Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

My 2020 Ram 1500 had been having some odd grinding issues so I took it into the shop. They called me told me that someone had tampered with the rear differential and that it needed to be replaced because it was pretty much shot. I've had the truck for about 6 months, it has around 6,000 miles, and it's stock. There's no modifications at all. I assume I bought it from the dealer this way and they didn't disclose it (and a differential isn't something I'd check on a brand new vehicle anyway) but it's not likely they'll admit to it even if it was them and there's no way to prove it anyway. I haven't even had a chance to get an oil change in it yet. The shop (not the same dealer I bought it from) is telling me because it has been tampered with, it's not covered by warranty.

So now I'm looking at my options. I can see if insurance will cover it, and if they will that may be the most cost effective way of handling this by just paying the deductible. If I have to go out of pocket, does anybody have any guesses as to what something like this would cost to replace? A new differential? Any other options out there?

• Wow
Reactions: EXPO_D1

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Did you buy it new from the dealer? And then took it to a 3rd party shop for diagnostic who told you the diff is jacked? And you're assuming the dealer will shirk the warranty claim?

I wouldn't let your shop work on it, pay them for the work they've already done and tow it to the dealership you bought it from. Give them the chance to warranty it first before you start sourcing out of pocket solutions.

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Did you buy it new from the dealer? And then took it to a 3rd party shop for diagnostic who told you the diff is jacked? And you're assuming the dealer will shirk the warranty claim?

I wouldn't let your shop work on it, pay them for the work they've already done and tow it to the dealership you bought it from. Give them the chance to warranty it first before you start sourcing out of pocket solutions.
I took it to a Dodge dealership that was closer to where I live than the one I bought it from. I'm happy to take it to the place I bought it from if required, but I have a feeling they're going to tell me they didn't touch it and it's my problem to deal with.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Did they say how it was "tampered with"?

I would try to get a service history on the truck from the original dealership, maybe they did the previous work on the rear end. I would think a dealership would be eager to take on warranty work as they get paid for service and parts from the factory. Did you buy it new or used? If it was used and there's no service history for the diff work then I would carefully review your paperwork from purchase and see if you have a "certified pre-owned" coverage.

You're in a tough spot and I feel for you but something seems really fishy with the situation. Keep pushing them until it's not worth your time. I'm a bit stubborn and would be a big pain in their ass before I paid out of pocket for the repair.

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Did they say how it was "tampered with"?
They said that the plate had been removed before, but wouldn't say how they knew that. They asked if they could keep it overnight (in the late afternoon when I couldn't get there before they closed anyway) and then said they were going to remove the plate, but I didn't authorize that. I want to know how it was tampered with, as well. Unless they can prove to me that it has been tampered with, and since I didn't authorize them to remove the plate (which would be eliminate the "evidence" of tampering, as I understand it), then I'm not going to just take their word for it.

I would try to get a service history on the truck from the original dealership, maybe they did the previous work on the rear end. I would think a dealership would be eager to take on warranty work as they get paid for service and parts from the factory. Did you buy it new or used? If it was used and there's no service history for the diff work then I would carefully review your paperwork from purchase and see if you have a "certified pre-owned" coverage.
I bought it new, and they said they didn't see any previous warranty work done and they didn't think any work had been done that they could tell from their inspection. They said they need to take pictures and send it to Chrysler to understand what the next steps are, including who pays for it. I'm adamant that it's a brand new truck with 6,000 miles on it and I didn't mess with the differential. Who messes with the differential on a brand new truck anyway?

You're in a tough spot and I feel for you but something seems really fishy with the situation. Keep pushing them until it's not worth your time. I'm a bit stubborn and would be a big pain in their ass before I paid out of pocket for the repair.
Thanks. I absolutely intend on continuing to press this until it's fixed. I'm unwilling to accept

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Thanks very much for indulging my curiosity, I wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Sorry to hear that man. I have seen a few of the newer ram 1500s have some issues but usually transmission. The thing about dealerships of it did have a diff issue and they messed with it and didn’t record it you can never prove they cause the issue. Honestly I have a 2020 ram 2500 and unless I blow a motor or something big I’ve basically decided I won’t have the dealer do a thing and I’ll pay for my trusted diesel shop to do the work.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
They said that the plate had been removed before, but wouldn't say how they knew that. They asked if they could keep it overnight (in the late afternoon when I couldn't get there before they closed anyway) and then said they were going to remove the plate, but I didn't authorize that. I want to know how it was tampered with, as well. Unless they can prove to me that it has been tampered with, and since I didn't authorize them to remove the plate (which would be eliminate the "evidence" of tampering, as I understand it), then I'm not going to just take their word for it....
you actually did authorize that work... to inspect the differential the tamper plate has to be removed... you can’t even begin a comprehensive diagnostic with said plate still intact. Now my question is since the plate in question is held on by two bolts and hangs down a little lower than the differential and is a flimsy piece of stamped aluminum is it possible it got knocked off along the trail somewhere? It wouldn’t take much force to remove the tag.
One last thought before I go... Did you see the tamper plate before dropping the rig off at the dealership?

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

you actually did authorize that work... to inspect the differential the tamper plate has to be removed... you can’t even begin a comprehensive diagnostic with said plate still intact. Now my question is since the plate in question is held on by two bolts and hangs down a little lower than the differential and is a flimsy piece of stamped aluminum is it possible it got knocked off along the trail somewhere? It wouldn’t take much force to remove the tag.
One last thought before I go... Did you see the tamper plate before dropping the rig off at the dealership?
Interesting point. I guess my issue with that is then I have no way of proving anything. I didn't have a way to prove anything before, but now I definitely won't if they remove it. As far as trails, I haven't been down any trails, but I've been down some dirt roads with a lot of pot holes but I don't think that would be enough to make the tamper plate fail or fall off.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

They are gonna try everything they can to screw you out of a warranty especially at a dealer go directly to Mopar and complain. Seems like dodge ownership hasn't changed much since I had a 1500 in 97

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
As mentioned above, the dealership is saying that it's not covered under warranty.
Go to RAM Cares any ways... go to RamForums... tell your story... be a pain in the rear end... Take it to another dealership... I’ve read of a lot of warranty scams pulled by Mopar dealerships the past few years that all ended in the customers favor... I was one of those with a failed motor in a Jeep... you have to be I too if your game or they will take advantage of you.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Interesting point. I guess my issue with that is then I have no way of proving anything. I didn't have a way to prove anything before, but now I definitely won't if they remove it. As far as trails, I haven't been down any trails, but I've been down some dirt roads with a lot of pot holes but I don't think that would be enough to make the tamper plate fail or fall off.
If they don’t remove it how can they prove you need warranty work done?

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Go to RAM Cares any ways... go to RamForums... tell your story... be a pain in the rear end... Take it to another dealership... I’ve read of a lot of warranty scams pulled by Mopar dealerships the past few years that all ended in the customers favor... I was one of those with a failed motor in a Jeep... you have to be I too if your game or they will take advantage of you.
I wasn't aware that there were this many issues with Dodge/Chrysler dealerships. That's incredibly unfortunate and not something I was aware of prior to my purchase. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the suggestions provided.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
• If the authorized dealership charges you for repairs which you feel should be covered under your warranty, please get a detailed receipt for the work done. Make sure that this receipt lists all warranty
repairs and parts that were involved. (This receipt
will be similar to the one used by the dealer who normally services your truck.

How to Deal with Warranty Problems
7.1 Steps to Take
A. In General
Normally, warranty problems can be resolved by your dealer’s sales or service departments. That’s why you should always talk to your dealer’s service manager or sales manager first. But if you’re not satisfied with your dealer’s response to your problem, Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") recommends that you do the following:
Step 1: Discuss your problem with the owner or general manager of the dealership.
Step 2: If your dealership still can’t resolve the problem, contact the Chrysler Customer Assis- tance Center. You’ll find the address in
section 7.2.
B. What Chrysler Will Do
Once you have followed the two steps described in 7.1(A), a Chrysler representative at Chrysler headquarters will review your situation. If it’s something that Chrysler can help you with, Chrysler will provide your dealer with all the information and assistance necessary to resolve the problem. Even if Chrysler can’t help you, Chrysler will acknowledge your contact and explain Chrysler's position.
HOW TO DEAL WITH WARRANTY PROBLEMS

HOW TO DEAL WITH WARRANTY PROBLEMS
C. If Your Problem Still Isn’t Resolved For Customers Residing in Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky and Minnesota ONLY:
(NOTE: This Process is not available for
residents of other states.)
If you can’t resolve your warranty problem after following the two steps described in 7.1(A), and you live in Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky or Minne- sota ONLY, you can contact the Chrysler Motors LLC Customer Arbitration Process in your area.
You may obtain a brochure describing Chrysler Motors LLC's Customer Arbitration Process, including an application, by calling 1-800-992-1997. This service is strictly voluntary, and you may submit your dispute directly to the Customer Arbitration Process (CAP) at no cost. The CAP is administered by an independent dispute settlement
organization and may be contacted in writing at the following address:
National Center for Dispute Settlement Chrysler Motors LLC Customer Arbitration Process P.O. Box560208
Dallas, TX 75356-0208

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I wasn't aware that there were this many issues with Dodge/Chrysler dealerships. That's incredibly unfortunate and not something I was aware of prior to my purchase. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the suggestions provided.
I've not had this experience with Fiat/Dodge/Ram/Chrysler… (whatever). We have had a journey and a Durango in the last 8 years that have had some electronic issues, some cooling system issues that were pretty early on in their life. Covered by warranty with not much fuss that I can remember. No issues yet with my 2019 Ram1500 but the dealership would be my first destination if it was a repair I expected to be a warranty issue.

I'm not a Ram fanboy, I don't think there's a company out there worthy of blind faith these days but I'd at least give them the chance to do right by you.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Here’s some more fuel to your fire.

A full list of Mopar 2018-2020 recalls

• Wow
Reactions: EXPO_D1 and Pretzel

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've not had this experience with Fiat/Dodge/Ram/Chrysler… (whatever). We have had a journey and a Durango in the last 8 years that have had some electronic issues, some cooling system issues that were pretty early on in their life. Covered by warranty with not much fuss that I can remember. No issues yet with my 2019 Ram1500 but the dealership would be my first destination if it was a repair I expected to be a warranty issue.

I'm not a Ram fanboy, I don't think there's a company out there worthy of blind faith these days but I'd at least give them the chance to do right by you.
It’s not all of the dealerships, and usually done by a third party dealership (meaning not the dealership that sold the rig). I have a very good local dealership, but I didn’t buy my Jeep local... I bought it out of state before moving back to Oregon... My Ram was bought new here and has always been serviced at this local dealership.

Reactions: Pretzel