Road shower

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bowman
I’ve seen loads of them around and people like them as far as I can tell. I didn’t have the funds, so built my own out of pvc. I’m not sure if you can pressurize those, but gravity alone doesn’t seem to be enough in my opinion. Not sure if this was any help for ya

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have it and used it a couple of times. It's a little on the heavy side when filled of course so hopefully you have a good solid rack to hold it. My Yakima rail system on top of my camper shell is not as sturdy as I like so I do have to make sure that I tighten my rack down before I use the Road Shower. Other than that it works as designed. Nice pressurized water and in the Sun it warms it up nicely. I'm not too handy so I bought my setup.

Taco_Man

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Ivan
Last Name
Ivan
@ RoarinRow I just picked up the Road Shower 10G for my new build and I can't seem to get it to hold pressure past 50PSI. I hear the relief valve releasing pressure as soon as it hits 50PSI. Which is fine except I lose all pressure with over half the tank still full. Have you experienced this?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
@ RoarinRow I just picked up the Road Shower 10G for my new build and I can't seem to get it to hold pressure past 50PSI. I hear the relief valve releasing pressure as soon as it hits 50PSI. Which is fine except I lose all pressure with over half the tank still full. Have you experienced this?
Hi @lbrow no I haven't experienced that. I normally fill it and forget it and do quickly enough where I don't look at the pressure gauge once I reach near the target pressure. Maybe one of the values is not on tight enough?

Taco_Man

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Ivan
Last Name
Ivan
They are def. on tight enough it's actually coming from the pressure relief valve itself. It's brand new so I put a support ticket in with Yakima.
The cap with the pressure relief valve is only $27.00 so I can't imagine they'd have an issue replacing mine.
Thanks for your quick response though and happy trails!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
They are def. on tight enough it's actually coming from the pressure relief valve itself. It's brand new so I put a support ticket in with Yakima.
The cap with the pressure relief valve is only $27.00 so I can't imagine they'd have an issue replacing mine.
Welcome and good luck getting it fixed!

ian.anderson

Rank III

Contributor III

Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Anderson
Hey did you end up getting your relief valve resolved? If so I'm curious to learn about your experience of the Road Shower. How long does it have to bake in the sun to get the water to a comfortable temp? I've heard that the water only really gets luke warm even after sitting in the sun for a while. I don't know how I feel about dropping 500 bones on a 1 season shower.

Taco_Man

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Ivan
Last Name
Ivan
So Yakima was very responsive but the part was back ordered due to supply chain issues so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. It took over 2 months to get the replacement so that wasn’t optimal.

I have only used it a couple of times so far and it’s served it’s purpose well.
It’s very convenient but don’t expect to be taking hot showers. TBH that wasn’t the main reason I originally got it.
I know it’s not technically for potable water but I’ve had no issues using it for cleaning and cooking.
Full disclosure I sold my 10G and downsized to a 7G.
The 10G was just more than I needed and I wanted extra room on my rack.
Even with less volume the water is warm but not hot in the cooler months even in direct sunlight.
I haven’t used it in summer yet so I can’t speak to that.
It’s a lot better then ice cold water for sure though.
I value a good bush shower as much as the next man and this definitely an upgrade over a jug of water.

That being said full retail is a bit steep I got my original one at the REI garage sale for a great price.
The 7G I purchased with the REI 20% off so that took a bit of the sting out of it.

Bottom line I recommend it especially you venture to places where water is scarce. It got me out of a tight spot last fall, was glad I had it.

Last edited: