Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Norm
Last Name
Kuppe
Member #

Started this and lost it, so here we go again
If you don’t agree, and are not happy don’t respond
Has anyone used a Zero Breeze to cool their RTT?
Got caught in Boulder City area on the shore of Lake Mead blowing hot air , it read 115
Ended up having to sleep in the Ranger with air on, strong 115 wind made impossible for us.
I live in AZ, so there are so many amazing places to explore, but heat is a real issue for us , we are not spring chicks anymore.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was looking at something like that a while ago. The specs on Zero breeze are pretty good. For me, I would want additional power. The specs say 3-4 hours on the built in battery, I would have more battery. Being 24 volt will just mean two batteries in series and charging in parallel.
They claim a 30 degree drop which I'm sure is based on low humidity. I didn't see a spec for it. Its still going to work.
The only thing that would make me hesitate is the insulation on an RTT. The less you have the less efficient its going to be. My teardrop on the other hand is very well insulated. This is why I was looking at them as a possibility.

There's another one, Icy breeze which is 1/3 of the price. It actually looks like they took a cheap fridge and ducted the air from it. A bit "iffy" on that one.

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
There are some more options around, from Ecoflow and another piece at a crowdfunding plattform:

I do own a Eurom, but those are too bulky and strong for a RTT.

trippin

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I'm curious about what options are other there. I just posted in the summer vs winter thread and my main complaint on summer is the lack of cool sleeping quarters.
To anyone who knows, at what temperature are these swamp coolers really good up to? 80-deg? 90-deg? I assume these do NOT work in any type of humidity.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I'm curious about what options are other there. I just posted in the summer vs winter thread and my main complaint on summer is the lack of cool sleeping quarters.
To anyone who knows, at what temperature are these swamp coolers really good up to? 80-deg? 90-deg? I assume these do NOT work in any type of humidity.
Like most things, there is a wide variety of kit options with a wide variety of costs involved. Actual A/C vs. A swamp/evaporative cooler are different and vary greatly in price. A small foam ice chest with a 12v fan and blocks of ice can be made in an hour and will cool off a tent for a few hours for under $30. A small evap cooler that plugs into a 12v plug and uses water can be purchased for under $100. (Susceptible to humidity more than other options). An actual A/C unit that can run off 110v generator/inverter will run from $100-$500. Not counting the cost of the generator/inverter that can run another $300-$1000+. Some other considerations might include where, when and for how long you need it? For example at the beach (sea level), in the summer (90+ degrees F) for 8+hours may need more A/C than in the mountains (9000 ft elevation) in the fall (75 degrees F) for 4 hrs (in the shade under a canopy of trees).

Can you give us more information? Where and when and how long you want your tent to be cooled? What is your preferred A/C temp? Some are good with sleeping at 55 degrees, some can sleep well at 80 degrees. Do you plan to camp in Georgia, Kansas, Idaho, California? At the beach or in the desert or mountains? In the Summer only or year round? Will you be camping for 1 to three nights or spending weeks or longer at a time camping? Will you be alone or have others with you like a spouse, children, elderly, pets? What is your budget and how much room do you have in your transport vehicle?

Not trying to discourage or be a smart-alek, just trying to ask enough questions that maybe you have not in order to provide an answer(s) that makes the most sense for you. Good luck.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

@lhoffm4, I'm sure this is really directed at the OP but, for me, 68-degF is a perfect sleeping temperature. My friends and I used to do an annual trip to the beach for camping and fishing and it could get mighty humid at night. Nothing worse than waking up wet.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not here. I haven't been able to justify one yet. My summer camping is mountains so no real heat at night.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

My BIL bought one of those units that basically blows air through an ice chest. He was planning to use it in his airplane. He was quite underwhelmed with it and sent it back. Not much of a data point, but still.

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
If you have an RTT that can fit a winter insulation cover like at Tepui Ayer this might be viable. But 5-8 hour max runtime and a standard RTT I am not sure how much it will help it would actually be. 1500.00 is pretty steep in my mind for the Sero Breeze and it has issues battery charge time and leaking water.

But having read the reviews it might work ok after dark to get the RTT cool and stay that way, but it is a lot of money to find out it does not work well for your needs

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Started this and lost it, so here we go again
If you don’t agree, and are not happy don’t respond
Has anyone used a Zero Breeze to cool their RTT?
Got caught in Boulder City area on the shore of Lake Mead blowing hot air , it read 115
Ended up having to sleep in the Ranger with air on, strong 115 wind made impossible for us.
I live in AZ, so there are so many amazing places to explore, but heat is a real issue for us , we are not spring chicks anymore.
We tested the Zero Breeze under very hot and humid conditions and found it very underwhelming. Our conclusion was that it's definitely not worth the $1500 price.

Reactions: NoMoreGreen

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Look forward to a report on the Ecoflow Wave 2 if you have the time.

It is awesome! But you have to be realistic about it.

1. If it's humid you need to drain it.
2. Use the 5 & 6 inch hoses as the installation guide says. It makes the unit work way more efficiently.
3. It's best for bedtime. During the day it's good for a break but in the evening it really rocks.

I got the extra battery which is nice. They don't make charging the easiest on this but if you like ecoflow and get their power station you'll be in a good spot. It'll charge with up to 400w solar. I've got 200w and pull about 175 average here in coastal Georgia.

Reactions: NoMoreGreen