ZeroAccess

Rank I

Contributor III

United States
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Roberts
TLDR: 40 yr old male who's selling everything and discovering who I am. Looking for someone who wouldn't mind me teaming with them (I'll have my own vehicle) and learning the ropes.

Howdy,
My name is Glen and I don't even know where to start but I have a feeling some of you may relate. I apologize in advance for how all over the place this may be it's my first time writing all this out.
Basically due to depression, anxiety, the world I became a hoarding hermit over the past six years and got up to 600 lbs. I decided to get healthy, sell the house, and junk I bought because I'm just not happy. I've wanted to travel since I was a small kid and I'm lucky to be in a situation where I can do so.

I purchased a 89 Bronco to overland in but I think I made a big mistake and focused on the off road capabilities instead of being realistic and thinking overlanding. I don't know how to off-road, camp, fish, hunt, garden, etc. it's easier to say I'm a 40 yr old baby learning how to be a human than explain what I need to learn lol.

My dumbass went and got a great Dane which he's cool so we're going to go together I hope! I work from home as an IT Nerd so I'll have to work a few hours a day but nothing crazy typically just meetings on the phone and then 1-2 hours of pulling over to do real work or do it at night.

I'm hoping someone can take me under their wing and help me purchase or if the bronco will work modify it so I can get out and see the world.

I'm currently in Atlanta to pick up my race car but it broke down so I'm stuck for a minute. Once it's fixed I'll be heading back to Oklahoma (OKC) to live with a friend for a month. (I've been staying there for a month) then in March there's an off-road event 14-16 in Utah I really want to go to then I head towards Nevada to stay with family for however long I want. This is when I hope to start or hell let's go today there's nothing stopping me well except I need a few things I guess.

My goal or dream is to find someone who can go with me for maybe a month and I'll go wherever they want but would love to see anything I like mountains, waterfalls, etc.

I've had gastric sleeve surgery and have lost 213 lbs but I'm still 380+ so I still have a ways to go before I can hike the mountains but if anyone knows anyone that would like some company we can talk and see if it's ok to meetup. I also am interested in learning more about off roading so if anyone knows good classes or if someone here wants to teach me I can pay or buy the beers.

I dunno I just need a friend and some help but I'm willing to pay (I'll buy food or something I dunno. I'm not rich but I'm not wanting to free load or cause stress for someone else ... or offer any assistance I can.

I'm leaning towards keeping my Focus ST(heavily modified) and the 89 Bronco (a piece but it's in the shop should be out this week) and sell my 17 F150 (want to talk to someone about this) and get a e250/350 (anything) that's already kitted out since I have no idea wtf I'm doing. If someone knew what they were doing and wanted to build something I'd be interested but again we can talk.

If you're interested please message me and I'll call or we can text on the forums. I'm going to be reading as much as I can I don't expect anyone to do anything for me I just need to pick brains and want to learn enough that I don't make too costly of a mistake or hurt myself. I also used to be a diesel mechanic (think semi trucks but I was like jiffy lube tech) so I know a lot but not rebuilding engines and trannies and stuff but I can offer help too! Oh and I used to be able to weld pretty good but it's been a while.

Basically I'm a scared peacock and I would love to have someone who I can throw in front of the bear as I hobble my ass away :)

Attachments

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
hi Glen , like i said welcome , as for your choice of vehicule there not really a bad choice , its wen you use it (offroad or overland) that you will find what you want/like ) like do you want to go to more remote places so a better 4x4 is good but usealy less space for stuff etc or a big confert rig but can mostly go on easy stuff. all come with time to see what you want to do more.

as for the dog wow its a tuff one since they need space and release energy , will be kinda tuff for him on long rides , but still can be done .

as for you to have no experience off-roading we all started to learn at some point , maybe try to find a 4x4 club near you and see if they do newbie run to teach new wheelers ( some clubs where i live do that).

as for you work you say you work from home if you want you can always get the Starlink | Roam starlink satelite internet and work from anywhere you are thats an option for you !

nice to see you wanted/started to get more healthier good for you , just take it slow and steady (hiking etc ) go at your own pace.

as for going out with people maybe you could find members on here that live near you or you can look at maybe peeps that do events (group) , or you can even find on forum or site orgenised event that go on mini expeditions that could be an option also .

so good luck with your new adventures , just dont rush take it slow and discover what you want and like to do . and mostly enjoy ...

Reactions: ZeroAccess

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
@ZeroAccess
Welcome, good to see someone making positive changes, congratulations and good luck! I'm new here too, just wanted to offer a welcome and encouragement!
I started watching a lot of YouTube videos to learn some things, many are way too "rock crawling" for my interests, but I look for ones that have some footage on the camping part, not just driving a cool rig around. If you haven't seen him, I think you might like "Softroading the West", some nice moderate driving around, finding cool campsites. He has a lot of videos on DIY prepping of a car or truck for not much $$, simple tweaks and getting out there. Also how he finds places to camp, and his camping setup. Good place to start.

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
yea there is alot of offroaders on you tube like Dave said here a few more = Epic Family Road Trip , venture4wd , = just to name a few that are more overland then 4x4 trails

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
finding places to go offroad or "overland" is not hard, esspecially out west (AZ, NM, NV, ID,UT, etc.) there are wildlife management areas tbat are very easy to get to, usually have ddcently kept roads anf you can stay for up to 14 days at a time. They often have some easy trails, wildlife and great views. there are a lot of trails and campsites here on this app. I use this app to find campsites others have posted, trails and use them to find other sites neaby.

When you gi west there is BLM land whoch is free to stay on, most of the Forrest roads are decently maintained and easy to get through. As you go more and more and get comfortable youll start trying more things.

As for vehilcle builds its hard because everyone is different. What works for me may not work for others, the same the other way. I would recommend getting out there for a few days at a time and just be out in nature and find out what you want. An F150 and a bronco are both great vehicles that you can build to suit your needs and go out with. pick up a cooler load it with food and wanter, pack in some ice go somewhere for a weekend (I would recommend a chair too). for a bit use a tent and sleeping bag, add in a cot if you dont want to be on the ground. there is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as you arent tresspassing on private property.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
TLDR: 40 yr old male who's selling everything and discovering who I am. Looking for someone who wouldn't mind me teaming with them (I'll have my own vehicle) and learning the ropes.

Howdy,
My name is Glen and I don't even know where to start but I have a feeling some of you may relate. I apologize in advance for how all over the place this may be it's my first time writing all this out.
Basically due to depression, anxiety, the world I became a hoarding hermit over the past six years and got up to 600 lbs. I decided to get healthy, sell the house, and junk I bought because I'm just not happy. I've wanted to travel since I was a small kid and I'm lucky to be in a situation where I can do so.

I purchased a 89 Bronco to overland in but I think I made a big mistake and focused on the off road capabilities instead of being realistic and thinking overlanding. I don't know how to off-road, camp, fish, hunt, garden, etc. it's easier to say I'm a 40 yr old baby learning how to be a human than explain what I need to learn lol.

My dumbass went and got a great Dane which he's cool so we're going to go together I hope! I work from home as an IT Nerd so I'll have to work a few hours a day but nothing crazy typically just meetings on the phone and then 1-2 hours of pulling over to do real work or do it at night.

I'm hoping someone can take me under their wing and help me purchase or if the bronco will work modify it so I can get out and see the world.

I'm currently in Atlanta to pick up my race car but it broke down so I'm stuck for a minute. Once it's fixed I'll be heading back to Oklahoma (OKC) to live with a friend for a month. (I've been staying there for a month) then in March there's an off-road event 14-16 in Utah I really want to go to then I head towards Nevada to stay with family for however long I want. This is when I hope to start or hell let's go today there's nothing stopping me well except I need a few things I guess.

My goal or dream is to find someone who can go with me for maybe a month and I'll go wherever they want but would love to see anything I like mountains, waterfalls, etc.

I've had gastric sleeve surgery and have lost 213 lbs but I'm still 380+ so I still have a ways to go before I can hike the mountains but if anyone knows anyone that would like some company we can talk and see if it's ok to meetup. I also am interested in learning more about off roading so if anyone knows good classes or if someone here wants to teach me I can pay or buy the beers.

I dunno I just need a friend and some help but I'm willing to pay (I'll buy food or something I dunno. I'm not rich but I'm not wanting to free load or cause stress for someone else ... or offer any assistance I can.

I'm leaning towards keeping my Focus ST(heavily modified) and the 89 Bronco (a piece but it's in the shop should be out this week) and sell my 17 F150 (want to talk to someone about this) and get a e250/350 (anything) that's already kitted out since I have no idea wtf I'm doing. If someone knew what they were doing and wanted to build something I'd be interested but again we can talk.

If you're interested please message me and I'll call or we can text on the forums. I'm going to be reading as much as I can I don't expect anyone to do anything for me I just need to pick brains and want to learn enough that I don't make too costly of a mistake or hurt myself. I also used to be a diesel mechanic (think semi trucks but I was like jiffy lube tech) so I know a lot but not rebuilding engines and trannies and stuff but I can offer help too! Oh and I used to be able to weld pretty good but it's been a while.

Basically I'm a scared peacock and I would love to have someone who I can throw in front of the bear as I hobble my ass away :)
Hello Glen, welcome to Overland Bound. I’ll be praying for you to find peace and happiness and a friend. Blessings.

John 14:26–27 (NASB95): 27 “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

ZeroAccess

Rank I

Contributor III

United States
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Roberts
Thank you all. It was so difficult to write an intro without missing so many details! I really appreciate the advice! In the past I would go out and buy EVERYTHING for a hobby and then get beginner results and quit so the idea of just going out is foreign to me hell this whole thing is. I was worried about gas mileage and reliability on the bronco but after really stopping and learning about overlanding and what I think the spirit of overlanding will be for me. I'm feeling a lot better about things.
I'm hoping to pick up my Bronco from the shop this week and do a small camping trip either this weekend or next. I may even just camp out in the driveway.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Thank you all. It was so difficult to write an intro without missing so many details! I really appreciate the advice! In the past I would go out and buy EVERYTHING for a hobby and then get beginner results and quit so the idea of just going out is foreign to me hell this whole thing is. I was worried about gas mileage and reliability on the bronco but after really stopping and learning about overlanding and what I think the spirit of overlanding will be for me. I'm feeling a lot better about things.
I'm hoping to pick up my Bronco from the shop this week and do a small camping trip either this weekend or next. I may even just camp out in the driveway.
Thats an excellent start. The point of overlanding is being out in natur, enjoying what is out there, and leaving it better than you found it.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Howdy,

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Welcome Glen. Sounds like you've got the right attitude to get out there and just do it. Many folks have already suggested some great ideas. Taking baby steps is key. I even just go to a local campground to try new gear and stuff. It's close, easy, and if something doesn't quite work out, I'm not far from home or a store. And some of these places can be pretty nice and worth exploring.

I love your dog. I had a Dane mix that looked exactly like him. I'm getting teary just thinking about him that how much I loved him. The great thing with Danes is they are super mellow and love to just hang out. Mine was not very active and thought he was a lap dog. lol

ZeroAccess

Rank I

Contributor III

United States
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Roberts
Welcome Glen. Sounds like you've got the right attitude to get out there and just do it. Many folks have already suggested some great ideas. Taking baby steps is key. I even just go to a local campground to try new gear and stuff. It's close, easy, and if something doesn't quite work out, I'm not far from home or a store. And some of these places can be pretty nice and worth exploring.

I love your dog. I had a Dane mix that looked exactly like him. I'm getting teary just thinking about him that how much I loved him. The great thing with Danes is they are super mellow and love to just hang out. Mine was not very active and thought he was a lap dog. lol
Yea I love the dude, I rescued him about 3 months ago from a pretty rough situation. He's extremely skittish as he was beaten a lot but he's just now starting to relax and hopefully he gets to enjoy this journey as much as me!

I'm hoping he'll settle down into a lap dog and I can cuddle and squeezem and lovem and hugem (tiny toons Elmira) but anyways I'm sure they'll be some hilarious issues with both of us being in the Bronco.

Reactions: Speric

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome Glen! All of overlanding is all a compromise, Broncos are to small for me, you'll be able to to take it places my truck will not go. I can camp with a comfort level you can't just because I carry more, as a example. Start out slow and make sure overlanding is right for you. Look at resale sites for your gear, there is a bunch being sold as folks discovered overlanding isn't for them. Be aware many people get out a couple times per year, while some are full time, while others go most months. Go to a rally or meetups in your area, Overlanding can be whatever you want, go have fun.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Glen and welcome to the OB family. You've made a good first step by joining this group. It's full of great people who have lots of experience. Just remember, EVERYONE starting out knowing nothing at sometime.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Howdy,

Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
North America
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out the four Overland Expo events https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com