Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

What do you use to record your trip?

People do alot of photography and videography (even with drones these days)

You can record your trail with vehicle trackers and some GPS's have a trail you can download to then share,
You also have Dash Cams,

what kit do you use when recording your trip?

Reactions: Tim

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

My wife has a Cannon DSLR with a couple of lenses, and I have a GoPro Hero 4. Besides those we use our phones more than anything! :o

Reactions: Kevigizmo

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

@Chili - appears these days everyone uses phones - quite convenient till the battery dies - but the up side is, if you have your GeoTagging turned on (Location data) when you take the image, it should put the coordinates from your phones internal GPS (if it has one) in the meta data :blush:

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Haha, you've got that right! Charging batteries is a constant chore while on the trail. Between the three 12v plugs, built in inverter, and a number of splitters, I really need to start looking at my battery and charging system for upgrades!

My wife is the one who is really interested in the 'art' of photography, and she spends a lot of time taking pictures when we are offroad / camping. I just snap pics for FB, Instagram and Forums with my phone. :D

This is one area where I need to get better. I so love all of the trip reports and videos here and on other forums, and really need to get better about doing my part to add content.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

indeed! thats half of it, if you are travelling with someone they are able to take the snaps that you cant whilst driving or concentrating on the important bit so that you dont end up ... really offroad!

Corrie and Michael do quite a good few videos from their phone when doing a live feed which is nice,

Having a GoPro is defo the handy bit as you can stick it on the roof bar and control from phone or use a dash cam and edit the video later - as you know teh GoPro studio is good for that kind of footage...

now its getting close to better weather i'm hoping to get a few done .. maybe.. lol

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I've had a Veho Muvi for a few years but have to admit I've only used it a few times. It seemed like a good idea at the time but when I finally got around to looking at editing hours of video I did kind of realised what a big task I had set myself up for. At the same time my wife would normally be taking loads of photos and the odd bit on the phone. The phone is just because it's quick and easy to upload to Facebook or even the OB forums [emoji6]
One word of warning though... if you want to upload video to Facebook don't be listening to music that will get added to the soundtrack. Learnt that the hard way... Facebook said NO!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I have hundreds of hours of ADV moto, dirt bike, mtn bike, kayak,...well you get the idea...and I HATE the editing part. I mean it sucks the life out me and I spend more time editing than I do participating in the activities themselves. That being said I still use my GoPro, Phantom4 drone, phone camera, etc...YAY ME!

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I almost forgot my "action" cam for my trip until I saw this thread come up. I have a go pro copy that I got cheap. It's slightly bigger, not as fancy, but works for me. And now having seen this thread, it's in the truck for the trip. :)

Reactions: Tim and Kevigizmo

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

In preparation for an upcoming trip my son and I will be doing, I bought the Hero 5 Go Pro. Plan to do a lot of documenting with this. I also have a DJI Phantom 3 Pro which I plan to take for some aerial memories. I'm also a firm believer in keeping a trip specific journal and update it nightly just to remember some of the cool stuff that doesn't get caught on video. I have found over the years that looking back at old journal experiences and remembering it as you want to can be even better than photos. Happy traveling.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

There was a fantastic idea I saw on facebook and shared a while back (which i will be doing when i go away)

If you collect a Postcard from each location on each day and write on it what you did - then send it back to yourself,
You will then have a nice bunch of cards when you return which effectively has recorded your journey - then you can bind the cards together to make a mini trip journal,

I thought that was an amazing idea :)

I guess this also points out its not just about using tech to record your trip
as @GSDforLife mentioned
I have found over the years that looking back at old journal experiences and remembering it as you want to can be even better than photos

I have seen alot of people do the same and have a written diary of the events of the day which they note down at the end of the day whilst its still fresh - makes it easier if you later on want to write a book :)

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

In a similar vane... back in the day when everything was on film and it would a while before you got the photos developed we would regularly take photos of place names or mile makers to help us remember where we were and what we where doing.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

In a similar vane... back in the day when everything was on film and it would a while before you got the photos developed we would regularly take photos of place names or mile makers to help us remember where we were and what we where doing.

I do that even today with a digital camera lol

Reactions: Tim

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Garmin makes an excellent "action camera" that has built in GPS. A good buddy of mine that goes out on trips with his rig has a Garmin Virb Ultra 30, but all of their "action cameras" will do the same. The cool thing about it is the fact that it's recording all aspects *it's doing video, and recording GPS data including incline and roll data, and track info. When you get home and run download it off the camera it has a piece of software that will overlay like a hud all this data and shows the data real time. Below is a picture still that I clipped out of one of the videos. Oh and it will do 4k if you are wanting super high res.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

What we have done on both our ICE2015 and ICE2017 Arctic Trucks Iceland Expeditions, is publish a blog article at the close of each day, adding text, locations, photos and videos.
Then when we ended our epic 6 weeks journey, the whole data set and story was completed.

This is hard work and time consuming !!!
I know, I have just finished 6 weeks around Iceland, publishing daily blog articles.
See: www.ice2017.no
But if you can hack it, it's well worth it.........

During each day, we used a number of devices (Cameras, Phones, GoPro, Tracking Devices, etc.) to record our journey.

1.Vehicle Tracking
We have a vehicle tracker system, so by the end of each day, we can see where we have been exactly.
Really nice to have a map record.

tracking_combined.png

2. Photography
Both my wife and 2 teenage kids, take loads of photos (and videos), with their phones and Nikon cameras.

DSC_7480-1024x680.jpg

3. GoPro & Drones
We also attach a number of GoPro cameras to our Expedition Vehicle, as well as to Quadcopter Drones for areal videos.

4. Data Management
What needs to be emphasised, is that you need to have good Data Management discipline - otherwise it can all go horribly wrong very quickly.

We use a dedicated external Hard Disk for each trip.
The Hard Disk has the exact number of Master Folders, to the number of days on the trip (e.g. 5 day trip: Day 01, Day 02, Day 03, Day 04, Day 05)
Within each Master (Day) Folder, there is one sub-folder for each person (by name) on the trip (e.g. 5 persons: Neil , Anja, Tuva, Dina, Gunnar)
Within each Person (Name) Folder, there is one sub-folder for each device they use (e.g. Anja Folder: Nikon D500, Nikon D300, Phone, etc.).

At the end of each day, we literally line-up all devices, and download their daily contents into their appropriate folders.
So, after a short period, everything has been downloaded from all devices.

This frees memory / disk space for tomorrows use on all devices.
It also allows the blog article publisher to then have full access to all the days material, for use within the days blog article.

To ensure that we have a redundancy factor, we also copy the Hard Drive data onto a second (backup) hard drive.
Then "all eggs are not in one basket"

Data uploads to the cloud also helps, providing you have adequate internet connectivity.
Not always the case when you are truly "Off Grid"

What is hard, is having to work all the data sets when you return from an epic trip.
If you prepare the groundwork as you go along, this makes the task somewhat more easy and less stressful.

Hope this helps :)

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

What we have done on both our ICE2015 and ICE2017 Arctic Trucks Iceland Expeditions, is publish a blog article at the close of each day, adding text, locations, photos and videos.
Then when we ended our epic 6 weeks journey, the whole data set and story was completed.

I know, I have just finished 6 weeks around Iceland, publishing daily blog articles.

During each day, we used a number of devices (Cameras, Phones, GoPro, Tracking Devices, etc.) to record our journey.

1.Vehicle Tracking
We have a vehicle tracker system, so by the end of each day, we can see where we have been exactly.

View attachment 32664

2. Photography
Both my wife and 2 teenage kids, take loads of photos (and videos), with their phones and Nikon cameras.

View attachment 32665

3. GoPro & Drones
We also attach a number of GoPro cameras to our Expedition Vehicle, as well as to Quadcopter Drones for areal videos.

4. Data Management
What needs to be emphasised, is that you need to have good Data Management discipline - otherwise it can all go horribly wrong very quickly.

The Hard Disk has the exact number of Master Folders, to the number of days on the trip (e.g. 5 day trip: Day 01, Day 02, Day 03, Day 04, Day 05)
Within each Master (Day) Folder, there is one sub-folder for each person (by name) on the trip (e.g. 5 persons: Neil , Anja, Tuva, Dina, Gunnar)
Within each Person (Name) Folder, there is one sub-folder for each device they use (e.g. Anja Folder: Nikon D500, Nikon D300, Phone, etc.).

At the end of each day, we literally line-up all devices, and download their daily contents into their appropriate folders.

It also allows the blog article publisher to then have full access to all the days material, for use within the days blog article.

To ensure that we have a redundancy factor, we also copy the Hard Drive data onto a second (backup) hard drive.

Data uploads to the cloud also helps, providing you have adequate internet connectivity.

What is hard, is having to work all the data sets when you return from an epic trip.
If you prepare the groundwork as you go along, this makes the task somewhat more easy and less stressful.

Great Video, which drone did you use? I've seen a lot of footage from drones and I'm interested in getting one myself.

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Great Video, which drone did you use? I've seen a lot of footage from drones and I'm interested in getting one myself.
Glad you liked the video :)

Actually, a friend shot this video for us with his drone, so that we could drive the river whilst he filmed, and I am not sure what he actually has.
It was a new one he had just bought, and was trying it out.

I will send him a message and find out for you.

We have a couple of home-made drones.
Checkout our website (www.ice2017.no) "Quadcopter Project" Page:
http://ice2017.no/expedition-quadcopter/

Good Luck with you future drone :)

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

1.Vehicle Tracking

View attachment 32664

2. Photography

View attachment 32665

3. GoPro & Drones

4. Data Management

I like your Data Management detail.. Particularly the folders breakdown with days > individual > camera. Going through everything at home at the end of a trip is definitely not a good method. :o

I've added a dash cam so now have our two cell phones, gopro, DSLR and that dashcam. And we always have down time at camp. Granted, I'm not trying to put out videos or anything, these are just for us, but would like an easier way to edit stuff into a 'final video' with the good stuff cut together in one file.

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

i use the gopro more then my phone but if my gopro battery dies ill normally then use my phone , but i usualy mount my gopro in my truck on a stand right at the windshield, pretty cool view

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I like your Data Management detail.. Particularly the folders breakdown with days > individual > camera. Going through everything at home at the end of a trip is definitely not a good method. :o

I've added a dash cam so now have our two cell phones, gopro, DSLR and that dashcam. And we always have down time at camp. Granted, I'm not trying to put out videos or anything, these are just for us, but would like an easier way to edit stuff into a 'final video' with the good stuff cut together in one file.
Hei Chili
Thanks a lot for your kind reply.
I think a lot of folks would clearly benefit from a litte Data Management discipline.
After a trip, there are so many photos, videos, data files, etc.
Without discipline and structure, it's commonly a data minefield to wade through later, which puts a lot of folk off, and lot of good material is lost / forgotten.
If you take to time to prepare ahead, by making the disc, folders, sub-folders ready, it just takes the time to download into the correct location each day.
Good luck with your future adventures.
Cheers
Neil :)

Reactions: Craig M