Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

After life got in the way of finishing my last teardrop and the wind forcefully opening the back hatch further than it should, we're starting over. Would probably be close to done if I wasn't also building the tow rig.

It was:

IMG_1527.jpg

(Sold the fenders to a friend who's building a similar teardrop.)

Which was functional, but you can see my lack of finishing it lead to it deteriorating. Pretty expensive mistake. I suppose I could have made this work but the vision turned to something far more capable on trails. This design was based on a 1940's Kenskill, literally using some parts from one, but the original had itself been high centered at some point. It was also too narrow at 4'. Just not wide enough for married people. Maybe would have been ok during the dating years.

I thought the original galley worked well, if too small. At the time, I thought it was genius to put the water tank with spigot above a small tote as a sink. I would absolutely do that again for a budget camper, if I needed to. This time I'm likely to put water elsewhere and use an electric faucet instead, with a gray water tank below the sink, and keep the space above for storage.

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20160623_230407.JPG

Tore the old camper down to its frame:

IMG_1548.JPEG

Cut it up to make it 1' wider. Purposefully did not align the cuts, so it wouldn't have a hinge point, and cut out an unnecessary cross-member to use for the additional width material.

IMG_1552.JPEG

IMG_1557.JPEG

(Yes, the back hitch receiver is off-centered...dangit. It's fixed now.)

Didn't take any pictures of them but I replaced the 2K lb half-torsion axles with 3,500 lb Timbren braked half-axles. They carry the stock wheels and tires from the 4Runner. Put in a couple of steel hoops to carry the roof rack and the back hatch. Also reshaped/reinforced the front end. It will have built-in storage up front, with doors on both sides, not the same black box. I hated digging through that thing.

IMG_1664.JPEG

Cut the pieces for the floor and sides:

IMG_1665.JPEG

And then the front pieces. With the spare tire up front, the wife says it looks like the gerbil she had as a kid. The camper is now called "Squeaky." (That front tongue looks weak...gotta do something about that.)

IMG_1675.JPEG

That's a large Setpower fridge. Will also have a power station in the front compartment. That entire back opening will be covered by a single side-swing door. Strong enough to hold shelves as counter space. Thought about doing double-swings but don't know if I can get the center seam waterproofed well enough. I know trucks do it, but...

I think I will miss the "roof" you get with a up-swing hatch, but I want the counterspace. I plan on French cleats to carry the counters and possibly even the camp stove. We'll have a 270 degree awning on this anyway.

IMG_1673.JPEG

It is currently tongue heavy, but with the large door and a dirt bike carried on the back, I think it will be ok. The axle attachment will be somewhat configurable after I lower it. Just in case...

Next up:

- Fenders should be here soon. I chose to go with pre-made diamond plate fenders, rather than make my own.
- Build out the fender supports and integrated side-steps.
- Pull all the wood off.
- Attached the fenders.
- Raise the entire frame 3" off the axles to get it to align better with the towing receiver.
- Paint the frame.
- Move on to the rest of the wood parts...

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

I haven’t even started researching those yet. Still trying to get over the decision fatigue between this trailer and the tow vehicle… I’d take recommendations!

tyndall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I don’t know if people refer to it as shuttering ply in the US- it’s ply used for making concrete shutters- people obviously use it for anything they want,but that’s how some of us in the UK refer to that grade of ply- it’s generally a bit cheaper than WBP or marine grade

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Ah. It's probably the cheapest grade to be found. Not sure the local home center has different grades though... It is utility grade, not sanded or anything. I think I've decided to foam insulate and panelize the inside. I've already received the filon to put on the outside.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I looked into skinning with both filon and acm panels on mine. Unfortunately, both were more than I wanted to spend, personally. They're super cool materials though.

You're making faster progress than I am.

BTW, ironman4x4america.com currently has their 270 degree awning with walls for 50% off. Brings the total down to about 650 before shipping. They make solid products, and have great customer service (IMHO). That's what I'm planning on putting on mine down the road.

Last edited:

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

I was pretty committed to PMF but then saw my buddy's and his filon. It looks really clean. I'm also going to be putting vinyl decals on the side and wondered if PMF would take them. I justified it by thinking my time to skin it would be worth something.

Haven't touched it for 2 weeks now. The fenders ordered on Amazon got lost in the mail. New set coming from etrailer now. Could have built my own but the steel alone would have been more expensive. Maybe faster progress, but much to my father-in-law's chagrin, I'm not committed to superb craftsmanship. It certainly isn't going to fall apart, and it's mostly straight, but I'm not remaking entire pieces just because it's a little off. Although I wish 10 year younger me had been a little more quality conscious on the frame.

Thanks for the tip! That's awesome. Ordered one. I got my lift kit from Ironman. Service was pretty good on that.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I was pretty committed to PMF but then saw my buddy's and his filon. It looks really clean. I'm also going to be putting vinyl decals on the side and wondered if PMF would take them. I justified it by thinking my time to skin it would be worth something.

Haven't touched it for 2 weeks now. The fenders ordered on Amazon got lost in the mail. New set coming from etrailer now. Could have built my own but the steel alone would have been more expensive. Maybe faster progress, but much to my father-in-law's chagrin, I'm not committed to superb craftsmanship. It certainly isn't going to fall apart, and it's mostly straight, but I'm not remaking entire pieces just because it's a little off. Although I wish 10 year younger me had been a little more quality conscious on the frame.

Thanks for the tip! That's awesome. Ordered one. I got my lift kit from Ironman. Service was pretty good on that.
Oh, I totally get it. I'm building mine as more of a prototype. Hopefully, I can drum up enough interest and build it well enough that I could potentially build them for others, and come in cheaper than most of the other manufacturers. Who knows though. I originally was set on going with an ACM skin, but but opted to save the budget on the skin, and spend that in other areas. The ACM panels would have been almost a grand by themselves, and Filon is close, if not more. One thing I DO NOT regret spending money on, is my doors. Yes, they were EXPENSIVE. But 100% worth it. I too, would have prefered a lift up galley hatch, but they're impossible to find, and having one custom made would have been double what the rear door was (and that already cost $850 after shipping).

But I'm not building my own doors again anytime soon.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Well son uv a.... The fenders from eTrailers were waaaaay too small. I thought they all came in 9" or 10" wide and at least 31" across. These weren't even close. What the heck?

Oh well. On to building my own.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well son uv a.... The fenders from eTrailers were waaaaay too small. I thought they all came in 9" or 10" wide and at least 31" across. These weren't even close. What the heck?

Oh well. On to building my own.
I mean, there are different sizes. If I had the ability to build my own, I absolutely would.