Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I just bought my first RTT (Area BFE black clam shell). I am so pumped to use it. The wife and I are driving to Denver to pick it up a week from tomorrow. We are planning on camping in it on the way home to Nebraska. This leads me to my 2 questions....
1. What is the "go no-go" for wind? It looks like it will be blowing at about 22mph on the 10 day forcast. It also looks like little to no shelter from it at state park.
2. When I/we camp at a camp ground, are we considered a tent? Or does the RTT magically convert my Jeep to an RV?
Thanks!!!

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Wind should be no problem, but camp grounds usually have some trees so you will sleep better if the wind isn flapping the tent walls too badly.

Charges and classification depends on the camp ground. Most will charge tent fees for roof tent rigs, but it's best to call ahead and ask...

Reactions: ObiShawnKenobi

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You have a clam shell, mine was a regular RTT. My experience would be worse.
The highest wind I've slept in mine was about 50mph. That was misery. I got up and wrapped tie downs around it to control the flapping, the tent was fine. The people with me in ground tents did not fair as well. The two guys in that group with the clam shells, pointed into the wind and did very well with limited "side rustling" of the fabric. Both complained of the noise even though mine had to be worse. Still better then the ground tent guys.

I would recommend getting a large inflatable, insulated mattress or a mattress topper. I have never liked the stock foam mattress they came with.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
We faced 80 - 120 Kph gusts in a few bad storms on Iceland with our James Baroud clamshell. Strong winds throughout the nights. Checked the weather forecast when pulling into camp and pointed the nose into the wind. No problem with the tent holding out. Didn’t sleep of course with all the flapping of the walls and the grab handle strap. Thought we were going to lift off but it didn’t. 22 mph gusts should not be a problem.

Last edited:

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I just bought my first RTT (Area BFE black clam shell). I am so pumped to use it. The wife and I are driving to Denver to pick it up a week from tomorrow. We are planning on camping in it on the way home to Nebraska. This leads me to my 2 questions....
1. What is the "go no-go" for wind? It looks like it will be blowing at about 22mph on the 10 day forcast. It also looks like little to no shelter from it at state park.
2. When I/we camp at a camp ground, are we considered a tent? Or does the RTT magically convert my Jeep to an RV?
Thanks!!!
Do yourself a favor and cut off all the metal zipper pulls. Got hit by heavy winds in Joshua tree...rattle..clickety...rattle...clickety all night long. Replaced on my Alu-Cab with these:

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Thanks!!!
Do yourself a favor and cut off all the metal zipper pulls. Got hit by heavy winds in Joshua tree...rattle..clickety...rattle...clickety all night long. Replaced on my Alu-Cab with these:
your link didn't work. Never thought about the zippers rattling...

VoodooRanger

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Miami, Florida, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Blanco
Member #

Camping out in George Washington NF my brother and I had amazing views of the surrounding area. In the middle of the night the fog and heavy winds rolled in. My RTT sounded like it was being beat from all sides. Guesstimate winds had to be rolling through in the 20’s with peaks easily surpassing 30mph. Even with the tent mounted to the rack on my Ranger, I woke up thinking I was going to be blown off the mountain.

On your second question, I know when booking through a KOA for example, they have an option for “Pickup Camper”. If tent or RV are the only options then I would go with tent. I’d only make sure that if you state tent, that you’re not sent to one of those tent sites that you need to hike your stuff from your car.

Attachments

Reactions: Viking1204