Rav4

• HTML tutorial

Sangoquiza1

Rank II

Advocate II

USA
I know not many people believe in Rav4s being nice little rigs for trails and overlanding but here’s mine, 2010 4wd, with dif locks. So far it has a 1.5” lift and 30” tires, standing well over a foot of clearance. She’s getting a custom bumper done soon that follows the design of the pelfreybilts for Tacoma’s, and will have a winch as well, some mud trails here in Oregon are brutal so a winch will be a must. Anyways, I hope this brings inspiration and positivity for other people out there with trusty little Rav4s.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I know not many people believe in Rav4s being nice little rigs for trails and overlanding but here’s mine, 2010 4wd, with dif locks. So far it has a 1.5” lift and 30” tires, standing well over a foot of clearance. She’s getting a custom bumper done soon that follows the design of the pelfreybilts for Tacoma’s, and will have a winch as well, some mud trails here in Oregon are brutal so a winch will be a must. Anyways, I hope this brings inspiration and positivity for other people out there with trusty little Rav4s.

Kewel! I dig it. [emoji1360]

Green hammock

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey!

I own a Rav4 2012 and i am looking to do the same thing you did with mine. I am happy to find someone like me.

WOW! a diff locker, where did you find/buy that, what is the company?
What is the lift kit, is it spacers or coil/spring kit?
Are the 30'' tires rubbing anywhere?

Your rig is nice! I'll be making a big overland adventure across Canada up to the arctic circle, that's why i want to outfit my rig.

Sorry for the interrogatory...lol

Thanks for the info

Math

Reactions: T-88

Sangoquiza1

Rank II

Advocate II

USA
Hey!

I own a Rav4 2012 and i am looking to do the same thing you did with mine. I am happy to find someone like me.

WOW! a diff locker, where did you find/buy that, what is the company?
What is the lift kit, is it spacers or coil/spring kit?
Are the 30'' tires rubbing anywhere?

Your rig is nice! I'll be making a big overland adventure across Canada up to the arctic circle, that's why i want to outfit my rig.

Sorry for the interrogatory...lol

Thanks for the info

Math
Hey man, don’t totally copy me, be original and be yourself hahaha. There’s a lot more overlanding ravs on instagram. Dif lock comes stock with my car, the sport version. Only lift kit even available for any Rav4 at the moment are some spacers online. Tires definitely rub on the bumper so I chopped off some of it, waiting for my new high clearance bumper to be done, that way no more rubbing up front, still have an issue with rubbing towards the cab, so I’m getting my cab chopped up a bit and welding a piece of metal back so nothing gets in and bedlining it eventually, but it’s nothing I can’t live with for a few months. Thanks man! And good luck on your trip, what part of Canada, left or right side? Im in Oregon. Personally I don’t think you need too much for a rav, I’m outfitting mine more aimed for mudding and tougher trails than what you’d see simply overlanding so I don’t see a lot of stuff all too necessary. Maybe some all terrain tires would be better for what you’re aiming for and I don’t see much need for the lift unless you’re doing some heavy stuff, save the money man, Hahahah, my motto is to work the car based on necessity, not on wants. Anyways. Cheers out there man, nice seeing people wanting to do stuff with ravs, I get asked the same questions about the lift and tires and whatnot all too much by people that don’t even go wheeling or anything that I’m tired of answering so all I say is, be unique, don’t copy me, and save your money. Don’t get bigger tires if you don’t need them, you lose fuel efficiency. Anyways! Keep me updated on your Rav man.

Green hammock

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey man, don’t totally copy me, be original and be yourself hahaha. There’s a lot more overlanding ravs on instagram. Dif lock comes stock with my car, the sport version. Only lift kit even available for any Rav4 at the moment are some spacers online. Tires definitely rub on the bumper so I chopped off some of it, waiting for my new high clearance bumper to be done, that way no more rubbing up front, still have an issue with rubbing towards the cab, so I’m getting my cab chopped up a bit and welding a piece of metal back so nothing gets in and bedlining it eventually, but it’s nothing I can’t live with for a few months. Thanks man! And good luck on your trip, what part of Canada, left or right side? Im in Oregon. Personally I don’t think you need too much for a rav, I’m outfitting mine more aimed for mudding and tougher trails than what you’d see simply overlanding so I don’t see a lot of stuff all too necessary. Maybe some all terrain tires would be better for what you’re aiming for and I don’t see much need for the lift unless you’re doing some heavy stuff, save the money man, Hahahah, my motto is to work the car based on necessity, not on wants. Anyways. Cheers out there man, nice seeing people wanting to do stuff with ravs, I get asked the same questions about the lift and tires and whatnot all too much by people that don’t even go wheeling or anything that I’m tired of answering so all I say is, be unique, don’t copy me, and save your money. Don’t get bigger tires if you don’t need them, you lose fuel efficiency. Anyways! Keep me updated on your Rav man.

Thanks for the info!

And don't be afraid...I was not planning on copying you. I am doing just like you said, saving money for a six month travel in all of Canada (east and west) and a Tacoma in the future! I asked because I already looked on what was doable on the Rav4 and I found the same thing as you did (spacers and rubbing tires). I was wondering how it really was doing.

Like you advised me, I am planning on buying some all terrain tires (BF Goodrich KO2) I think it will be just enough for the famous Dempster highway up in Yukon and Northwest Territories. I went in Oregon last year!! It's beautiful. Hopefully I'll explore more of it later.

Hey man, enjoy the trails out there are and again nice build!

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Awesome!

There's a youtuber that used a 2011 Rav4 to travel in the US, I think his channel is called SUV RVing (something like that).

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Sangoquiza1

Rank II

Advocate II

USA
Thanks for the info!

And don't be afraid...I was not planning on copying you. I am doing just like you said, saving money for a six month travel in all of Canada (east and west) and a Tacoma in the future! I asked because I already looked on what was doable on the Rav4 and I found the same thing as you did (spacers and rubbing tires). I was wondering how it really was doing.

Like you advised me, I am planning on buying some all terrain tires (BF Goodrich KO2) I think it will be just enough for the famous Dempster highway up in Yukon and Northwest Territories. I went in Oregon last year!! It's beautiful. Hopefully I'll explore more of it later.

Hey man, enjoy the trails out there are and again nice build!
Good luck man! If you’re ever around don’t doubt I’m shooting me a message

Sangoquiza1

Rank II

Advocate II

USA
this is awesome! Probably one of the most unique overland builds I have yet to see. Cant wait to see what else you do with it.
Thank you man! Getting ready to buy a few maxtrax and just got ahold with king springs to see if they make me custom lifting springs

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I almost bought one years ago, but wound up with a Jeep XJ. What a garbage rig that was. It took me 6 years to tame the electrical gremlins. By then it had continuing mechanical gremlins and the floor was rusting out. In 2015, I sold it at half price and bought an FJ Cruiser. I should have bought a Toyota instead of the Heep. I won't make that mistake again!

Sangoquiza1

Rank II

Advocate II

USA
I almost bought one years ago, but wound up with a Jeep XJ. What a garbage rig that was. It took me 6 years to tame the electrical gremlins. By then it had continuing mechanical gremlins and the floor was rusting out. In 2015, I sold it at half price and bought an FJ Cruiser. I should have bought a Toyota instead of the Heep. I won't make that mistake again!
Hey! You can never go wrong with a Toyota. You really gotta give em a beating before they break on ya! Good luck out there man!

Sangoquiza1

Rank II

Advocate II

USA
That is clean, honestly never thought about it, but now I will!!! This rig would work well out here in the Mojave Desert!

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
Definitely man! I’m planning on taking it to a trip out to the deserts in eastern Oregon this summer and then possible Arizona! It’s a nice little sleek car and will for sure be able to take a beating

Reactions: T-88