Suffolk, NY, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Blu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUF742
Is anyone aware of a rack lift system similar to what is on the xventure xv-2? I am trying to plan out a trailer but looking into other options besides having tubes slide into another tube. This video shows the system I am referring to:

Thanks

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The system in the video is using tube inside tube (nesting) with support struts.
Building that system is simple except for calculating the support strength.
I use that type of gas support in projects. I end up buying a few sets before I get it right. Fortunately their not too expensive.
If their too weak, it will not support the weight while your installing the lock pin. Too much and its tough to pull them back down.

Once its built, you cant add or subtract too much weight without going to a diffrent pressure support.

Reactions: rblumenthal

rblumenthal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Suffolk, NY, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Blu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUF742
The system in the video is using tube inside tube (nesting) with support struts.
Building that system is simple except for calculating the support strength.
I use that type of gas support in projects. I end up buying a few sets before I get it right. Fortunately their not too expensive.
If their too weak, it will not support the weight while your installing the lock pin. Too much and its tough to pull them back down.

Once its built, you cant add or subtract too much weight without going to a diffrent pressure support.
great thanks. didnt realize it was that 'simple'. I guess I can do something like this and use an angle piece to attach to the trailer box.

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I would not do the tubing the way they did it in the video. They have the outer tube on the bottom. You need to put the inner on the bottom. This way the outside tube will keep the dust from "filling up' the gap. Like an umbrella
I've been towing off road trailers for most of my life. The shear amount of dust on them is incredible. If I had a system built the way the video is, I would have to tear it down all the time and pour the dirt out of the tubes.

rblumenthal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Suffolk, NY, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Blu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUF742
I would not do the tubing the way they did it in the video. They have the outer tube on the bottom. You need to put the inner on the bottom. This way the outside tube will keep the dust from "filling up' the gap. Like an umbrella
I've been towing off road trailers for most of my life. The shear amount of dust on them is incredible. If I had a system built the way the video is, I would have to tear it down all the time and pour the dirt out of the tubes.
That was my concern as well when originally looking at this type of configuration. Besides the dust/debris, having the 'smaller' tube on the inside isnt an issue when it comes to weight right? This is all new to me, but I have a CVT Denali which is heavy, plus awning, etc. Appreciate the info though, def helpful

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wont matter, weight is weight as long as everything is sized properly.