Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

We could always trade for a weekend- but I may find it very hard to give up your LR! :tearsofjoy: My GX is now 14 years old but only 100k on the clock, so she's got plenty of life. For my tastes I couldn't honestly be happier. Ok that's not true otherwise I would probably stop adding/changing/modding but it's an incredible foundation to build from.
I would definitely be up to trading for a weekend! Wow, that's still a young rig for a GX, those Prados last forever! I think it's one of the most capable rigs out there and folks always underestimate them because you don't see many built up. Though, I think there is a growing market for them as more aftermarket accessories are popping up for overlanding.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

As it's summer here in Oz, I thought I'd throw up some pics from the RRS' shake down run just north of Sydney, from over the Christmas break. Apart from the racks the rest of the car is pretty much standard apart from GOE rods and UHF.

It all performed faultlessly as I hoped it would. Next up will be new tyres and some lights to go on the rack.
Awesome photos - looks like you guys had a great Christmas break down under. I love seeing these RRSs on the trails.

Reactions: Jethro and AndyH

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
I would definitely be up to trading for a weekend! Wow, that's still a young rig for a GX, those Prados last forever! I think it's one of the most capable rigs out there and folks always underestimate them because you don't see many built up. Though, I think there is a growing market for them as more aftermarket accessories are popping up for overlanding.
It sure seems like more and more people are realizing what's possible for a GX and I have enjoyed seeing more manufacturers create offerings over the last few years. And some guys have really done some nice GX builds that keep me inspired! So many more upgrades to do, but man I love this thing.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

It sure seems like more and more people are realizing what's possible for a GX and I have enjoyed seeing more manufacturers create offerings over the last few years. And some guys have really done some nice GX builds that keep me inspired! So many more upgrades to do, but man I love this thing.
The other thing I like about the GX, like on my rover, is that these rigs are so darn comfortable on and off the road. Sure, they may not be crazy rock crawlers, but really that's any modern 4x4. I think off road capability is very important in an overland rig, but not everyone does the hardcore stuff, and most importantly, overlanding often involves a lot of on the road driving, so it's nice having something comfortable and plush at times. [emoji38]

Reactions: boehml

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
The other thing I like about the GX, like on my rover, is that these rigs are so darn comfortable on and off the road. Sure, they may not be crazy rock crawlers, but really that's any modern 4x4. I think off road capability is very important in an overland rig, but not everyone does the hardcore stuff, and most importantly, overlanding often involves a lot of on the road driving, so it's nice having something comfortable and plush at times. [emoji38]
Couldn't agree more! And when you have a wife and kids like mine to keep happy in the rig too it helps to have heated leather seats, room to stretch out, a place for all the "gear" that kids (and wife) require, and adjustable suspension settings that make those dirt roads more tolerable for non-enthusiasts. Won't see me on the rubicon, and I'm cool with that. :grinning:

Reactions: AndyMKE

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

What do you think of your TrailHawk? We are seriously thinking of replacing my wife's sedan with one.

Any feedback, observations, gripes, praise would be greatly appreciated.

Had this TigerHawk for almost a year now, end of February. Not much done except some lighting and some decals. She's been offroad once and was impressive. Plans are roof basket, ladder, rails, more lights, a custom made pop out awning.

Just enjoying the ride for now..

View attachment 13397

KYTigerHawk

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

What do you think of your TrailHawk? We are seriously thinking of replacing my wife's sedan with one.

Any feedback, observations, gripes, praise would be greatly appreciated.
I like it. She's been a good choice despite my dislike for the parking lights (they make it look Chinese)... anyway...we have the 2016 Mango Tango Trailhawk with towing package and moon/sun roof. Last one on the lot, couldn't be picky. We researched a little, not as much as we did when we bought the Cadillac SRX, but my husband has a Jeep Wrangler 4door and he's all about the Jeep. Ironically, he tried to get me into one of these or the Grand Cherokee when we ended up buying the Cadillac. I turned the Jeep down back then because of those Chinese lights - I thought they were the headlights. The Mango Tango (Orange) color grabbed me this time and I decided that I would be driving it so I wouldn't see the Chinese lights. She's peppy. We took it off road and it was impressive. If we had rails on it, which we are working on, and maybe better tires it would have probably been even better. It's NOT a family vehicle - there are 4 of us, but the teens drive so they rarely go with us anyway (we take Cadillac for family trips). It's quiet and rides like a dream...almost like you are on a cloud. Tank is not very big so it feels like you go through the gas. I drive to/from work; getting about 15mpg in town. I like the factory tires, they look good and grip good - many don't like them. There's not a lot of optional items for it YET, but it's getting there. As with any vehicle, there are lemons, we are lucky not to have a lemon.

Good luck in the car hunt...of course, I recommend the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Had this TigerHawk for almost a year now, end of February. Not much done except some lighting and some decals. She's been offroad once and was impressive. Plans are roof basket, ladder, rails, more lights, a custom made pop out awning.

Just enjoying the ride for now..

View attachment 13397
This thing is so epic! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Reactions: KYTigerHawk

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Um.. thank you. I can't seem to find any others on here. She's a work in progress.
I think there may be, wasn't it you that I replied to with some videos of my friend's Cherokee on the trails? Sorry, I may be mixed up! I have some cool videos of it on my Instagram.

KYTigerHawk

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

I think there may be, wasn't it you that I replied to with some videos of my friend's Cherokee on the trails? Sorry, I may be mixed up! I have some cool videos of it on my Instagram.

I don't recall any videos shared...but then again, I have seen a lot of videos so I may have seen them. I have not been active on this site for a while... really just getting started.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I don't recall any videos shared...but then again, I have seen a lot of videos so I may have seen them. I have not been active on this site for a while... really just getting started.
I thought so! :-) so there is another guy with a Cherokee Trailhawk. If you check out my Instagram (same handle as on here), you will see a few cool videos my dash cam took of a Cherokee in deep snow. Since that trip, I've been so impressed with them!!!

Reactions: Rick A.

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Engineers pass in the Rockies. Lake city to Silverton. Awesome overlanding trails and an awesome ride. Apart from bottoming out in a 1ft diameter mudhole at 12000ft haha. stil made for a fun adventure! 13592622_10157079870320322_3100739796841570275_n.jpg 13770323_10157206426620322_8310401146465817511_n.jpg

Attachments