Traveler III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Lucia
Last Name
Matioli
Member #

Hey everyone.
I’m looking at rock sliders for my rig as next add on.
Does anyone have any suggestions about DOM vs HREW? I’ve read in some. Formula the most suggest the DOM. Curios the difference.
Also, anyone know a good welder in the east bay to recommend?

Thanks!

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I recently purchased a set, and I went with .188 DOM, simply because it is a stronger than any HREW.

I also bought the thickest ones I could find manufactured, even though they are heavier. But I know one day I’ll need the protection. Its overkill for a 4Runner, but I trust it when I land on it.

Rob Mainwaring

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Whitby, ON, Canada
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mainwaring
Member #

DOM - Drawn Over Mandrel tubing is seamless tubing . The tube is created by forcing the steel over a piercing mandrel.
HREW - Hot Roller Electric Welded tubing is a rolled tube that has a welded seam along the length of the tubing.

DOM tubing is usually more costly to produce. It is also stronger since it doesn't have the welded seam.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Screenshot from RCI Metalwork’s site. I installed their sliders on my (wife’s) Tacoma. The kick out saved pax side body damage after the rear tire slipped off a rock and slammed into a rock wall. Only damage was scuffed powder coat.

Attachments

Reactions: Funner98

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

I had HREW sliders on a Tacoma I had. I went with them because it was a 4 cylinder, stock brakes, and I didn't bash on it hard. They only ever saw use pushing stumps and trees away. Depends on what you see yourself doing and how concerned you are about extra weight.

Blake87

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Wake Forest, NC, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Blakeney
Member #

Hey everyone.
I’m looking at rock sliders for my rig as next add on.
Does anyone have any suggestions about DOM vs HREW? I’ve read in some. Formula the most suggest the DOM. Curios the difference.
Also, anyone know a good welder in the east bay to recommend?

Thanks!
I found this video interesting, it may help

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Rachel and I bought the DOM sliders from 4XInnovations. They have been great, but to be honest, we’ve not had to test them. We don’t really do The rock crawling thing. Lots of back roads, dirt, mud, sand, and some rocky trails. But we have never banged into anything.

We have used them to fend off the odd tree or log on tight switch backs and they have stopped lots of people from banging their doors into our rig.

My opinion, the 100 pounds worth of DOM tubing (or whatever the weight is) is overkill for our rig. When we build another rig, we’ll probably go with a less stout slider unless our driving plans push us toward more difficult stuff.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

HREW is fine for 90% of what most people do (and I'm including dedicated rock crawlers)

DOM is great and a definite want for roll-cage work, but it's going to be rather expensive for something you know you'll bash on, is not there to protect your life, and is a replaceable item (like sliders). Had HREW sliders for a 2 door jeep I wheeled pretty hard, paint was scratched but the sliders held up fine to pinwheeling off of. I also just built a big heavy Van with 1.75" .120 wall HREW and have lifted the thing up off the ground using the sliders, still all's good.

Reactions: DMS1 and Funner98

Funner98

Rank III

Traveler III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Lucia
Last Name
Matioli
Member #

Rachel and I bought the DOM sliders from 4XInnovations. They have been great, but to be honest, we’ve not had to test them. We don’t really do The rock crawling thing. Lots of back roads, dirt, mud, sand, and some rocky trails. But we have never banged into anything.

We have used them to fend off the odd tree or log on tight switch backs and they have stopped lots of people from banging their doors into our rig.

My opinion, the 100 pounds worth of DOM tubing (or whatever the weight is) is overkill for our rig. When we build another rig, we’ll probably go with a less stout slider unless our driving plans push us toward more difficult stuff.
I was looking at them as an option. I’m at this point not planning on doing any rock crawling either. So that’s for that tip!

Reactions: Virginiawilderness

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I also recommend going with HREW, I used that for bumpers and sliders and never had an issue. One thing to note, is when bending HREW, you want to have the welded seam on the inside of the bend.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Hello!

We've designed a gorgeous and functional set of sliders and we are stacking a group buy on top of our current sale. If anyone would like a set and get an extra $100 off please just let me know.

*HREW or DOM 120/180

*Tacoma, Tundra, FJ Cruiser, Lexus GX/LX and 4Runner

*Shipping is flat rate of $150

*Local pickup is available if you're near Chadwicks, NY

Explore Overland (explore-overland.com)

Let me know if you have any questions. We are happy to help!

Matt

Attachments