Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have some Frogg Togg rain gear that I've owned for about 8 years and I'm thinking of getting some new gear. I just got back from the Appalachian Toyota Roundup in Tennessee where it rained for 3 days. What are your suggestions for rain gear (pants/jacket)?

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

REI sells a lot of brands that are decent and moderately priced, but if you're going to be in pouring rain for hours, spend the money to get double layer Gore Tex, if not triple.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

I like the Frogg stuff to. Cheap and breaths well. I think a full suit is $20 at Big 5.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

For real work in real nasty conditions I use grundens fishing gear, but for light duty I've been happy with the lightweight stuff from Columbia. Not as good as goretex but very affordable. Depends on how often it'll get used I suppose. Once in awhile use, I'd save the money unless you're doing a lot of hiking or something.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The zipper on my Frogg Toggs top broke leaving just a small nib to grab with my fingers. Maybe I just replace my top. Though the reviews I'm reading are that many people are experiencing broken zippers. Another complaint I have with the Frogg Toggs is that the jacket doesn't pull tight around my neck/face and the hood easily blows off my head in any amount of wind.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have the Cabela's Guidewear GoreTex Anorak and matching pants. I bought them when I joined their "club" and saved about $50. Link: https://goo.gl/9tQn9E

I keep Frogg Toggs under the saddle on my scooter for when I get caught in the rain. Works okay, but not completely waterproof.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have the Cabela's Guidewear GoreTex Anorak and matching pants. I bought them when I joined their "club" and saved about $50. Link: https://goo.gl/9tQn9E

I keep Frogg Toggs under the saddle on my scooter for when I get caught in the rain. Works okay, but not completely waterproof.
That Guidewear looks pretty nice. I just ordered the Frogg Toggs River Toadz jacket for $15.98. Half of what Amazon is selling it for. I just hope that I don't have zipper issues which I read in the reviews.

jtranum

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cleveland, MS
Member #

I may be a be a bit of a fanboy to Arc'Teryx but their stuff flat out is bomb proof, Marmot is my second go to with both companies using Gor-Tex material. The Arc'Teryx Alpha SV is my heavy duty jacket I use for alpine climbing and snow sports, it is expensive at $500+ but it is consistently rated as one of the best hardshell jackets on the market. I've never had the Alpha SV wet out even in the longest torrential downpours. My everyday rain jacket is the Marmot Edge softshell available only from REI, it packs down well and breaths great. The Marmot is very trim fit, which I'm a slimmer person so trim fit is one reason I like the Marmot Edge shell so much, it fits like a glove. The downside to the Marmot Edge is it is single layer material, so it does sweat a little more than multi-layer shells and will chill your body faster than a thicker or multi-layer shell.

Cheaping out on rain gear is a lot a people's worst decision when they are stuck miles away from shelter and a storm blows in out of no-where.

Reactions: LR4ME

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

I may be a be a bit of a fanboy to Arc'Teryx but their stuff flat out is bomb proof, Marmot is my second go to with both companies using Gor-Tex material. The Arc'Teryx Alpha SV is my heavy duty jacket I use for alpine climbing and snow sports, it is expensive at $500+ but it is consistently rated as one of the best hardshell jackets on the market. I've never had the Alpha SV wet out even in the longest torrential downpours. My everyday rain jacket is the Marmot Edge softshell available only from REI, it packs down well and breaths great. The Marmot is very trim fit, which I'm a slimmer person so trim fit is one reason I like the Marmot Edge shell so much, it fits like a glove. The downside to the Marmot Edge is it is single layer material, so it does sweat a little more than multi-layer shells and will chill your body faster than a thicker or multi-layer shell.

Cheaping out on rain gear is a lot a people's worst decision when they are stuck miles away from shelter and a storm blows in out of no-where.
I'm with you on Arc Teryx, and is somebody wants total bombproof protection, the SV line is the way to go.

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

I always wear Páramo. Breathable, hard wearing and ethically produced. Also repairable when it gets damaged

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Now I've got two Frogg Toggs tops. The one from many years ago that feels like coated paper, has a broken zipper, and a hood that is pretty much useless. And the new Frogg Toggs River Toadz jacket that I just received and was only able to use once. It's a night/day difference with the new jacket. Much more comfortable. I'll keep the old one for those "just in case" moments.

Alfster

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sand Springs, OK
Member #

I also like the Frog Toggs for emergency type situations, or if I'm hanging around my camp or for those just off and on rainy kind of days.

For serious rain, I really like Gore-Tex based stuff. I have a Gore-Tex Jacket and Pants, from Mountain Hardware. I've had it for several years, I used it the most for a hiking trip in Glacier Nat'l park in my younger, skinnier days. Hiked in pouring rain for several days, and stayed pretty dry. It was an investment, and although it fits more snuglly these days, I still break it out for camping.