Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
To The Del Norte and Pagosa Springs members. My family and a few friends are planning a trip out to this area this summer. We plan to start out on forest roads at Horca, CO and run up the Cornejos. What are some good things to see in this area?

Attachments

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
That’s the back side of Wolf Creek pass, Elmos Cabin area.

what time of year are you planning to come out? Right now Wolf Creek Ski area has had 238” of snow far this ski year, Mobile Landing Page - Wolf Creek Ski Area - Colorado. So it could be late June for that area to open up if snow fall continues.
Wolf Creek normally get about 425” of snow fall a year and we need a really good year.

Next what are you looking to do, hike, fish, drive trails, just sit and relax? Kids? Do you like trains, look at Chama.

If you’re looking for fish, I have heard that the area just south of Antonito, CO on the NMBDR has some great fishing.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm not sure if you're looking for attractions outside of your forest travels, but here goes.

My wife loves to visit the Pagosa Hot Springs. We have both enjoyed the Cumbres & Toltec steam train ride. I've traveled through forest to the west there somewhat, but don't remember much detail.

If you make it to Alamosa and you're into breweries, check out the Colorado Farm Brewery. They have hosted a small overlanding event there in the past. It's interesting because all their ingredients are grown and produced right there on the farm....they grow their own hops and malt their own barley [EDIT] and even use their own well water. They may still allow you to spend the night there if you so chose.

I don't know how far you're willing to branch out but you're probably aware of the Great Sand Dunes NP and Medano Pass to the northeast.

@Mick Daniel @GetOutand4WD What can you guys add?

How did you happen to decide on this area? Would you be interested in inviting others or would you like to keep this private?

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thanks for this. Def something to look into next time up.

If you make it to Alamosa and you're into breweries, check out the Colorado Farm Brewery. They have hosted a small overlanding event there in the past. It's interesting because all their ingredients are grown and produced right there on the farm....they grow and roast their own hops (smells great) and even use their own well water. They may still allow you to spend the night there if you so chose.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks for this. Def something to look into next time up.
You are welcome. In hindsight I may have worded some of that beer process improperly, but it smells good there nonetheless. I think it's actually the barley malting....

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
@Neal A. Tew @NMBruce thanks for that. Not 100% sure on the exact dates but it will be summer. We picked that area because it’s not too far away from where we are in Kansas. We’ve explored up further north around Bonanza in the past, a friend has a cabin at bonanza that we stayed in.

I think we want to keep this one private, this is my wife’s second time out there to explore and we now have a son, he will be a little over one year old when we go out. In the future I’m definitely up to meeting up with anyone who wants to! I am into brewery’s to we will hit alomosa.

Do you guys know of any places to stay out there that isn’t a camp spot? I can probably get the wife talked into one night in the tent with a one year old, but I don’t think I’ll get much more out of her for this outing.

We are taking my ram out and will probably pull my TJ out too. Mostly trail riding and we have a couple hikes scouted also. Bear lake, rainbow hot springs and a waterfall or two. When I scout Gaia, I usually find points of interest first, then figure out a route.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
There are Hotels in Pagosa and in South Fork, you could also VRBO, but last year they will filled up early.

If you want to do more off roading, then go up by Lake City and do the Alpine Loop. If the wife likes taking pictures, then the top of Cinnamon Pass has a lot of wild flowers in the summer.

Reactions: MidwestVoyager