Rank II

Enthusiast I

Cheyenne, Laramie County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Roney
Member #

Hello fellow adventure junkies, I would love for you to share some of your wisdom with me. I’m installing rock lights on my 2014 f150 crew with 6.5 ft bed. Should I install two per wheel well, and two in the rocker area per side? Or one in each well and one per rocker? Last but not least two in each well, one per rocker and one front and rear. Please help me figure out the best set up. This thing is long.

Reactions: 307dulaney

Western Skies Overland-WY

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Cheyenne, Laramie County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Roney
Member #

Hello fellow adventure junkies, I would love for you to share some of your wisdom with me. I’m installing rock lights on my 2014 f150 crew with 6.5 ft bed. Should I install two per wheel well, and two in the rocker area per side? Or one in each well and one per rocker? Last but not least two in each well, one per rocker and one front and rear. Please help me figure out the best set up. This thing is long. This is my test subject with one per well and one on the rocker. Thanks

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
On my Ram Megacab, I installed all lights on the frame, 1 each at the end of each rail, and three equal spaced along the rail between the rails, does not light up the tires, but does provide great coverage on the ground all around.1651946094396.jpeg

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

On my 4runner I am using the first Gen KC cyclones. I have a light in front and 2 between front and rear tires. Per side of course. I would also have one behind each rear tire but I have some reverse lights that light ground well so don’t need them. With your wheelbase maybe a 3rd one between tires. With wheel well mounting the tire seems to cast a decent shadow on the ground and you don’t get good useful light on the ground.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
On my 4runner I am using the first Gen KC cyclones. I have a light in front and 2 between front and rear tires. Per side of course. I would also have one behind each rear tire but I have some reverse lights that light ground well so don’t need them. With your wheelbase maybe a 3rd one between tires. With wheel well mounting the tire seems to cast a decent shadow on the ground and you don’t get good useful light on the ground.
Bought a set of the Cyclones for our JK project, but have not got arouond to installing them yet, hoping they are as good as the rest of the KC's that we have, like that we can add color lenses to them, thinking yellow and dimmed with the Switch pros for lighting around camp that might not attract as many bugs

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just a heads up for some of you. Lights under a vehicle are illegal in Colorado. They may not enforce it, but if you piss off the cop, it is one more ticket you can get.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Just a heads up for some of you. Lights under a vehicle are illegal in Colorado. They may not enforce it, but if you piss off the cop, it is one more ticket you can get.
They are not street legal in Washington also, although in these days the police are so unsupported and short staffed here that they pretty much don't have time for those types of things, especially if you have not to bright white, not the disco multicolor flashing ones from Amazon. I love to have them for off road, campsite, and set to come on when you open the door so you can see the puddle BEFORE your feet hit it...lol

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Bought a set of the Cyclones for our JK project, but have not got arouond to installing them yet, hoping they are as good as the rest of the KC's that we have, like that we can add color lenses to them, thinking yellow and dimmed with the Switch pros for lighting around camp that might not attract as many bugs
I’ve been happy with them. Pretty bright. Had to make more mounting brackets for my install. Wish they supplied more than two of the right angle brackets. The Switch Pro dimming function does work with them. Just checked. :)

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Hello fellow adventure junkies, I would love for you to share some of your wisdom with me. I’m installing rock lights on my 2014 f150 crew with 6.5 ft bed. Should I install two per wheel well, and two in the rocker area per side? Or one in each well and one per rocker? Last but not least two in each well, one per rocker and one front and rear. Please help me figure out the best set up. This thing is long. This is my test subject with one per well and one on the rocker. Thanks
Did you decide on where they’re gonna go?

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I’ve been happy with them. Pretty bright. Had to make more mounting brackets for my install. Wish they supplied more than two of the right angle brackets. The Switch Pro dimming function does work with them. Just checked. :)
Good to hear, thank you

Reactions: Matoolie