Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

I am in the design/planning of a new setup. Still only on paper.

I am wanting to have a lift off canopy on a single cab tray back. So, I cannot (do not want too) have the spare wheels mounted on the back. I would like to use the full length of the tray, so I did not want to use the front of the tray behind the cab.

Because:
1. Swing arms would get in the way of the lift off canopy
2. Spare wheels mounted to canopy would be left behind if you go site seeing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I have notice some have the spare wheel mounted on the roof.

My questions are:
1. How do you get the spare wheel up and down?
2. Anybody built (or know of) a device to be able to get them up and down easily?
3. Any other suggestions?

I know there a lot of disadvantages of having the spare wheels on the roof like wind drag.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Hapla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

I am in the design/planning of a new setup. Still only on paper.

I am wanting to have a lift off canopy on a single cab tray back. So, I cannot (do not want too) have the spare wheels mounted on the back. I would like to use the full length of the tray, so I did not want to use the front of the tray behind the cab.

Because:
1. Swing arms would get in the way of the lift off canopy
2. Spare wheels mounted to canopy would be left behind if you go site seeing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I have notice some have the spare wheel mounted on the roof.

My questions are:
1. How do you get the spare wheel up and down?
2. Anybody built (or know of) a device to be able to get them up and down easily?
3. Any other suggestions?

I know there a lot of disadvantages of having the spare wheels on the roof like wind drag.
Right now I lift it up and down by hand. I'm 6'2" so the hight isn't the issue because I only run a 3" lift on 33"s. The big issue is footing becaus3 you know it's going to be wet rock or mud where you have to change it. LOL

I have been thinking about making a sider like in a drawer and then just add a tilt. For me it would have to come off the side and more then likely on the passanger side. Biggest problem would be making a locking system that is 100% secure for both bumping along a trail and at highway spead.

I haven't drawn anything up or anything but I have been thinking about it. In the end for me I think a bumper mount would end up beimg better.

Looking for no cell service but sending this from my smarter then it should be Samsung smart phone. ;)

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

I have been thinking about making a sider like in a drawer and then just add a tilt. For me it would have to come off the side and more then likely on the passanger side. Biggest problem would be making a locking system that is 100% secure for both bumping along a trail and at highway spead.

I haven't drawn anything up or anything but I have been thinking about it. In the end for me I think a bumper mount would end up beimg better.
I was thinking the same. A slide that would tilt bring the wheel down to a manageable height. But I was hoping someone had done all the hard work of design and testing:smile:.

Another idea was to have a arm/rack that would slide out, with a pulley or winch (manual/electric) on the end to lower and raise the wheel. Like an upside down slider idea without the tilt. Something like how they mount the spare wheel under the body, but with a longer chain/rope.

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

These are some of the ideas I was thinking. Feasibility has not even been though of in putting pen to paper.

The images only show one side. There would be a matching side to hold the spare wheel stable.

Ideas.jpg

So what are people thoughts, comment, likes, dislikes and just will not work comments :smile:. I am thick skinned and would like to know other peoples thoughts Good:smile: or Bad:worried:.

Of course I do not want to reinvent the (Spare) wheel if someone has already designed something that works.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Your idea is similar to a Thule Hullavator kayak lifting mechanism. Seems practical.

Hapla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

Figure A.. This would have to be a little big.. as high as the tire is wide. Or you would have to have the winch or pully above where the tire will be. Sure thing a branch will take it out faster then fast. :(

Figuer B.. You just have to make sure of two things. 1) when the tire and arms swing down they can't hit the windows or body. I haven't been able to figure out anything that is actually practical. 2) You would have to figure a way to make it rock hard secure. I wouldn't what they letting go some how.

Looking for no cell service but sending this from my smarter then it should be Samsung smart phone. ;)