Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
Could someone post some basic Recovery Gear that someone might need as a minimum. For example, Soft Shackles (how many 1 or two), Kinetic Rope... Also, not sure if it matters for Solo versus +[Number] of people. I don't have a winch.

Reactions: MGpoolguy82

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

It will matter what terrain as well as whether its a solo trip vs a group trip.

My LJ is my solo trip rig so I carry a backpack ( easy to grab and move around) with 2 snatch blocks, winch controller, tree strap, d-ring shackles, tire plug kits, tire deflaters and some rags. Kinetic ropes won't help if there is nobody to pull you. To be fair pretty much all of my trips are solo no matter the vehicle.....

My compass I try not to get into too much trouble, however this next weekend I am taking it into somewhat uncharted territory ( for me). I will be taking the tree straps, traction boards, hi-lift, and a tow strap.

Also I have a winch anchor thatbi bring with me in the LJ when I know I will be in areas with less trees ( not very often where I live but does happen from time to time).

I guess basics would be a tow strap, tow points, some sort of shackle, some way to move forward or backwards ( winch, traction boards, hi-lift, come-along...) and a full size spare or tire repair kit. Some others may also include a shovel and other things .... as people come to you can pick and choose what's right from you.
My kits are ot really basic and havnt been in many years lol. Most of the time I hope I never have to reach into it.

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

For a basic kit you really don't need much. A shovel, a tow strap (don't try to do a kinetic or snatch strap and a way to attach it to both your vehicle and whoever is towing you is all that you really need. Traction boards are great too, but are far from a necessity unless you are really wheeling. A tree strap is also a good idea in case you need to create a bridle, even if you don't have a winch.

I go off on my own alot and do stupid things sometimes, so I have built a better kit over the years. Honestly I rarely use it for myself, its usually to rescue someone else.

• Good pair of gloves
  • ARB kinetic recovery strap
  • 2x 8ft endless slings (these are good to use as tree savers, bridles, and tons of other creative uses)
  • 2x soft shackles (get one from a trusted manufacturer that is rated for your vehicles weight)
  • 2x hard shackles (get one from a trusted manufacturer that is rated for your vehicles weight)
  • Winch recovery ring (for changing directions of winch pulls or doubling the winches strength)
  • Factor 55 Hitchlink (lets you use a 2" hitch as a recovery point. Just make sure it is securely mounted to the frame)
  • Traction boards (I have cheap amazon ones, they work but won't last as long as real maxtrax)
  • full size shovel
  • 12,000 lb winch

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
For travelling solo without a winch, some basic gear would include a good shovel, some type of jack suited for your vehicle and a stable jack base so you can lift a wheel and place traction material under or stack rocks under so you can clear a high center situation. Traction boards are a great way to extract yourself (they come in all qualities and prices, suggest going with what you can afford, most of them will work, just might not last as long. Having a good tow point on your vehicle (not a trailer ball!) at front and back will make for a safe pull if someone comes along to help. many companies make a recovery point for your hitch receiver that will accept a soft or hard shackle safely. A tow strap or recovery rope will not do you much good if your are solo, but handy to have if a vehicle happens by and they do not have their own gear. beyond that lots of rigging, anchors etc do not do much good without a winch. If traveling solo in areas of no reception, a satellite device such a Garmin in-reach or Zoleo is a great safety device weather you just need to call a buddy to help or summon the cavalry if something really goes south.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I tend to solo a lot, and stick to easier trails unless I'm with a group. This is what I carry at all times:

• Two traction boards
  • Shovel
  • Kinetic rope
  • Tow strap
  • Tree saver
  • 10,000 pound winch, synthetic rope 90 feet
  • 50 feet of extra winch synthetic rope
  • Snatch block
  • Two soft shackles
  • Two hard shackles
  • Tire repair
  • CO2 air system, 10 pounds with all the air up / air down accessories

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

BRAINS.... the ability to think is top of the list but once that is covered....

After 10 years of driving a Rubicon I rrate front and rear selectable lockers at the top of the list.
Number 2 in the winter, tire chains, 4LO, Lockers and Chains will get you thru the worst winter, over ice, up steep grades.
Shacles are shacles be they soft or iron. Even a good knot will work. Don't get lost on the advertising, buy what you can afford. They all do the same thing.

When you need it kinetic rope is good..... but it is useless if you are alone. You NEED a second vehicle to use it.

I rate Selectable Lockers as the best buy and first buy. I have not used/needed my winch in 10 years.

My choices might be biased.... I always travel alone..... So solutions which involve a second vehicle are useless to me.

Last edited:

RedHawk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
BRAINS.... the ability to think is top of the list but once that is covered....

After 10 years of driving a Rubicon I rrate front and rear selectable lockers at the top of the list.
Number 2 in the winter, tire chains, 4LO, Lockers and Chains will get you thru the worst winter, over ice, up steep grades.
Shacles are shacles be they soft or iron. Even a good knot will work. Don't get lost on the advertising, buy what you can afford. They all do the same thing.

When you need it kinetic rope is good..... but it is useless if you are alone. You NEED a second vehicle to use it.

I rate Selectable Lockers as the best buy and first buy. I have not used/needed my winch in 10 years.

My choices might be biased.... I always travel alone..... So solutions which involve a second vehicle are useless to me.
Thanks on the lockers - luckily I too have front and rear selectable lockers on my midsized truck. (ZR2)

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Solo without a winch I would look at a come-a-long or a Hi-Lift jack for uses as a manual winch, come-a-long is the least cost. 100ft winch rope, pair of soft shackles, tree saver. I have a winch and carry a come-a-long in the event I need to anchor one end. Snatch block would be nice to have.

Traction boards, 2 sets if possible. Shovel.

Shop around, there are a lot of sellers and pricing is competitive.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Solo without a winch I would look at a come-a-long or a Hi-Lift jack for uses as a manual winch, come-a-long is the least cost. 100ft winch rope, pair of soft shackles, tree saver. I have a winch and carry a come-a-long in the event I need to anchor one end. Snatch block would be nice to have.

Traction boards, 2 sets if possible. Shovel.

Shop around, there are a lot of sellers and pricing is competitive.
What brand of come-a-long do you use? I’m looking for a good one for my 4Runner? What type of winch rope, cable, synthetic, does it matter?

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

What brand of come-a-long do you use? I’m looking for a good one for my 4Runner? What type of winch rope, cable, synthetic, does it matter?
Synthetic for sure. Lighter, safer, won't rust, can re-splice it if needed.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You want at least a 3 ton rated Come-Along. I haven’t ever seen a come-along with anything other than steel cable or chain used. The come-along body and handle needs to be made out of a cast material (the stamped steel ones are great for stretching fences, but suck in recovery situations; I have never had a stamped steel body come-along survive an actual self recovery).
By the time you get into the price range of a decent come-along, you are approaching winch prices.

If you decide to go with a winch, stay away from cheap brands (Smittybuilt, Badlands, and low cost Warn). The best winch on the market is anything made by Mile-Marker (especially the military series winches) and high end Warn. Badlands, Smittybuilt and low end Warn winches have poor wiring from the solenoid packs to the winch motor, inferior clutches, and are prone to dirt and water contamination from prolonged periods of unuse.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
If you decide to go with a winch, stay away from cheap brands (Smittybuilt, Badlands, and low cost Warn). The best winch on the market is anything made by Mile-Marker (especially the military series winches) and high end Warn. Badlands, Smittybuilt and low end Warn winches have poor wiring from the solenoid packs to the winch motor, inferior clutches, and are prone to dirt and water contamination from prolonged periods of unuse.
I’ll have disagree on the Badlands winch recommendation. I’ve had mine for over 2 years, I’ve used it several times with myself and others, and it’s worked flawlessly. And it was fairly inexpensive too.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

You want at least a 3 ton rated Come-Along. I haven’t ever seen a come-along with anything other than steel cable or chain used. The come-along body and handle needs to be made out of a cast material (the stamped steel ones are great for stretching fences, but suck in recovery situations; I have never had a stamped steel body come-along survive an actual self recovery).
By the time you get into the price range of a decent come-along, you are approaching winch prices.

I’ll check into the prices of the cast come-a-long’s, but last I checked the cost of a winch came with a new bumper. Lol. Which is why I’m looking at a come-a-long. Lol.

Thanks for your insight, it’s much appreciated.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I’ll have disagree on the Badlands winch recommendation. I’ve had mine for over 2 years, I’ve used it several times with myself and others, and it’s worked flawlessly. And it was fairly inexpensive too.
I use my winch all the time, mostly on others. During my last outing, both @socialpants and I had two (2) Warn winch failures at the same recovery. I’m switching to Mile Marker. Using it a few times and having it work is not a testament to quality or reliability, it just means the company is not criminal most likely. A winch should have a long and reliable service life. Both failures had potentially very serious hazard concerns.

Reactions: RedHawk

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Disagree. the 10,000 smittybilt X2O I installed is solidly built, waterproof (can withstand 1.5 m submersion for 30 minutes), and has a lifetime mechanical warranty and 5 year electronics warranty. I researched this carefully, and this winch is well-rated, and fits my needs without spending another $500 for a supposedly better brand name. It is also compact and fits into tighter spaces. I do keep my winch covered when not in use, mainly to protect the synthetic rope.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Disagree. the 10,000 smittybilt X2O I installed is solidly built, waterproof (can withstand 1.5 m submersion for 30 minutes), and has a lifetime mechanical warranty and 5 year electronics warranty. I researched this carefully, and this winch is well-rated, and fits my needs without spending another $500 for a supposedly better brand name. It is also compact and fits into tighter spaces. I do keep my winch covered when not in use, mainly to protect the synthetic rope.
I will disagree coming from a professional recover background… the only winch I have never had fail me is a Mile-Marker hydraulic winch… they are also the only 100% serviceable winch on the market.

Reactions: shansonpac

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
My response above is not disparaging of any brand except Warn. Definitely struck me, because I typically think of Warn as a trusted standby, but I can tell you, after having a winch kick out under load, or after spending 15 minutes setting up a good pull and having the winch just not work, I don’t care about reputation at that point. Both Warn winches on site did not work. I had to be directly in the line of fire holding the clutch in the lock position.

Reactions: RedHawk