Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

We have had our RTT now for about five years and the mattress is starting to wear out. I don’t want to just buy a piece of foam not knowing the density. How do I shop? Does anyone know a good source?

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Found this on a web search. Might help someone else with the same problem:

“We have a pretty good mattress in the 'Nest. I ended up using a 2635 closed cell urethane foam. The measure 2635 means it has a density of 2.6 lbs/cu-ft and has an ILD of 35 lbs. Our mattress weighs about 20 lbs and I at 175 lbs sink maybe 20% of the way into it. There are foam places around (I got ours up in Boulder, CO, at a place called The Foam Source) and they can fix you up with just about anything you'd need. The key to finding a good mattress is knowing the ILD, which is indention load deflection. This is the measure of how much foam compresses under a weight. Ours is 35 lbs, which means a 50 sq-inch (generally round) indentor took 35 pounds to compress the foam 25%. An ILD of 35 would put this as a medium-firm mattress. I think ours is every bit (or more) comfortable as our home bed. A very firm mattress would be about an ILD of 50 and very soft mattress would be about an ILD of 20. Most average people find a comfortable mattress in the 25 to 45 range, but it does depend on the thickness of the foam.”

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

We have a free spirit Recreation tent and the mattress is a slab of concrete. We decided to get an expedition self inflating mattress for the tent.