Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I just ordered an awning for over our kitchen and have moved the 162lb RTT up on the Frontrunner brackets so that the awning can be mounted on the rear of the racks. I’m a bit concerned about 4 grade 8 bolts being enough to hold the RTT in its place. My anal retentive self says to get two more brackets. My common sense self says that the manufacturer knows what is needed and 4 mounting points is enough. What do fellow RTT folks think?40FCA0C3-790E-4D16-871F-F5001A6E3981.jpeg

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Personally, I think the shear/tensile strength of the bolts will be higher than the aluminum channel. I ran eight bolts on mine because I like drastic over kill.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Personally, I think the shear/tensile strength of the bolts will be higher than the aluminum channel. I ran eight bolts on mine because I like drastic over kill.
That's a very strong point that I hadn't considered. Hmmm. maybe I will, after all, get 4 more mounting brackets.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Don if you would like to get a bit more solid support of the tent by spreading the load over a bigger surface, we often add 3 extra Front Runner crossbars stacked on top of the existing bars. We then mount the tent to the 3 bars and the tent can clear the outer rail perfectly. There is a bit of cutting and drilling but it is far superior in support vs the tent brackets.

Reactions: MOAK

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I think the U-bolts that clamp on the bar are a better option.

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I use FrontRunners RTT quick release clamps. Makes pulling the tent off the top a lot easier than unscrewing clamp bolts.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

My bed rack has three hoops so it made sense to add two more mounting points. To keep people honest I bought some security brackets that prevent cutting through the bolt itself combined with a nut where you need a special adapter to loosen it.

IMG_0265_kindlephoto-48452264.jpg

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I have the Front Runner Tent mount Kit over my Slimline II Tall version. Makes it quite easy to install and uninstall when required. Just make sure if you get the tall, the height of the tent won't be a problem for you.