Contributor II

Williamstown, NJ
First Name
Ross
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello all,

I just received my CVT Mt Hood and it looks awesome, can't wait to use it! I'm curious what methods you guys use to get your tents on top of your vehicles. 140lbs isn't super heavy, but it's pretty big and awkward. I can get some friends to help put it up there, but I don't want to have to rely on that every time I want to go camping. My girlfriend can assist, but she's barely 5'1", so reach is a bit of an issue for the top of the Jeep. My goal is something that I can do by myself with relative ease. I'm thinking about making some type of hoist, although clearance in the garage is going to be really close. Let's see what ideas are out there!

Nick_Gomez81

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Land O' Lakes, FL, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

I too have a CVT and had to rig up something. For me, I am lucky enough to have a large oak tree by the driveway so I throw over a rope and tie it off. Then I take a cheap block and tackle rig to that down to the tent underneath that has been cradled in some ratchet straps. It isn’t perfect, but is functional.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Twice a year I have my Son come over and we lift it off. I wax the tent and the roof of my truck and then we lift it back on.

Having the tent on the truck full time really does inspire more frequent outings. For me, that's what it's all about. :smiley:
IMG_1076.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: crossrifles

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My son and I lift it on and off the car or teardrop. Not that bad although I need to rig a hoist to get it done myself.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

On a Jeep? Good luck haha. You'll want a hoist or will have to rely on others to get it up that high without damage. In a pickup with a mid-height rack, I was able to flip it up onto the tailgate then flip it again up onto the rack. Trying to solo that much weight up that high without some sort of pulley system is a recipe for back problems with how bulky a tent is.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I used to put mine on and off solo all the time. My technique is as follows:

1) Bring the tent alongside the vehicle. Orient the tent so that it will be sitting properly when you lift it on (i.e. wherever you want the opening to be, now is the time to set the tent so it will be in the right spot).

2) Lift the tent straight up into the air parallel with the side of the vehicle.

3) Let the part of the tent that’s in the air fall onto the roof rack rail.

4) Lift from the bottom and slide it up to the other side.

I’ve done it this way with both my Tepui Kukenam and my Smittybilt XL (so both large and small tents) without too much of a problem. The aluminum was soft so it did not impact the power coat on my rack at all. Lifting 140lbs straight up is no joke but lift with the legs....and do it often enough it’ll seem much lighter ;) I’ll be honest I don’t know if I could do it now as my fitness has slipped quite a bit due to an illness (on the mend slowly but surely), and I would likely want a second person to help just in case.

Two people is MUCH easier, but the above method even with two people spares the back and avoids most of the unusual twisting of your back which can cause injury. But, if you have the ability to set up a hoist system, that’s your best bet. If you do not have room in your garage for a hoist, consider a hoist tripod system you can set up quickly and stow away. Google “Hoist Tripod” and you’ll see quite a few examples. The nice thing about a tripod is you can fold it down and stow it under a deck or alongside a garage outside, and only set it up when you need it.

You can also get a cheap Gantry Crane, depending on your area, and depending on your driveway or home situation. Harbour Freight may sell them; Princess Auto here in Canada sells them for around $800 CDN but they occasionally go on sale for less; $800 may not seem cheap, but it may represent excellent value if it allows to you to remove and install the RTT solo.

DIYTaco15

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

I back my truck into the garage and use a pulley attached to the ceiling and come along to lift it off. When its off it sits on a stand that I can move around

m&m_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cherokee, NC, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Martens
Member #

I borrowed this setup from an IG guy named jwaldz_ and it worked like a dream. I too needed a way to do it solo and was on a slim budget. Posting screenshots from his video. I have been too rushed to stop and take some pictures of mine in action. I have a smittybilt tent and push it up on my 5th gen 4Runner for visual reference.

Attachments

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Thanks for posting those images that was my plan for removal in the fall but I was wondering how to secure the 2x4 that will work perfectly.

I borrowed this setup from an IG guy named jwaldz_ and it worked like a dream. I too needed a way to do it solo and was on a slim budget. Posting screenshots from his video. I have been too rushed to stop and take some pictures of mine in action. I have a smittybilt tent and push it up on my 5th gen 4Runner for visual reference.

Reactions: m&m_overlander

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Me and my wife can take it off the truck fairly easy

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I used to put mine on and off solo all the time. My technique is as follows:

1) Bring the tent alongside the vehicle. Orient the tent so that it will be sitting properly when you lift it on (i.e. wherever you want the opening to be, now is the time to set the tent so it will be in the right spot).

2) Lift the tent straight up into the air parallel with the side of the vehicle.

3) Let the part of the tent that’s in the air fall onto the roof rack rail.

4) Lift from the bottom and slide it up to the other side.

I’ve done it this way with both my Tepui Kukenam and my Smittybilt XL (so both large and small tents) without too much of a problem. The aluminum was soft so it did not impact the power coat on my rack at all. Lifting 140lbs straight up is no joke but lift with the legs....and do it often enough it’ll seem much lighter ;) I’ll be honest I don’t know if I could do it now as my fitness has slipped quite a bit due to an illness (on the mend slowly but surely), and I would likely want a second person to help just in case.

Two people is MUCH easier, but the above method even with two people spares the back and avoids most of the unusual twisting of your back which can cause injury. But, if you have the ability to set up a hoist system, that’s your best bet. If you do not have room in your garage for a hoist, consider a hoist tripod system you can set up quickly and stow away. Google “Hoist Tripod” and you’ll see quite a few examples. The nice thing about a tripod is you can fold it down and stow it under a deck or alongside a garage outside, and only set it up when you need it.

You can also get a cheap Gantry Crane, depending on your area, and depending on your driveway or home situation. Harbour Freight may sell them; Princess Auto here in Canada sells them for around $800 CDN but they occasionally go on sale for less; $800 may not seem cheap, but it may represent excellent value if it allows to you to remove and install the RTT solo.
Oh Canada....

In the USA they call it Survivor.
In Canada we call it Camping.

• Haha
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

m&m_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cherokee, NC, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Thanks for posting those images that was my plan for removal in the fall but I was wondering how to secure the 2x4 that will work perfectly.
When it was shipped in, the truck dropped it straight on top of my 4Runner so I did the same system without the hooks to get the box down. More secure with the hooks obviously. I was worried it would slide too quick but it goes nice and easy both up and down. Even did it without the crate or table to give a lesser angle and it still goes okay.

Reactions: rgallant