Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My guess is CYA for the state in the event of a forest fire. Nobody can argue in court that the state didn't make an effort to "train" for safety. I think it's dumb, too...
Given everything else that state has done since I left, my guess is more sinister. Along the line of, they’re counting on you not knowing you need it, then fining you heavily when you don’t.

Reactions: notjvb

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Then what’s the point.
There are a lot of bozos who don't know how to safely put out a campfire, and each year unattended campfires start major forest fires. I'm happy to spend 3.5 minutes once a year getting a free permit (I just did it) if means someone else might have gotten educated and I don't have to end up putting out the smoking fire they left behind.

Reactions: Brewbud and Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Given everything else that state has done since I left, my guess is more sinister. Along the line of, they’re counting on you not knowing you need it, then fining you heavily when you don’t.
That wasn't my experience. When I first got stationed out there I didn't know I needed one (even for propane grilles and whatnot) a Forrest Ranger was driving around checking yellow post sites and stopped at mine introduced himself asked if I had a permit for the grille I was using. I looked at him like he was crazy (I had Texas tags as well) and he pulled a permit out of his truck explained it to me had me read it and sign it, chatted with me a bit about yellow posts sites and the specific ntl forrest I was in then bid me a good day and drove back down the mountain. That was one of the only times I ever saw a Forrest Ranger out there.

Reactions: Brewbud and Ubiety

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

This is a reminder I still need to put one in my Jeep. I have one in the truck but....