Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Just an FYI or reminder. I just found out that a daughter of a friend was bitten by a rattlesnake while walking the shoreline down on the coast here in Texas. That jogged a memory that Texas Parks and Wildlife put out about rattlesnakes on the beaches in the Galveston area. They come out along the beaches this time of year. She was walking at night with no light. So anyone planning a trip down around the beaches south of Houston keep and eye for them and carry a light at night.

Reactions: TxJeeper75

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
it is getting to be mating season for many types of snakes... IIRC in central alabama, they have a rattlesnake rodeo (snake hunters get together to cull the population) in early august uphere in tennessee the copperheads are in mating season in late september. that reminds me... I need to look into getting a set of danner pronghorns soon... my old snake boots have worn out.

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
it is getting to be mating season for many types of snakes... IIRC in central alabama, they have a rattlesnake rodeo (snake hunters get together to cull the population) in early august uphere in tennessee the copperheads are in mating season in late september. that reminds me... I need to look into getting a set of danner pronghorns soon... my old snake boots have worn out.
Don't see many rattlesnakes around my part of Texas but copperheads dang all the time.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I know they are at Malaquite beach (Big Shell) but never seen them there.
Have seen huge hogs and plenty of large deer, yes actually on the beach.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I think the hog population has exceeded the human population here in Texas.
From what I have read, I believe it has... I would love to get a refrigerated trailer and drive down there with an AR10 and relieve you Texans of a couple tons (literally) of feral hogs. I would even be willing to show what I learned as a professional pit master. but alas, I currently could not transport that much meat home. Closest I can do now is a large cooler that will hold the meat from a couple after I have butchered them in a brine solution with a block or two of dry ice.

and for the reccord, I MUCH prefer a Rattler to a Copper Head or Cotton Mouth... Rattlers at least try to give ye warning

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
From what I have read, I believe it has... I would love to get a refrigerated trailer and drive down there with an AR10 and relieve you Texans of a couple tons (literally) of feral hogs. I would even be willing to show what I learned as a professional pit master. but alas, I currently could not transport that much meat home. Closest I can do now is a large cooler that will hold the meat from a couple after I have butchered them in a brine solution with a block or two of dry ice.

and for the reccord, I MUCH prefer a Rattler to a Copper Head or Cotton Mouth... Rattlers at least try to give ye warning
Amen to the warning. Oh believe me we have such a hog problem in parts of Texas filling a reefer van probably wouldn't be hard but getting on to the land to well that's a whole another topic

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

Do you guys ever try eating them? I've always wanted to try it. As the joke goes, tastes like chicken?

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Must be the year for it we even have a warning out in BC and our population of Rattlers is small and protected, interior of the province only. Pretty rare to see one normally.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thats wild I lived on Crystal Beach and went to ball high shool in those 4 years I had never seen a rattler on the coast. ive seen plenty of hogs and coyotes come onto the beach to eat some dead porpoises. Last Thanksgiving we were visited by a sounder of hogs on high island. I've always thought the major dangers down on Galveston were the sharks , the mosquitoes, the guy in bolivar that had a tiger before hurricane ike and the meth addicts.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN

Amen to the warning. Oh believe me we have such a hog problem in parts of Texas filling a reefer van probably wouldn't be hard but getting on to the land to well that's a whole another topic
Any time you want to go @Boppa's Travels, I have a buddy south of me always inviting me out.

GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
Rattlesnakes are good eating!! I worked at a sand and gravel pit in Arizona for a few years and there were these backwoods brothers that would go in really early before the sun came up and catch a couple to grill for the crew for lunch. They’re also good breaded and fried like on a po boy sandwich.