Roof top fuel carrier for 4 Runner

• HTML tutorial

Ross

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Augusta, SC
Member #

Interesting.. I've got the exact maxtrax.. I couldn't get all four holders in place due to the tight fit, so I have one maxtrax holder that is locked and the other three handles ziptied to the rack.. I used the heavy duty ones.. I keep a few extras, but it's easy to cut them if I need to get them off, which has only been once.. What size cans are those?

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

EscoTerrestrial

US East Region Member Rep
Staff member
Investor

Influencer II

Port Washington, NY, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

Hmm gonna look into this for my flat baja rack, awesome thread n pics [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: T4RWARRIOR

T4RWARRIOR

Rank III

Advocate II

Here is my cheap setup for my traction boards. A scepter 5gal jerry just gets strapped to roof rack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Interesting. Do you have any other photos on how you connected the maxtrax to the Gobi Ladder? When I eventually add a rooftop tent on my rack, Im trying to look at other alternatives to mounting my maxtrax. This might be the solution. Thank you

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

So after searching far and wide for an affordable solution for mounting and mounting on the ladder where I had easier access, I came up with this.

I had excess 1 inch pvc conduit lying around and went to work. I used plumbers glue on the interior/hatch side of the backpipe, elbows and side pipes. I left the front elbows and pipe untouched so that I can slide on and off easily. I drilled holes and used coder pins to secure the traction boards in place. I used crossed zip ties to hold the pvc devices on the ladder once I had it lined up because I didn't want to drill into the ladder. I just wrapped the piping with black tape. It's ghetto but it works well, it's served multiple offroad events and a winter, and it was free.[emoji106]

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

So after searching far and wide for an affordable solution for mounting and mounting on the ladder where I had easier access, I came up with this.

I had excess 1 inch pvc conduit lying around and went to work. I used plumbers glue on the interior/hatch side of the backpipe, elbows and side pipes. I left the front elbows and pipe untouched so that I can slide on and off easily. I drilled holes and used coder pins to secure the traction boards in place. I used crossed zip ties to hold the pvc devices on the ladder once I had it lined up because I didn't want to drill into the ladder. I just wrapped the piping with black tape. It's ghetto but it works well, it's served multiple offroad events and a winter, and it was free.[emoji106]

One thing to note, the 4runner hatch struts do fine with the gobi ladder, but adding the traction boards prevents it from staying raided on its own. I got the HD struts from lift supports depot. They're inexpensive compared to Gobi and they're great.

T4RWARRIOR

Rank III

Advocate II

I like it!I might just have to do this once i put a roof top ten on my rack, since I wont have space on the top anymore. Thank you for sharing. Looks good!. Its free and it works. Awesome!

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
<br /><br /><br />Smitty bilt<br /><br />Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

I would think about a different place for you Hi-Lift. If you were to get in an accident you might find it in your lap. That is a lot of metal to have going though the windshield.

Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Eric Redden

Rank 0

Traveler I

ATLANTA, GA Area
Member #

<br /><br /><br />Smitty bilt<br /><br />Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

I would think about a different place for you Hi-Lift. If you were to get in an accident you might find it in your lap. That is a lot of metal to have going though the windshield.

Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app
I've been told lol I really like it there though and it doesn't budge what so ever...Be cool if they did a crash dummy test with it though!

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app