Question on Differential Lockers

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I have a question, my 2000 GMC 1\2 ton Z71 has a limited slip diff, last year I had the gear ratio changed in front & rear to 3:73's which I'm happy with. My wife Sally & I got hooked & liking backcountry adventure routes when we ran the Arkansas, Mississippi, Trans America Trail some years back, were are planning our possible next adventure pulling our offroad trailer camper in Oklahoma, 1st running the Sugar Creek Loop which is a 121 miles of back country route contains a little bit of everything, hill climbs, water crossings, sandy sections & the infamous Purgatory Road a mile stretch of gnarly, sandy road with towering red & white cliffs, steep step downs, red rocks, & soft sand then we are planning on G.O.A.T. Green County Overland Adventure Trail in Oklahoma that is 485 miles public paved & dirt roads through a variety of terrain including loose gravel, large rocks, mud, steep hills, & over 50 water crossings.
My question is "differential lockers (rear) I've been pondering on these for several months off & on, is their a positive attribute having them, are they worth the cost?" In the past I've done the old school method of applying my parking brake slightly if I need extra traction in a difficult area. I've been look @ the OX Lockers with the manual shift lever. If I look it the lockers as a winch how often do I use my winch? very seldom, but when I do, it's nice to have when the time comes. I know the limitations of my truck so I don't push it beyond that. On our offroad adventure I carry quite a bit of recovery gear, traction boards, bridging boards, along with all the winching gear, compressor, 2 hose tire inflation & deflation. I rather have it than not have it when the time comes. I'd appreciate your input on this.
438035279_7344306968951447_4518334561470734036_n.jpg

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
My question is "differential lockers (rear) I've been pondering on these for several months off & on, is their a positive attribute having them, are they worth the cost?"
Signifcantly increased traction in low traction situations is the positive attribute. "worth the cost" depend on many factors from your income to what trails you run.

If I look it the lockers as a winch how often do I use my winch? very seldom, but when I do, it's nice to have when the time comes
A full time locker will be used every time you drive. Now whether you need it or not, depends upon what trails you choose to drive.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sir,

Nice clean machine.

If you open the glove compartment and check your RPO codes, there is a very good chance you have one listed as 'G80'. This is the Eaton auto-locker, your 'limited slip'. Mine is a G80 with 3:42.

The G80 is all ove ever known. Never had selectable locker (s), but I've done ok with it

If you still have it, then with all the equipment you list, I imagine you'd be fine.

I do not know enough about it to know whether yours was deleted with your regearing. Was it?

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

the wife & I do moderate rated trails, secondary forest roads & offshoots, & a lot of Trans America Trail type routes. The truck is basically stock with front & rear gears changed to 3:73's , performance built trans, 5.3L is basically stock with a few bolt on's intake & headers, 2" lift suspension with airbags with offroad cradles, the airbags leave the cradle when the axle is in full articulation. Like I mention above I carry quite a bit of recovery gear, traction boards, bridging boards, along with all the winching gear, compressor, 2 hose tire inflation & deflation device. Cost ain't my worry, I'm trying to get some feed back on what others like or dislike about rear differential lockers. My last 1990 GMC I had possi trac install in the rear & had the front & rear gearing changed to 4:10. Like I mention I ain't worried about the cost or how often I'll be using the lockers, what I'm wanting is the input have they been a asset to those who have them, were they worth the purchase.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Sir,

Nice clean machine.

If you open the glove compartment and check your RPO codes, there is a very good chance you have one listed as 'G80'. This is the Eaton auto-locker, your 'limited slip'. Mine is a G80 with 3:42.

The G80 is all ove ever known. Never had selectable locker (s), but I've done ok with it

If you still have it, then with all the equipment you list, I imagine you'd be fine.

I do not know enough about it to know whether yours was deleted with your regearing. Was it?
Thanks it is clean truck, yes it still has the auto locker, I was look for some thing alittle bit more than what I have.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Thanks it is clean truck, yes it still has the auto locker, I was look for some thing alittle bit more than what I have.
"my 2000 GMC 1\2 ton Z71 has a limited slip diff"

Limited slip is not an auto locker. You need to check the RPO codes and figure out what you really have.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
A good locker will ensure you use that winch even less.

When I regeared from 3.73,s to 4.56 I installed a Torsen locker in the rear, and an ausie up front.
I truly believe that this truck is more capable in 2wd than many in 4wd because of the Torsen. I chose it over air and electric lockers due to the simplicity. It never drags on tight pavement turns or wears the tires excessively, even on 35 x 12.5 MT's.
I can't recommend it enough.

You can see a short engineering video on it here

Reactions: DintDobbs

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I have 2 Nissan Titans, one has the OEM e-locker, and the other I had an Eaton Tru-Trac added a few years back. Both are excellent off-road, and the Tru-Trac really surprised me off-road being that it is not fully "locked" but responds instantly to differing torque on its helical gears (HLSD) making it quick to prevent one-wheel peel off-road. However, it is a handful in the rain, because it is quick to respond and can make the truck wag it's tail very easily on a slick road.
Because of that, I prefer the e-locker in my other Titan. However, that truck must be in 4LO for the e-locker to engage, the Tru-Trac has the advantage of working just fine in 2WD, and in fact, I rarely need 4x4 in that truck because of it.
The e-locker is nicer on-road because it is fully disengaged.

My understanding of the G80 is that it acts as an open diff for a short time before finally locking up. Nice for the road and OK for off-roading, but not everyone likes that moment that the G80 is waiting to engage when off-roading.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's a half ton GM. I ain't locking that up.

Stick with the G80. Add a Truetrac up front, if available. Be very very careful.

I'd concentrate on MT's, tire chains, truck claws, instead.

If lockers front and rear are a must have item, I'd trade it for a Ford Superduty. 05+ gasoline.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The G80 is an Eaton automatic limited slip. When it detects a difference of 120 rpm the "dog legs" engage. Now you have a clutch type limited slip. Otherwise you have all the benefits of an open diff.
Other names for this are MLocker and Governor lock. I believe they started using the G80 designation in the mid 70's. I've had a handful of these apart. They tend to hold up well as long as you don't push the limits of the the axle size itself.
For the type of driving the OP does, if it were mine, I would either leave it be or go to a selectable locker. Preferable electric selectable.