El Conejo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio
First Name
DREW
Last Name
COFFMAN
Finally paid off the wife's student loans which means I have a slush fund.

Looking to clean up the accessory wiring that I have run and run some additional accessories (hood pods, bed outlet, accessory rack lighting). I recently used an Auxbeam 6 gang on a work truck to wire up some headache rack lights, transfer pump and few other accessories; and was impressed at how simple it was to install and the features it included. BUT I hate the way the control panel looks in the truck.

For my personal truck (Ram Rebel) AEV makes a 6 gang rock switch that looks pretty close to factory. Looking at the Auxbeam, I don't see an easy way to use the main unit and replace the controller with 6 rocker switches but I admit low voltage is not my forte. Is there a write up on this or is it even possible? Is there another product that would better suit my needs?

The Auxbeam has pretty much every feature I would want, main fuse (resettable) for the system, individual circuits with fuses, ignition keyed relay (My wife is notorious for leaving accessories on and killing the battery).

Appreciate the insight.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Most of the switch systems (S-Pod, Switch Pros, etc) are using a single control cable from the control panel to the relay box mounted under the hood with some type of processor working the magic to allow programmability of switch functions etc. The switch pros systems that I use are fully electronic and do not use relays so there is no opportunity to replace the control head with conventional switches.

In my opinion the benefits of the switch systems far outweigh any aesthetics of the control panel. Usually the biggest complaint is the cost factor, however if you add up the cost of individual switches, relays, way more wire etc, the cost differential is really not that bad especially when adding in reliability, safety and the number of hours saved wiring. I also did not expect to use the included bluetooth function as much as I do. being able to turn lights on and off when approaching the vehicle at night, or from inside the roof top tent is a nice feature. I like the small size of the control pad with the Switch Pro system, on the JK I have it mounted vertically in a replacement A pillar trim piece and in my Ram I mounted it to the headliner just under the sunroof opening.
20240102_094407.jpg20240102_094301.jpg

S-Pod does make a unit with conventional rocker switches for a control unit that looks more 'conventional' then a flat screen panel and it still retains the single cable to the underhood control box that may be an option depending on where you intend to mount the switches SourceLT Modular - Universal - 4x4 sPod

Overland Bound has a couple of youtube videos on creating a homemade relay system with overload protection for his rig that has proven to work well and easy to troubleshoot on the trail.

Would not be too difficult to create two sections of relays, one that is live all the time, and one that shuts off with the key.

El Conejo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio
First Name
DREW
Last Name
COFFMAN
Most of the switch systems (S-Pod, Switch Pros, etc) are using a single control cable from the control panel to the relay box mounted under the hood with some type of processor working the magic to allow programmability of switch functions etc. The switch pros systems that I use are fully electronic and do not use relays so there is no opportunity to replace the control head with conventional switches.

In my opinion the benefits of the switch systems far outweigh any aesthetics of the control panel. Usually the biggest complaint is the cost factor, however if you add up the cost of individual switches, relays, way more wire etc, the cost differential is really not that bad especially when adding in reliability, safety and the number of hours saved wiring. I also did not expect to use the included bluetooth function as much as I do. being able to turn lights on and off when approaching the vehicle at night, or from inside the roof top tent is a nice feature. I like the small size of the control pad with the Switch Pro system, on the JK I have it mounted vertically in a replacement A pillar trim piece and in my Ram I mounted it to the headliner just under the sunroof opening.
View attachment 271165View attachment 271166

S-Pod does make a unit with conventional rocker switches for a control unit that looks more 'conventional' then a flat screen panel and it still retains the single cable to the underhood control box that may be an option depending on where you intend to mount the switches SourceLT Modular - Universal - 4x4 sPod

Overland Bound has a couple of youtube videos on creating a homemade relay system with overload protection for his rig that has proven to work well and easy to troubleshoot on the trail.

Would not be too difficult to create two sections of relays, one that is live all the time, and one that shuts off with the key.
Appreciate the insight. Looking at the linked S-pod controller is makes me wonder if I can adapt AEV Switch Pod for 2013-2018 Ram Trucks - Black to accept the s-pod rocker control panel.

I really prefer the look of the rocker switches over the the other panels. It just seems very early '00 aisle 19 to me personally.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Does your Rebel already have to factory up fitter switches? If not get one of the stock switch panels and wire it in if your are wanting to keep things factory looking.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I have taken a under hood fuse/relay box from a 1999 tahoe and rewired it to run the relays off the fuses and out. It has a main lug for power input and then used weatherpack connectors for the relay trigger wires and another for relay output. Works pretty good. I've also used blue sea fuse boxes and snap together relay bases to build my own with the power feed on a circuit breaker. Then use any switch in any location you want. You can get the blue sea fuse boxes with ground options and multiple power input options so you can have 1 power input keyed and one hot all the time.

El Conejo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio
First Name
DREW
Last Name
COFFMAN
Does your Rebel already have to factory up fitter switches? If not get one of the stock switch panels and wire it in if your are wanting to keep things factory looking.
I looked into that but because of the options that are on the truck (heated seat/steering wheel, air suspension, park sensors) none of the factory aux button panels will work. They are also small buttons that are difficult to hit without looking. Dodge made it much easier for the 5th gen trucks with a dedicated up fitter switch panel.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Gotcha, I'm not too familiar with the interior of the 1500's (probably not much different then 2500/3500) but yes if you have more options it takes up switch space. Like you say the ones with the dedicated aux switch panel are nice, some of the older Ford SD's were like that and they're great for adding accessories. I do like the looks of the AEV panel you posted but for me it would take away where I have my phone/tablet holder mounted.