Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Picked up some used Rotopax from a coworker for what I thought was a great deal. Got them home and realized there are a few issues...

The gas cans leak. Not sure if this is just user error but I took one to the gas station and put the cap back on and it proceeded to pour gas everywhere the second it started sloshing around. Pretty sure you’re supposed to be able to mount these things on their side so there’s definitely something going on there. I confirmed the rubber seal is in place so that should be it, it just looks like the filler neck is straight through. With the filler neck installed I can just tip them on their side without pushing the tab in or anything. Is it possible I just need new filler necks/caps?

While we’re on that subject, I got two of the water packs and they have no caps at all. Tried searching through the Rotopax website but it’s hard to tell what caps for what bottles and such. Are there any third party replacements before I spend all the money on oem? Would also be nice if I could have some kind of spigot attachment-not sure if that’s a thing..

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

The spigots for water and fuel are the same. Contact Rotopax CS and they can get you new spigots and caps.

When you put the spigot inside the can (inverted) the rubber gasket on the outside should seal and keep it from leaking. They can be mounted in any direction, but for me, failsafe vertical mounting with the cap on top is what I do. there is a roof rack company who has a "stackable" horizontal mount, so obviously they should seal.

Post a pic of the fuel can fill hole and the spigot/cap. Either you didnt tighten the cap down snug enough, the seal on the end of the spigot is toast or there is a crack in the fill hole.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I was interested in getting some of these to mount the cans horizontally on a roof rack. After checking out the reviews on Amazon, it was clear there were just too many complaints of leaks. Even just a few for a product like this is way too many in my mind.