Ready to embrace propane...finally

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I’ve never been a big fan of propane camping gear because I don’t care for the small canisters. I currently have a Coleman dual fuel stove and white gas lantern. We did pick up a propane catalytic heater a few years back on a trip to Utah when temps at night were dipping in to the 20s. Then I discovered an adapter that allowed me to use a standard LP tank and my whole view has changed.

5396318C-AECE-498A-8663-F183F18B8AEE.jpeg

I tested it out on my heater using an 11 lb. tank and it worked like a champ. So now I’ve ordered a Colman propane camping stove and will be getting a propane tank mounting bracket to mount to my expedition trailer.

CC1E162F-0FF5-4C2D-8B8E-251474D748FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Nice. Utah forced us to get a propane fire ring awhile back due to campfire restrictions and my stove came with an adapter for those larger tanks. We still carry the green ones for backup or when he fire ring isn't needed, but it's convenient having everything off one fuel source. I imagine you'll like your new stove, no more messing with kerosene or white gas smells/odors/residues.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I resisted propane until the beginning of this year. My Coleman gear includes a stove, lantern and catalytic heater that all burn Coleman fuel. At the beginning of this year I picked up our new off road teardrop trailer which has a propane stove and tank. So, I retired the Coleman fuel gear and went electric for the lighting and no heater because the trailer is much warmer than the tent was. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the brightness and sound of the old Coleman lantern but all in all things have worked out.

-Curtiss

Reactions: JimInBC and MisterC

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I’ve never been a big fan of propane camping gear because I don’t care for the small canisters. I currently have a Coleman dual fuel stove and white gas lantern. We did pick up a propane catalytic heater a few years back on a trip to Utah when temps at night were dipping in to the 20s. Then I discovered an adapter that allowed me to use a standard LP tank and my whole view has changed.

View attachment 42372

I tested it out on my heater using an 11 lb. tank and it worked like a champ. So now I’ve ordered a Colman propane camping stove and will be getting a propane tank mounting bracket to mount to my expedition trailer.

View attachment 42373
Coleman makes a 2 piece distribution post that attaches right to your propane tank. It allows you to mount a lantern to the the top and has two taps on the side that you hook those adapter hoses to. So, I use a Weber grill, a Camp stove and my lantern off of one propane tank. The post breaks down and takes up almost no space at all.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Is there any benefit to the 5lb vs the 20lb tank aside from saving space and easier to store in or out of the vehicle? I like that pole/splitter/lantern holder idea.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I’m running an 11 lb tank. For me it’s the best combination of dimensions and capacity, especially since I’m planning on mounting the tank on the side of my trailer.

Reactions: FJ81

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
You can get an adapter to refill the small coleman bottles off a larger propane bottle. Its not the safest but is an option if you wanna save space.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we use 20lb propane bottle w\ Mr. Heater propane distribution post for our Camp Chef Everest stove 5 ft hose & a Coleman 2 mantle lantern.
vegasjeepguy if you want a top notch tent furnace that you can serve you & the wife "all" night w\o any hazards check out Propex H2000, which is a automatic thermostatically controlled blown air heating system that is a on demand unit that switches on & off to maintain the desired temperature reached in your tent. When the tent temperature drops below the selected temperature you set the thermostat at the Propex H2000 will automatically ignite and run until the tent reaches the selected temp again. The hot air is blown into the tent with ducting, the unit is powered from propane & 12v & only draws barely 2 amp hour. Air is drawn from outside and passed into the combustion chamber, is mixed with the propane and is ignited heating up of the heat exchanger which will test & monitoring the flame, case temperature, combustion airflow for safe heat to be piped in the tent. If this system detects any predetermined levels of unsafe gases, the furnace will be shutoff automatically & the red light on the thermostat (which is inside the tent) will indicate a fault by flashing a certain number of times.
You can purchase this unit as a kit & build the box your self (which I did) or buy it as a complete unit. It aint cheap as of price. but IMO how can you put a price on safety.
http://store.adventuretrailers.com/categories/HEATER/

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
I think if you are using propane via the larger, refillable propane tanks commonly found on trailers or home BBQ's, they're just fine as they are reusable and refillable. I am, however, completely against the use of the small Coleman propane "camp size" bottles. It's such an absurd waste of space. And by waste of space, I mean landfill space. This might rub a few the wrong way, but to me, it's laziness. Your stove/lantern/heater starts up quicker, sure, but it has always amazed me that so many people who claim to "Tread Lightly" or act as "Stewards" of the trails will knowingly buy canister after canister of camping propane, and promptly toss them into the rubbish bin without thinking twice.

I'm love my white gas stuff, personally. White gas has a shelf life that would put cockroaches and Twinkies to shame. It also will burn at altitude, which is the other major achilles heel to pressurized propane canisters. I use a couple different stoves, depending on where I'm at: an old SVEA 123, a MSR Whisperlite International, a Coleman Featherlite, and my Grandfather's old 1954 Coleman double burner suitcase. All take white gas, and all run beautifully. Same goes for my tried and true Coleman double mantle lantern.

I would urge anyone reading this to reconsider the use of those little green propane tanks.

Sorry if this came off as rantish...but after seeing, and cleaning up, tons of those stupid little propane tanks from campsites, trails, rivers, etc....I kind of see them as the devil. LOL

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I'm with Kuhn on the white gas being better for sure. Especially at elevation. I love the convenience of my JetBoil but backpacking last summer @ 9000' it was wimpy and on a freezing fall trip to the eastern Sierras it was worthless, it was like trying to heat up ice water on simmer.. plus the trash factor is bad.

I still have a propane double burner and my trusty green pump up coleman double burner and I'd say White Gas wins.

Reactions: Smokey_Bear_JLUR

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I think if you are using propane via the larger, refillable propane tanks commonly found on trailers or home BBQ's, they're just fine as they are reusable and refillable. I am, however, completely against the use of the small Coleman propane "camp size" bottles. It's such an absurd waste of space. And by waste of space, I mean landfill space. This might rub a few the wrong way, but to me, it's laziness. Your stove/lantern/heater starts up quicker, sure, but it has always amazed me that so many people who claim to "Tread Lightly" or act as "Stewards" of the trails will knowingly buy canister after canister of camping propane, and promptly toss them into the rubbish bin without thinking twice.

I'm love my white gas stuff, personally. White gas has a shelf life that would put cockroaches and Twinkies to shame. It also will burn at altitude, which is the other major achilles heel to pressurized propane canisters. I use a couple different stoves, depending on where I'm at: an old SVEA 123, a MSR Whisperlite International, a Coleman Featherlite, and my Grandfather's old 1954 Coleman double burner suitcase. All take white gas, and all run beautifully. Same goes for my tried and true Coleman double mantle lantern.

I would urge anyone reading this to reconsider the use of those little green propane tanks.

Sorry if this came off as rantish...but after seeing, and cleaning up, tons of those stupid little propane tanks from campsites, trails, rivers, etc....I kind of see them as the devil. LOL
I hope that came across as one of the reasons I had not adopted propane sooner.

Reactions: Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Sorry if this came off as rantish...
Nah, it's totally justified, and sometimes you've gotta rant and make people uncomfortable to make a difference. When I replaced my old pump white gas Coleman stove with a newer model, I started using the little green bottles. I ended up w/ a lantern that uses them as well (still have the white gas Coleman lantern too, just stopped bringing it), and then I got a Mr. Buddy heater so I could warm my tent up for the kid. Every time I bought those stupid 3-packs of canisters, I felt a twinge, but then I'd shrug, and buy them anyway. After all, I use reusable shopping bags, so it balances out right?

Your rant is just the thing I needed too see to stop being so damn lazy and figure out a solution. I'll be switching to the larger refillable sized ASAP. I damn well shoulda done it ages ago...

Plus, another reason to buy a trailer, so I can carry the big tank!