Repurpose stuff.

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

We were heading out camping and found we needed a few things. One was an ice chest. Not wanting to turn back, Julie came up with the idea of hitting the Oak Harbor Wall Mart.

Long story short, we found a Rubbermaid ice chest on special for around six dollars. I figured it would be fine for the two days we were to be out and grabbed it. Of course it totally sucked as an ice chest, I expected no different. But, what we found that it is excellent for, is a storage tote. Spices, bread, flour, sugar, onions.. Six dollar tote that should be able to keep everything dry in the wet.

Don't know how long they'll have them, but they're cheap and might solve a problem for you.

-jim lee

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

when we go out in the warmer months I like to get dry ice for our cooler, layer the cooler... dry ice on the bottom, ice on top the dry ice(note the regular ice will freeze solid) place your food stuff then more ice on top

Reactions: jim lee

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

You know, I never think about using dry ice. I know its a lot colder than water-ice. Does it store more heat though?

What I'd like to know is; what people like to use as water proof containers for food that lives in ice chests? Something you can trust not to leak.

The camping trip before buying the new ice chest / tote. The styrofoam ice chest is actually split down the side in this picture.

-jim lee

Reactions: KC2BUN

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

well that's something ive been playing with for years, the expensive ziplock bags have worked well, Tupperware is nice but bluky
You know, I never think about using dry ice. I know its a lot colder than water-ice. Does it store more heat though?

What I'd like to know is; what people like to use as water proof containers for food that lives in ice chests? Something you can trust not to leak.

The camping trip before buying the new ice chest / tote. The styrofoam ice chest is actually split down the side in this picture.

-jim lee

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Sally & I are getting ready for a 4 day camping\fishing trip. We use frozen milk jugs & ice in our K2 cooler. We use one side for drinks we use ice only were the other side for food products we couldn't fit into our Engel fridg we have frozen jugs of water. Works real well for us, we just crack open the drain plug barely & let the melted ice water slowly drain. As we empty the Engel we transfer food products from the K2 cooler over to the fridg.001.JPG 003.JPG

Reactions: jim lee

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

Jim
The dry ice is so much colder then standard and sea ice, i had an old school coleman ice chest with standard ice frozen solid for 4 days in 90°weather a few years ago