Roof rack recommendations?

• HTML tutorial
Anybody know of any good racks for an XJ? Or a rack compatible with the xj gutter system/rails? I want something wide, I don't like the look of a narrow roof rack in the middle of a rig. Low profile would be best. Don't want anything too boxy and tall. Would be using it for possibly a canopy/awning, water/fuel storage, etc. Anybody got anything? Picture attached is how my rig sits as of now. IMG_2260.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I have been on a search for a roof rack for my JKU. I stumbled across Gobi and saw one in person. They are built so stinking solid. It costs quite a bit of coin but again quality looked super good. I just did a google search and found they made one for the xj.

http://www.eadoffroad.com/gobi-gjcr-jeep-cherokee-xj-roof-rack

I know others will chime in!

Reactions: Michael

TN_4Runner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Clarksville, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Anybody know of any good racks for an XJ? Or a rack compatible with the xj gutter system/rails? I want something wide, I don't like the look of a narrow roof rack in the middle of a rig. Low profile would be best. Don't want anything too boxy and tall. Would be using it for possibly a canopy/awning, water/fuel storage, etc. Anybody got anything? Picture attached is how my rig sits as of now. View attachment 8257
Look at Front Runner Slimlines. They have a lot of accessories that they make as well.

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
Look for used yakima stuff. Since XJs have full length gutters you can mount multiple Yakima bars using their 1A gutter mount. I've been using Yakima stuff for over 20 years and trust it completely. You can build onto it as you have money To start two bars and a mega warrior will get you started. I have four cross bars and 8 gutter mounts in my 80 series land cruiser. The front two bars handle either bike trays or a basket if I choose to use that instead. He rear two bars handle my roof top tent.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Rola is a decent rack for the money, about $250 with the extension. It's a fairly low profile, about a 4" height I think.

I personally run a Bison rack (same as Curt and Arksen) with the extension on my Explorer and it works pretty well. I paid $120 shipped on ebay. It's a bit taller at about 6".

Neither one of these racks are going to be as strong as a Gobi or other high end rack but you have to consider how much weight you plan to put up there, anyway. Especially if you're using the factory roof bars to support it. My rack is rated for 150 pounds, which is what my factory rails and bars will support, and honestly I wouldn't want more than that on my roof anyway.

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
Rola is a decent rack for the money, about $250 with the extension. It's a fairly low profile, about a 4" height I think.

I personally run a Bison rack (same as Curt and Arksen) with the extension on my Explorer and it works pretty well. I paid $120 shipped on ebay. It's a bit taller at about 6".

Neither one of these racks are going to be as strong as a Gobi or other high end rack but you have to consider how much weight you plan to put up there, anyway. Especially if you're using the factory roof bars to support it. My rack is rated for 150 pounds, which is what my factory rails and bars will support, and honestly I wouldn't want more than that on my roof anyway.
That's the beauty of an XJ and other vehicles that have full length gutters. You don't have to use the factory roof rack. It's actually almost silly to to use the factory roof rack when there are significantly stronger gutters to use. The other beauty of gutters is that anything made to be a gutter mount will work on it. No need to hunt for stuff that's specific to the XJ factory rails.

nrlarson0107

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colstrip, MT, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Start with Yakima 1a mounts and bars and build from there. A lower cost alternative is an ATV ramp. I could not find a low profile rack in the dimensions I wanted and I could afford. I ended up buying a $100 ramp, cut the hinges off and bolted it together. Platform is 48" wide, 72" long. Here is a picture just after I mounted it on the roof.

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
Start with Yakima 1a mounts and bars and build from there. A lower cost alternative is an ATV ramp. I could not find a low profile rack in the dimensions I wanted and I could afford. I ended up buying a $100 ramp, cut the hinges off and bolted it together. Platform is 48" wide, 72" long. Here is a picture just after I mounted it on the roof.
Pretty sure those aren't the 1A mounts in your photo though.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

A buddy of mine has the ARB roof rack for his XJ. Not as expensive as the Gobi rack. He has been pretty happy with it overall. We just did a big desert trip and it held up really well.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

for me there is only one option. it's the Hannibal Roof Rack from South Africa

Hannibal-rack-alloy-500x500.jpg

there are a whole range of accessories which bolt straight on to the rack. here are a few of them.

rack-accessories.jpg