• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So 2700 rpm won’t hurt my engine?
No, it won't hurt your engine but it will hurt your gas milage on the highway. For gearing you have to look at the end game for your rig. Do you want to Rawk Krawl, or do you want to travel. 2700 rpm is nearing, but not quite rawk krawl gearing for rigs. Get's you to the trail head while sucking down a bunch of gas. But then, on the rocks, you got the spin to get over silly obstacles. While if you gear to about 22-2400 rpm at 60 or so, you have more gas to travel and just stay of the stupid big stuff. Everything is a compromise. Like I said, my pat at 100km/h is doing 2200 in 6th. dropping to 5th on hills it goes to 27-2900 for extra spin at the expense of gas milage. Once over the hill, the jeep sometimes fails to shift back into 6th because of the tire ratio is not quite correct with the computer. So a slap on the autostick, drops back to 6th and we are good until it has another brain fart because of tire size. But I would not want any higher gearing in it. (if I could).

My 2011 JKU with 33s has 3.73s. It was good. That one could have gone to 4.10s and my 2015 JKU with 33's had 3.21's in it...it could have gone to 3.73s.

Reactions: MazeVX

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
So 2700 rpm won’t hurt my engine?
Nope. My F350 went thousands of towing miles with the overdrive locked out and the 6.2l spinning well over 2500rpm. Any kind of hills, and I was keeping the rpm over 3000. People liked to bash the 6.2, but that's because they were letting the trans up shift too often. Over 3000 rpm and it was a beast.

If you're loaded, it might actually be good for the engine. Lugging low rpms is hard on an engine, and drastically increases EGT's. Excessive shifting is a pain as well.

Is your rear axle a Dana 35? I'd replace it, not regear it. I'd regear a 44.