o3_TRD

Rank 0

Contributor I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Fultz
I recently got this solar panel and mounted on the roof of my cap. All the wiring hookups are good, the controller has the green light on, but it won’t charge my battery. We’ve had straight sun the last few days and I can’t even say the battery is at 25%. I’ve got a 750w inverter hooked up to the battery and that tells me low battery and all of that. Anyone have an idea why it’s not charging it? It’s a deep cycle 12v, only a year old. Is the battery bad, controller bad, faulty inverter?
I TRIED camping last night, again tried lol.

-@o3_TRD
IMG_4117.JPG

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I recently got this solar panel and mounted on the roof of my cap. All the wiring hookups are good, the controller has the green light on, but it won’t charge my battery. We’ve had straight sun the last few days and I can’t even say the battery is at 25%. I’ve got a 750w inverter hooked up to the battery and that tells me low battery and all of that. Anyone have an idea why it’s not charging it? It’s a deep cycle 12v, only a year old. Is the battery bad, controller bad, faulty inverter?
I TRIED camping last night, again tried lol.

-@o3_TRD
View attachment 141372
It's not designed to charge a battery, especially an AGM battery, and especially from 25%. It's only going to trickle charge the battery. You should charge the battery up to 100% first. For example, my Zamp 100W panel is there to keep my battery full when parked and I have my fridge or lights running for extended time.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Was the battery completely depleted? Is the inverter alerting you to low battery?

Though deep cycles can be discharged and re-charged more than a starting battery, they are not designed to go completely dead and then be recharged. Solar panels are not going to bring them back from the dead.

Deep cycles should not be discharged down below 50%, really. You should not leave it all winter, for example, without charging periodically or leaving it on a trickle charge. I use the Noco Genius mini 2 for my twin deep cycles on my trailer.

If you don't want to go the route of an installed battery minder like the Noco, put your batt on a good 110 smart charger that optimizes the charge. Then when it is 100% do a load test to determine if the battery is good or not. You can take it to an auto parts store to do a load test or get an inexpensive tester online.

I use my Zamp controller to let me know when my battery is approaching 50%, so I can lighten the load and let 'em charge back up with my panels.