Regarding Schaefer Trail near Moab?

• HTML tutorial

Mannygrover

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

How techical is the Schaefer Trail near Moab, (Difficulty Rating?) is it for a 2018 4Runner (TRD Off-Road)?

Also, same inquire regarding the White Rim Trail?

We are in Moab, and want nothing more difficult than moderate difficulty,

with a premium on keeping the machine in one piece.

Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
You will have no issues whatsoever . Airing down your tires will make the ride much more comfy and provide NEEDED traction.

As long as its not raining as the roads get "icy" slippery when wet, and the switch backs don't bother you ......... you are good to go.

The White Rim Trail has a few technical spots, you might ask the local rangers as to its trail condition. Have a full tank of gas!

You will not regret driving those routes, absolutely stunning views! :smile:

In dry weather, it won't even begin to challenge the capability of your truck if you have any 4X4 experience. Slow and easy is the name of the game IMHO.

Last edited:

Mannygrover

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hi there Brewster ll,

Thanks for your most helpful reply. It is dry as a bone (almost) here in Moab at this time, with blue skies to boot, ergo,

we will then be on it like a cheap suit in the rain. Very helpful to have your input.

Interestingly, we were sniffing around the South Section of San Rafael Swell two days ago, and found some areas

with muddy roads in a way that one was glad to see the "other side'....though I suspect that the vehicle had more

reserve than I may have given it credit for.

Excellent.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
My wife and I ran Shafer and White Rim last spring with a 2011 T4R Trail. As mentioned above, air down as soon as you get off the pavement. We went down to 22 psi and had no issues at all. The only times I switched into 4WD were when going down Shafer to White Rim (4L for better control and saving the brakes) and on some of the steeper climbs ( 4L again for Murphy and Hardscrabble) when I got more wheel spin than I wanted because we were loaded pretty heavy. It was dry that week except on the west side near the river, so we stayed in 2H for a majority of the time, but YMMV if it as rained recently. A stock 4R is more than capable of handling both roads regardless.

Attachments

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

It's a bit nervewracking in one or two places, but completely non-technical if it is dry. (My understanding is that some sections are horrible if muddy).

Reactions: Mannygrover

AllenK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

You won't have any problems keeping the machine together. It's far more capable than anything Shafer could throw at you. I did Shafer in my 82 Benz wagon on regular street tires and it being slightly lifted. A bud attempted it with his slightly lifted VW wagon but didn't fare to well for reasons I won't disclose because it's embarrasing. Patience and good lines and you can do that trail in anything, it's definitely moderate. Took us maybe 2 1/2 hours? I don't quite remember, was too busy trying not to high center my little billy goat of a wagon.

I'll withhold the more scenic pics, but these are proof that wagon did it!!

Attachments

Reactions: Mannygrover

AllenK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

Looks like plenty to do! The green Rimrocker trail coming into Moab is 160 miles long. If someone was coming from the East it might be a nice path to take to the trail Mecca.
Would anyone know if the Rimrocker is passable this time of year? As in, in the next week.. lol

Seems like the last updates on it have just been the roads being completely snow packed

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

How techical is the Schaefer Trail near Moab, (Difficulty Rating?) is it for a 2018 4Runner (TRD Off-Road)?

Also, same inquire regarding the White Rim Trail?

We are in Moab, and want nothing more difficult than moderate difficulty,

with a premium on keeping the machine in one piece.

Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks.
My wife and I drove the Schaefer Trail a couple years ago. It's one of the most beautiful "dirt roads" you'll drive. It'll be a piece of cake for your 4Runner. Have fun and take a lot of pictures!

IMG_7951.JPGIMG_7971.JPG

Tatankaroo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
Jessie
Last Name
Shanks
Member #

Is White Rim trail possible in my stock 20 Forester? What other trails would you recommend? I have to travel to CO for a class and can't pass up the chance to drive through the Canyonlands.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I know nothing about the Forester, but I am guessing it lacks a true transfer case with low range. If that is a correct guess then it is probably not a wise choice for the Schafer trail (I think that is your most likely access down to the White Rim Trail). The issue will be overheating your brakes on the way down and your engine on the way up.

That is not to say you couldn't work around this. If you simply made up your mind in advance that you are going to stop every half mile and take a 20 minute break for picture taking you would probably be fine. But that means you would need to allocate and extra hour or two for the descent/ascent. Not that it would be a horrible thing to have the extra time for savoring the views. It is an awesome vista.

The White Rim Trail itself is pretty flat. I doubt you would have issues there. Here and there you will have a short climb over a ridge. Some of those are rocky, but I don't think they require much in the traction department, and they aren't long grades.

AllenK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wauconda, IL, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Kroliczek
Member #

Is White Rim trail possible in my stock 20 Forester? What other trails would you recommend? I have to travel to CO for a class and can't pass up the chance to drive through the Canyonlands.
I did it in a 36 year old, 2wd, underpowered, 4spd station wagon just fine a few years back. pay attention to your drive and you'll be fine... if it was wet I'm sure I'd have been pretty screwed though. so take weather into consideration

Attachments