Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Tan Valley, Pinal County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Malloy Sr.
Member #

OK, my rig is a 2013 Silverado crew cab. I've researched just about everything overlanding and everything starts at 2014 and up. Mounting anything on the cab doesn't seem like an option as there are no gutters, etc unless I opt for bars from Thule/Rhino/etc. Next option is on my camper shell but I don't want anything modular like the Rhino Pioneer or Frontrunner. They look well built but most roads/trails in AZ are pretty rutty and I've heard of the modular racks coming apart with vibration. The ARB base rack seems like my best option as it a solid welded rack but my concern is mounting and waterproofing once I start drilling into the shell. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not to be a curmudgeon or anything, but I’ve heard rumor about modular roof racks coming apart as well. However, mine, over the past 8 years and thousands of off pavement miles hasn’t even developed a loose bolt or nut. I’ve never met anyone that has had any problems with one loosening up, rattling or coming apart, at all. Decades ago I had a welded rack, not only did some of the welds break, but I had to have new hoops fabricated as they rusted through in less than 5 years. I hope this helps in your decision making process as all too often we all make decisions based upon rumor or unsubstantiated stories and end up regretful. If your mind is made up, good luck to you.. peace out-

Reactions: dstock

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Not to be a curmudgeon or anything, but I’ve heard rumor about modular roof racks coming apart as well. However, mine, over the past 8 years and thousands of off pavement miles hasn’t even developed a loose bolt or nut. I’ve never met anyone that has had any problems with one loosening up, rattling or coming apart, at all. Decades ago I had a welded rack, not only did some of the welds break, but I had to have new hoops fabricated as they rusted through in less than 5 years. I hope this helps in your decision making process as all too often we all make decisions based upon rumor or unsubstantiated stories and end up regretful. If your mind is made up, good luck to you.. peace out-
yep, every contractor has them. they wouldn't if they rattled apart. the issue is likely unskilled labor assembling them. but nylox nuts will resolve any rattling loose issues

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
yep, every contractor has them. they wouldn't if they rattled apart. the issue is likely unskilled labor assembling them. but nylox nuts will resolve any rattling loose issues
You know what? I forgot about that. A lifetime ago I had a contracting business and the racks on my pick up bolted together and bolted upon the side boxes. I just don't understand the negative propaganda concerning modular racks. The South Africans or the Australians, both overlanding havens, cannot possibly be wrong. Those folks use what works.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I agree with everyone on the durability of modular racks. I love the fact that they are modular and I can easily add on diffrent mounting. As for the front runners, I have a few friends with them and one of the guys had an issue with the corner trim on his. Its not structural, just cosmetic. If that's a "thing" with the front runners, that could be the bad press their having.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Those are simple load bars: I’m a purist, I think of definition # 1 when referring to something atop a vehicle.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
What about an over-shell contractor rack? I didn’t see one mentioned. That way it bolts to the truck bed rails and not the topper nor the cab. That’s what I started with. Then added an expanded metal deck for storage and for hanging solar panels. Contractor racks are definitely strong enough for both static and dynamic loads, can cover the entire truck bumper to bumper and serve a multitude of functions from supporting gear, tents, awnings, recovery gear, etc.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

What about an over-shell contractor rack? I didn’t see one mentioned. That way it bolts to the truck bed rails and not the topper nor the cab. That’s what I started with. Then added an expanded metal deck for storage and for hanging solar panels. Contractor racks are definitely strong enough for both static and dynamic loads, can cover the entire truck bumper to bumper and serve a multitude of functions from supporting gear, tents, awnings, recovery gear, etc.
As you've seen, I have a shell on mine, but I think this "over-shell" contractor type is great. Seen it in other threads. A nice shell for dry, safe storage or sleeping, and the contractor rack for kayaks, RTT, spare wheel, or whatever

Reactions: lhoffm4

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm thinking no matter what you drive someone makes a bolt on rack.
Ya might need to adjust yer expectations but the market is soo huge, someone will have a solution.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS callsign WRTJ513
I'm thinking no matter what you drive someone makes a bolt on rack.
Ya might need to adjust yer expectations but the market is soo huge, someone will have a solution.
Thank goodness! There's still hope for my 69 mustang!

Reactions: lhoffm4

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS callsign WRTJ513
Unfortunately that looks like a 65 / 66, and not a fastback. Nice try though! :) I appreciate the try!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Yea, pic was 67. Did a quick search for 69, got racks like that but no good pic.
Funny how things like that were popular on cars long ago. We called them "Luggage Racks" and "Roof Racks". I use to see them literally installed with sheet metal screws.