Roof rack storage ideas...let's see them!

• HTML tutorial

AlabamaDan

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like the look of a roof rack, especially when it's loaded up with some gear. It looks like you could head off in the bush and stay there. From a practical standpoint however, do they make sense? It seems like they would make you top heavy. I also worry that someone will steal stuff off of it. Wind noise. Reduced MPG. Don't get me wrong, they are very cool. Are my other concerns invalid?

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I like the look of a roof rack, especially when it's loaded up with some gear. It looks like you could head off in the bush and stay there. From a practical standpoint however, do they make sense? It seems like they would make you top heavy. I also worry that someone will steal stuff off of it. Wind noise. Reduced MPG. Don't get me wrong, they are very cool. Are my other concerns invalid?
They make sense from a practical stand point to me. If I didn’t have one, I couldn’t go out camping with my family. I’ve got an LR3, with 5 to 7 people and a dog there’s not much room left inside for gear. I can load a full size spare, axe, hi-lift, shovel and 2 108 quart Plano tubs and hardly know they’re there on the highway. My rack is fairly quiet, it was more noticeable when I switched tires than when I added the rack. MPGs weren’t affected much, if any. I still average nearly the same on my commute. I generally cruise at 70 instead of 80 when it’s loaded to not push the vehicle too hard. I don’t do any crazy off camber stuff with my wife in the car because I want her to come with next time.

As with any accessory you have to weight the pros, cons and necessity of it. You obviously need to be smart about what goes up there and then drive accordingly.

In my case it’s necessary, at least until I can finish my trailer.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

B2955D65-3E99-43ED-ABB3-9A6ED4BCC375.jpeg Plenty of people ask me why do I leave the Cvt tent on, even though it’s not that hard to take off. To be honest I just like the fact that if something is going on regarding outdoors or fishing, Iam ready. Does it limit me... yes but does it empower me.. most definitely.. Iam ready and willing for what ever.. the rhino pioneer stay on and the husky cargo boxes remain on the bed covered by the topper.

Last edited:

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I have a cargo rack. Currently its setting in the garage, on this trip I wanted to fold the top back on my jeep. But I am missing the gear storage. I was also informed by my wife that I will have the rack on for our next trip...she wants to bring a bigger suitcase than she could this trip.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Prinsu Design full-length rack with ARB 2500 awning, RoadShower 4, Front Runner Jerry Can Mount, and Gobi ladder Not shown is the GMRS antenna mount.. Half of the space is covered with FarmTek chicken coop flooring. I also mount the 100W Renogy rigid solar panel up there as needed.

View attachment 68303
Great idea using chicken coop flooring! Probably well worth buying new vs. used, eh? lol

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
RTT, Lights all 4 sides, axe, 2 Zarges aluminum cases for recovery gear and auto parts/oil/antifreeze/etc... stuff I don’t need to get to every day. Cases are held down with locking steel reinforced straps in case I want to take them down easily. I didn’t want to punch holes in them as they are water resistant and expensive. They hold a ton of gear.IMG_0095.JPGIMG_0653.JPG

Reactions: RoarinRow