San Marcos, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Sevilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KTR
Hey there community. I am a recently new member and new to overlanding. I was able to pick up a 2007 4Runner that had the 3/2 level lift in it to accommodate the 33”s. I have put in falken Wildpeaks and trimmed where needed. But next step is an old man emu set up to have better off-road performance. My question is has anyone had a body lift removed? And if so, ho much do you pay? I want to save as much as possible to put towards the new bumper and wheels etc. thanks in advance.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
how high is the body lifted? I did my own body lift many years ago on a Jeep TJ and it took about 5 hours. A reputable shop charges 100 an hour and yours is much more difficult to work on than a Jeep. Plus the cost of parts. If it’s onlylifted an inch or two, I’d leave it alone.

Reactions: Dilldog and Rath

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I'd suggest finding a manual online for the kit, and just do it in reverse yourself. will save you a lot of money. Body lifts aren't hard, just time-consuming.

if you insist on a shop doing it, probably anywhere from 500-700 minimum. depending on what they run into with stubborn bolts, hunting down all the parts that need to be switched out, etc.

Travkat

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Marcos, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Sevilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KTR
Thanks, yeah I’ve debated trying to deal with it myself but my garage situation is limited. I was hoping maybe I’d end up with a bit of a SEL if I have the same folks put in the OME kit to get back the same lift via suspension. Thank you again for the reply. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out when it’s done for sure. Gotta Save up those pennies.

Travkat

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Marcos, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Sevilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KTR
how high is the body lifted? I did my own body lift many years ago on a Jeep TJ and it took about 5 hours. A reputable shop charges 100 an hour and yours is much more difficult to work on than a Jeep. Plus the cost of parts. If it’s onlylifted an inch or two, I’d leave it alone.
It’s got the 3/2 level lift on it so it’ll fit the the 33”s and fix the stock stance. My worry is if I lift any more then I’m in to new control arms etc and the suspension gets out of control quickly.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

body lift has absolutely no effect on suspension. so if you are worried about doing a suspension lift, and having to change control arms, removing the body lift wont change anything in that regard.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Body lifts are cheap, they are labour intensive. Original body mounts from the factory with no lift are excessively pricey, compared to the parts for a body lift. I'm being honest, if you don't want the lift and don't want the job of removing it in a driveway. Sell the vehicle and buy the one you want.

If you want the same lift.... suspension instead of body.... consider the body lift creates no stress on a stock suspension... since the suspension is stock. A suspension lift changes all the stock manufacturers engineering and dramatically changes stresses on all those factory engineered parts.

yada yada, tons of fan boys will attest to me being off my rocker but common sence and science PLUS the list of MUST have parts to carry and tools to FIX broken components on the trail from the fan boys says YES, suspension lifts ADD stress to every stock component and means you need to be prepared to fix broken components no one driving a stock vehicle will need.

Voice of experience. 45 years of wheeling and building a dozen 4x4s. I'm now back to a stock TJ Rubicon after having 35s and a 4" lift plus an AEV highline. Now box stock except for the highline body kit. And loving the reliability.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Body lifts are cheap, they are labour intensive. Original body mounts from the factory with no lift are excessively pricey, compared to the parts for a body lift. I'm being honest, if you don't want the lift and don't want the job of removing it in a driveway. Sell the vehicle and buy the one you want.

If you want the same lift.... suspension instead of body.... consider the body lift creates no stress on a stock suspension... since the suspension is stock. A suspension lift changes all the stock manufacturers engineering and dramatically changes stresses on all those factory engineered parts.

yada yada, tons of fan boys will attest to me being off my rocker but common sence and science PLUS the list of MUST have parts to carry and tools to FIX broken components on the trail from the fan boys says YES, suspension lifts ADD stress to every stock component and means you need to be prepared to fix broken components no one driving a stock vehicle will need.

Voice of experience. 45 years of wheeling and building a dozen 4x4s. I'm now back to a stock TJ Rubicon after having 35s and a 4" lift plus an AEV highline. Now box stock except for the highline body kit. And loving the reliability.
Truth! I’ve been doing this about the same number of years. Thankfully when I was a young man I didn’t have the expendable income for anything except stock suspensions or I would have wasted a lot of money on the suspension learning curve. However, I do have an OME heavy kit beneath my 80 series. That’s it though, no other modifications, other than caster correction bushings are necessary for this suspension upgrade. At 280,000 I replaced all my original suspension bushings so we’re good for another 200,000 miles. My rule of thumb is no suspension lifts, only suspension upgrades. If it’s marketed as a “lift kit” run away with your hair on fire. Let the rock krawler crowd have at it. Overlanders don’t need nor want that crap.