South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
And others that stay out for extended periods like @Road. How much/many clothes rotations do you usually plan for and how do you deal with washing? I tend to pack too much and need to have some sort of plan for the changes in weather/elevation, etc., for an extended tour. I don't mind wearing clothes for days on end. Especially since I will be fairly remote. I do have a lot of quick drying microfiber clothes that are much easier to pack and wash. Easier than cotton jeans at least. Thinking in multiple layers I am guessing 3-4 complete changes?? That should go for a month, right? JKNR. What's the best way to wash remotely? BTW, I have already been using the Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash and it's great! I'm not sure but I think I can pack a five gallon bucket and lid for multi-purpose uses including washing when clean water is readily available. Need ya'll's ideas and experience on this. TIA.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
About a weeks worth of everything, but I assume I am going to get wet, dusty or muddy at some point. I find after 4 or so days you need a short day and rest, it is a good time to clean everything. The other thing to consider if you need to stop for fuel at 4 or 5 days using a coin laundry if there is one available.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I am trying to avoid laundromats as much as possible. I haven't been to one in over forty years and hope to not break that streak but I'll do what I have to:worried:. I'd rather wash in a bucket! I guess if I change underwear every week or two...they're overrated anyway. Need to look for a substitute for cotton but everything I have tried besides cotton underwear doesn't work too well for me. I haven't tried silk yet. That would pack small. And, make me feel pretty! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot and Road

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I am trying to avoid laundromats as much as possible. I haven't been to one in over forty years and hope to not break that streak but I'll do what I have to:worried:. I'd rather wash in a bucket! I guess if I change underwear every week or two...they're overrated anyway. Need to look for a substitute for cotton but everything I have tried besides cotton underwear doesn't work too well for me. I haven't tried silk yet. That would pack small. And, make me feel pretty! LOL
Well, how you plan on or want to wash your clothes is entirely up to you. We pack a week's worth of clothes as that provides a decent number of outfits without taking up a lot of space. For us, that's a week's worth for 3 people. For one person that could be 3 weeks of clothes. All just depends on your storage space and needs/wants.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i take a lot of white t-shirts. if its hot, i just wear those and they are fairly easy to wash and hang about anywhere to dry. if its colder...wear the t-shirt and layer another shirt, like a flannel shirt over that and the t-shirt takes the hit and the flannel shirt can be worn multiple times since its not dirty from contacting your sweaty skin. pants last a long time for the most part and i wear them multiple times. socks and undies i change out daily and carry 10-12 pair of each

the wife and i generally can go about a week to 10 days easily and by then we hit a laundry mat or we have a collapsible silicon bucket we use to wash some clothes in and then hang to dry at camp.

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

My remote trips nowadays are around 20+ days at a time. I take around 20 days’ t-shirts, shorts, socks and boxers for these. I also have 2 jackets (1 for around the fire the other for during the day if needed) and two pairs of trousers (not exactly freezing here though).
I plan washing to coincide with refueling / restocking so this is usually at more established campsites. I hand wash clothes in basins with 2-in-1 detergent and softener and hang out to dry on a makeshift washing line. Otherwise a laundromat or in more rural areas there are usually informal washing services. I try not to wash in remote areas because of water usage and detergents (contaminants) but if i have to, a bucket will suffice.
When my wife is with, there are probably a 100 pairs of everything extra :D in all seriousness though her stuff packs a lot smaller.
We’re planning to go on the road fulltime so not sure what the numbers will be but probably the same, just with more winter clothes in the mix.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Whether we are traveling for a few days or several months, I always take about 3 to 5 t-shirts, 3 to 5 underpants, a long fleece underpants, 2 pairs of warm socks, 2 pairs of thin socks, a pair of sturdy shorts and a pair of sturdy long trousers, two thin fleece pullover, a shirt, a warm fleece jacket and a (warm) jacket and / or windstopper jacket, a rain jacket, a baseball cap, a warm hat, a hat. I can combine a lot of these clothes and put them on top of each other when it's colder.
In addition, depending on the season and destination warm gloves, etc. I may have forgotten something, because I don't think much about clothing.

Especially when I travel longer, I have anyway very quickly my favorite clothes wrt trousers, shirts, which I then almost always wear and wash regularly. Laundry is depending on the destination in the laundromat, own hand wash or in some countries also simply hand over for washing in a hostel (this way, especially in poorer countries, people can still earn a little money and I don't have to spend my time doing laundry.).

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

And others that stay out for extended periods like @Road. How much/many clothes rotations do you usually plan for and how do you deal with washing? What's the best way to wash remotely? Need ya'll's ideas and experience on this. TIA.
Great question; I love topics on extended adventures, especially when about trips lasting several months. So I'm gonna fill up a post for ya, with what's worked for me over the years. It usually acts a first draft for future articles or blog posts.

I still pack more wardrobe than I need or always use, mostly because I know I may be out long enough to experience drastically different environments before I ever get back to a home-base anywhere. For a few years, because so many family elders were close to dying, I even kept a dark suit in the van for flying somewhere on short notice.

I also tend to pack backup clothes in case the stuff I wear daily gets ruined, goes missing, or wears out; all of which has happened on long adventures. TIP: Don't wear your favorite adventure shirt when crawling under your vehicle for maintenance.:tonguewink:

Now I try to keep all daily clothing other than outerwear limited to what I can pack easily in my Big Haul 60 duffle. I like to use Kit Kubes too (famous with motorcycle adventurers), to help organize and make it easier to grab just what I need without pulling everything out into a mess. Kit Kubes are also handy for storing other things like cables and batteries, etc. Overland Adventurer Designs, who made these, has recently changed hands so these Kubes are not always easy to find. They've lasted me years without trouble.

KitCube2.jpg

My wardrobe has evolved to primarily multi-purpose pants, shirts, and jackets. Clothes that work well for trail and driving all day, for example, that also look good going out to dinner that night somewhere nice without changing. Clothes that layer well, too, so the same shirt or pair of pants that are comfortable in desert heat can be easily used with a base layer when in the mountains.

military.png
(click the pic for the whole story on insta)

Sometimes all I wear for days is jeans & boots, t-shirt, and a hoody. Other times I'm dressed more for camp work and adventure and carry more gear in my pockets.

Amount of clothes: When working on the road steady for years without house or apartment, often packing minimally for airports, I kept a three garment rule like many travelers do; 1 to wear, 1 clean & ready, 1 in laundry.

This works for everything from work clothes to casual wear to underwear. I still use this for packing get-home bags or overnight bags for canoe or bike. Though for the main vehicle I still pack more; especially things that get changed more often like socks and underwear.

As you've noted, choice of fabrics and ease of washing becomes important. Other than jeans--which I usually take three pairs of and tend to wear for a week unless really filthy/sweaty--I try to buy only well-made, easy to care for, lightweight-but-rugged clothing. Sometimes more expensive at the start, though last far longer and still look better after years than having to buy more often. Less expensive in the long run.

PANTS:

- I don't like and quit wearing the convertible shorts/pants that zip off at the knee. In fact, I don't often wear shorts at all when camping or back country.
- I've leaned heavily towards Helikon-Tex pants for years as best all-around and easiest to care for adventure pants. I have both their Outdoor Tactical and Urban Tactical pants, though like the Outdoor Tactical pants (in image above) a bit better. The two lines are made of different fabric; polycotton ripstop for the Urban and VersaStretch for the Outdoor.

Like so many outdoor products, they've gone up in price because the pandemic upset supply chains and labor forces, and anything outdoor recreation related is seeing historic interest.

These pants are SO well thought out and very well made, with reinforced pocket edges where I'm likely to clip lights and knives, inner sleeves to help keep pocket contents organized, and several other smartly designed features, all in a cool breathable fabric. Very comfortable for all day/all night use, they're meant more for shooting (and even have sleeves for knee pads), though work perfectly for my style of adventuring.

I'm going to do a blog post on just these pants sometime, I like them so much.

Here's their promo vid outlining the Outdoor Tactical features:

I also have some very lightweight Exofficio Vent'r pants, which have a vent up each inner leg:

exofficio-ventr-pants.png
Huge benefit when desert hiking or in wicked humid environs like the swamp, though the pair I have need to be re-hemmed. They are nowhere near as functional in storage as the Helikon-Tex.

SHIRTS:

I've used primarily ExOfficio t-shirts and button ups, both long and short-sleeved. Though, like too many other products I favor, they quit making the t-shirt line I liked the most, the Exo-Dri, and I've been casting about for a replacement. They are lightweight, breathe well, are made just right, necks don't stretch over time, are "Odor Resistant Dri-Release" and last just about forever; I am still wearing some I bought in 2010. I've messed up too many of them with paint and grease, etc.

I really like the ExOfficio Minimo button shirts, though have some of their Sol Cool and Halstett shirts (in camp image above) as well. The Minimo shirts are perfect for intense desert days or layering in cooler weather, in that they are so lightweight, moisture-wicking, vented across the back with an inner mesh, and can be worn long sleeved in the heat.

There's a reason you always see landscapers wearing long sleeve buttoned up shirts when working in the sun, and these shirts are perfect for that. It's like wearing a well vented tent with a constant breeze. Keeps your skin cooler and you more comfortable than if wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt. Ever feel the heat that radiates from someone who's worn short sleeves or a tank-top all day?

Also really nice were the North Face Syncline shirts; amazing fabric, very long-lasting, good looking and come out of the wash or a duffle looking great. Also no longer available except in extreme sizes, if at all.

Underwear I like is also from ExOfficio; the most comfortable for any activity and easiest to care for I've ever worn. They last a very long time. Socks I typically go for over-the-calf because I were a lot of tall western boots.

** A lot of the ExOfficio clothing has either BugsAway and/or anti-microbial treatment, greatly expanding their usefulness for adventuring. I've been around others when camping who are getting bothered by bugs when I'm not, and often forget my clothing and choice of soap makes a difference.

One of my all-around favorite shirts is a simple long-sleeved cotton Dickies button-down work shirt. Had it for years, worn it all over America, beat the hell out of it, and I'd still wear it out to dinner. It's in the image below with the Akubra hat.

HATS:

Don't forget hats when planning for an extended adventure. Though I wear a ball cap a lot, I have a few wide-brimmed hats for sun and rain.

Out alone in the willy-wacks, I've learned I don't like wearing hoods on jackets or sweatshirts, as I can't hear what's going on around me as well as I can with a hat. The brim on a good hat actually reflects the sound to your ear, if you think about it. Go out and sit in desert darkness alone and try it.

One of my favorites for intense sun and heat is my SunBody Palm River Cattleman...4" brim, inexpensive and light, easy to soak and shape, and easy to give a good soaking before going out walking. Like wearing an AC on your head when it's had a good soak. Looks goofy to others when east of the Pecos, for but southwestern deserts it's perfect.

190505_4407-800.jpeg
Sunbody Palm River Cattleman's Hat and ExOfficio Minimo shirt.

I walked into a remote small town hardware store out west to buy a long-handled shovel, wearing this hat and a clean sparkling white long-sleeved t-shirt. I walked up to the register holding the shovel round point up. The owner looked up from behind the counter, grinned, and said "You look like a lost Amish farmer!"

"Kind of an American Desert Gothic look with this shovel," I admitted.

I love my Akubra hats, too. Great, rugged, Australian-made, very comfortable and long-lasting. Wear a good hat like the one below and raingear with a stand-up collar, and you can work in a storm quite comfortably without rain running down your back. Better than hooded rain gear any day.

akubra-road_6729-800.jpeg
Akubra Snowy River hat, Dickies work shirt, Columbia (I think) vest with ton 'o pockets.

amzn used to carry several Akubra, though don't now. Here's a list, though, of Akubra Dealers in North America

Washing Clothes On the Road & Dealing With Grey Water:

All of the above clothes are easy to wash on the road. I like the Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash, too, and keep the larger size of it and their Citronella Wilderness Wash to refill smaller bottles of it for various packs. I like the Citronella Wash for both body and clothing if bugs are out. Smells nice, not overly strong, and does make a difference in being less appealing to bugs, if only for a day or two.

Dawn dish soap does well in camp, too, though a little dab'll do ya. Cuts grease like a pro. It's why it's often used to clean shore birds caught in oil pills. No idea, though, how good or bad it might be for the environment.

*** Be aware that even though a soap says biodegradable, it's still not great to throw the waste water just anywhere. It can still affect the balance in streams, rivers, and ponds.

I use as little water and soap as possible, starting with the cleanest of my dirty clothes and working to the dirtiest in my wash water. I keep a mini-plastic washboard for washing clothes in camp. Wring every bit of soap you can out of just-scrubbed clothes back into the tub and start a pile. When you've got it all washed, do the same with fresh rinse water. Washing and rinsing each piece before doing another often fouls your rinse water more.

With both dishes and laundry, I consider it a challenge to see how clean I can keep my waste water. I rarely heat water for washing anything, though using my on-demand propane water heater for the occasional shower or washing dishes when it's cold out can be nice.

An interesting fact about using water from ponds, lakes, and streams/rivers to wash things is that if you're worried about Giardia, letting your dishes and clothes dry completely before using, kills it. So, you do not always have to use your stored fresh water for washing dishes and clothing.

In places that don't forbid getting rid of grey water, I'll often dig a small sump pit way away from streams (100 paces is a good measure) and line it with stones, gravel, and sand, from bottom up, and dump my gray water there, especially when base camping for a bit. In places that state in their literature or signage that they discourage dumping grey water on plants etc, I'll add it to a 5gal jerry and dump it next time I pass a bathhouse, suitable outhouse, or RV dump.

Sometimes I spread my rinse water around camp on various plants. This is a Leatherstem plant at the edge of a camp where I stayed several weeks, that thrived and bloomed before others from regular doses of my rinse water.

leatherstem_2462-800.jpeg
Leatherstem Blossom - the tiny bells on these blossoms are only .025" wide. Also called Sangro de Drago (Devil's Blood) as it's yellow sap turns deep red when exposed to air. It was/is often used by Native Americans as a toothbrush by chewing the stem and using the frayed end, and as treatment for sore gums.

Here's more about grey water: Grey Water Etiquette - To Dump or to Hold

I wash my clothes and bedding quite often while in camp. Having a sink and counter on my trailer helps, though I'll use just the tub from the sink, too, on the tailgate, inside the back doors to my van, or just on the ground. It's just an inexpensive 12"x14"x6" plastic dishpan, 2.5-3 gal I think, typically available at the grocery for a few bucks. I get a new one every year or so for my camp kitchen, and use the older one for other camp chores. Easy to store and nest together, too:

plastic-dishtub.jpg

I usually wash and rinse in one of these, then hang everything to dry. I've used a 5gal bucket too, sometimes just for rinse after using the tub for washing. Some days my trailer looks like a refugee camp with clothes drying all over the place.

If staying at a motel on the odd night, I'll take the opportunity to wash clothes then as well, just using the bathroom sink. A lot of outdoor rec areas like national parks have commercial facilities in nearby towns that provide both shower and laundry, or I'll save things like dirty jeans and heavier items for runs into town and just make it a market & laundry afternoon and grab a good meal somewhere, chat up the locals, then head back to camp.

If needing just-washed items quicker, or just doing socks/underwear for example, whether in camp or motel; rinse and wring them out well, then roll them up tight in a clean towel and walk on it. Stomping, I've seen it called. That'll draw out most of the moisture and they will air dry much quicker. The clothes I've outlined above all dry quite fast that way.

Some of this is outlined in an older blog post of mine, Staying Clean On the Road, which needs updating on both products I prefer and adding wash methods, etc.

Perhaps this post will get me closer to doing that :blush:.

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks Road. A lot to ponder. And, I will. Some I already knew. Some is new. Great info. Your experience, once again, is invaluable!

My biggest problem is space. You got me looking at vans now! Just need to sell my boat.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
For the last "big trip" having improved our efficiency over the previous ones:
  • two pairs of underwear each
  • two pairs of socks each
  • two fast-dry T-shirts each
  • two fast-dry shirts each
  • two fast-dry long pants each
  • one fast-dry pair of shorts (me)
  • one "technical" sweater each
  • one "tri-climate" jacket each (inner layer for warmth, outer shell for rain, put them together when necessary)
  • one hat each.
  • one light scarf
We wash the underwear every day, the T-shirts every 2-3 days (more often if hot climate or necessary), and the shirts/pants every week on average - they're dry by the morning (or if in cold climate, by the end of the following day).

This worked for us over a ten month trip with temperatures up to high 30s C and down to near zero C.

When we're in colder climates (down to minus 15 C or so) we add silk underwear and gloves.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
For the last "big trip" having improved our efficiency over the previous ones:
  • two pairs of underwear each
  • two pairs of socks each
  • two fast-dry T-shirts each
  • two fast-dry shirts each
  • two fast-dry long pants each
  • one fast-dry pair of shorts (me)
  • one "technical" sweater each
  • one "tri-climate" jacket each (inner layer for warmth, outer shell for rain, put them together when necessary)
  • one hat each.
  • one light scarf
We wash the underwear every day, the T-shirts every 2-3 days (more often if hot climate or necessary), and the shirts/pants every week on average - they're dry by the morning (or if in cold climate, by the end of the following day).

This worked for us over a ten month trip with temperatures up to high 30s C and down to near zero C.

When we're in colder climates (down to minus 15 C or so) we add silk underwear and gloves.
Wow, that is efficient! I already have various weight pants, shirts, and under layers from my fishing escapades. Some good technical sweaters and jackets for altitude and rain. Just ordered some bamboo and spandex drawers because cotton doesn't cut it in the field. These bamboo fiber underwear are supposed to be fast air drying and very comfortable. I use a couple of fast drying ventilated boonie type hats I use for fishing/sun and are easy to stick in a pocket and some microfiber watch caps for cold. I go almost exclusively merino wool for socks in the field. So, extra socks and underwear, four pants, six shirts, should keep me going for maybe two weeks because slightly dirty is not a huge deal to me as long as my body is somewhat clean before going to bed. Eh, I know I will pack some extra clothes for going to town. It's good hearing what ya'll are doing on the road. Thanks for the input.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Great question; I love topics on extended adventures, especially when about trips lasting several months. So I'm gonna fill up a post for ya, with what's worked for me over the years. It usually acts a first draft for future articles or blog posts.

I still pack more wardrobe than I need or always use, mostly because I know I may be out long enough to experience drastically different environments before I ever get back to a home-base anywhere. For a few years, because so many family elders were close to dying, I even kept a dark suit in the van for flying somewhere on short notice.

I also tend to pack backup clothes in case the stuff I wear daily gets ruined, goes missing, or wears out; all of which has happened on long adventures. TIP: Don't wear your favorite adventure shirt when crawling under your vehicle for maintenance.:tonguewink:

Now I try to keep all daily clothing other than outerwear limited to what I can pack easily in my Big Haul 60 duffle. I like to use Kit Kubes too (famous with motorcycle adventurers), to help organize and make it easier to grab just what I need without pulling everything out into a mess. Kit Kubes are also handy for storing other things like cables and batteries, etc. Overland Adventurer Designs, who made these, has recently changed hands so these Kubes are not always easy to find. They've lasted me years without trouble.

View attachment 201027

My wardrobe has evolved to primarily multi-purpose pants, shirts, and jackets. Clothes that work well for trail and driving all day, for example, that also look good going out to dinner that night somewhere nice without changing. Clothes that layer well, too, so the same shirt or pair of pants that are comfortable in desert heat can be easily used with a base layer when in the mountains.

View attachment 201026

Sometimes all I wear for days is jeans & boots, t-shirt, and a hoody. Other times I'm dressed more for camp work and adventure and carry more gear in my pockets.

Amount of clothes: When working on the road steady for years without house or apartment, often packing minimally for airports, I kept a three garment rule like many travelers do; 1 to wear, 1 clean & ready, 1 in laundry.

This works for everything from work clothes to casual wear to underwear. I still use this for packing get-home bags or overnight bags for canoe or bike. Though for the main vehicle I still pack more; especially things that get changed more often like socks and underwear.

As you've noted, choice of fabrics and ease of washing becomes important. Other than jeans--which I usually take three pairs of and tend to wear for a week unless really filthy/sweaty--I try to buy only well-made, easy to care for, lightweight-but-rugged clothing. Sometimes more expensive at the start, though last far longer and still look better after years than having to buy more often. Less expensive in the long run.

PANTS:

- I don't like and quit wearing the convertible shorts/pants that zip off at the knee. In fact, I don't often wear shorts at all when camping or back country.
- I've leaned heavily towards Helikon-Tex pants for years as best all-around and easiest to care for adventure pants. I have both their Outdoor Tactical and Urban Tactical pants, though like the Outdoor Tactical pants (in image above) a bit better. The two lines are made of different fabric; polycotton ripstop for the Urban and VersaStretch for the Outdoor.

Like so many outdoor products, they've gone up in price because the pandemic upset supply chains and labor forces, and anything outdoor recreation related is seeing historic interest.

These pants are SO well thought out and very well made, with reinforced pocket edges where I'm likely to clip lights and knives, inner sleeves to help keep pocket contents organized, and several other smartly designed features, all in a cool breathable fabric. Very comfortable for all day/all night use, they're meant more for shooting (and even have sleeves for knee pads), though work perfectly for my style of adventuring.

I'm going to do a blog post on just these pants sometime, I like them so much.

Here's their promo vid outlining the Outdoor Tactical features:

I also have some very lightweight Exofficio Vent'r pants, which have a vent up each inner leg:

View attachment 201029
Huge benefit when desert hiking or in wicked humid environs like the swamp, though the pair I have need to be re-hemmed. They are nowhere near as functional in storage as the Helikon-Tex.

SHIRTS:

I've used primarily ExOfficio t-shirts and button ups, both long and short-sleeved. Though, like too many other products I favor, they quit making the t-shirt line I liked the most, the Exo-Dri, and I've been casting about for a replacement. They are lightweight, breath well, made just right, necks don't stretch over time, are "Odor Resistant Dri-Release" and last just about forever; I am still wearing some I bought in 2010. I've messed up too many of them with paint and grease, etc.

I really like the ExOfficio Minimo button shirts, though have some of their Sol Cool and Halstett shirts (in camp image above) as well. The Minimo shirts are perfect for intense desert days or layering in cooler weather, in that they are so lightweight, moisture-wicking, vented across the back with an inner mesh, and can be worn long sleeved in the heat.

There's a reason you always see landscapers wearing long sleeve buttoned up shirts when working in the sun, and these shirts are perfect for that. It's like wearing a well vented tent with a constant breeze. Keeps your skin cooler and you more comfortable than if wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt. Ever feel the heat that radiates from someone who's worn short sleeves or a tank-top all day?

Also really nice were the North Face Syncline shirts; amazing fabric, very long-lasting, good looking and come out of the wash or a duffle looking great. Also no longer available except in extreme sizes, if at all.

Underwear I like is also from ExOfficio; the most comfortable for any activity and easiest to care for I've ever worn. They last a very long time. Socks I typically go for over-the-calf because I were a lot of tall western boots.

** A lot of the ExOfficio clothing has either BugsAway and/or anti-microbial treatment, greatly expanding their usefulness for adventuring. I've been around others when camping who are getting bothered by bugs when I'm not, and often forget my clothing and choice of soap makes a difference.

One of my all-around favorite shirts is a simple long-sleeved cotton Dickies button-down work shirt. Had it for years, worn it all over America, beat the hell out of it, and I'd still wear it out to dinner. It's in the image below with the Akubra hat.

HATS:

Don't forget hats when planning for an extended adventure. Though I wear a ball cap a lot, I have a few wide-brimmed hats for sun and rain.

Out alone in the willy-wacks, I've learned I don't like wearing hoods on jackets or sweatshirts, as I can't hear what's going on around me as well as I can with a hat. The brim on a good hat actually reflects the sound to your ear, if you think about it. Go out and sit in desert darkness alone and try it.

One of my favorites for intense sun and heat is my SunBody Palm River Cattleman...4" brim, inexpensive and light, easy to soak and shape, and easy to give a good soaking before going out walking. Like wearing an AC on your head when it's had a good soak. Looks goofy to others when east of the Pecos, for but southwestern deserts it's perfect.

View attachment 201031
Sunbody Palm River Cattleman's Hat and ExOfficio Minimo shirt.

I walked into a remote small town hardware store out west, wearing this hat and a white long-sleeved t-shirt, to buy a shovel. I walked up to the register holding the shovel round point up. The owner looked up, grinned, and said "You look like a lost Amish farmer!"

"Kind of an American Desert Gothic look with this shovel," I admitted.

I love my Akubra hats, too. Great, rugged, Australian-made, very comfortable and long-lasting. A good hat like the one below and raingear with a stand-up collar and you can work in a storm quite comfortably without rain running down your back. Better than hooded rain gear any day.

View attachment 201036
Akubra Snowy River hat, Dickies work shirt, Columbia vest with ton 'o pockets.

amzn used to carry several Akubra, though don't now. Here's a list, though, of Akubra Dealers in North America

Washing Clothes On the Road, Dealing With Grey Water:

All of the above clothes are easy to wash on the road. I like the Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash, too, and keep the larger size of it and their Citronella Wilderness Wash to refill smaller bottles of it for various packs. I like the Citronella Wash for both body and clothing if bugs are out. Nice, not overly strong, and does make a difference in being less attractive to bugs, if only for a day or two.

Dawn dish soap does well in camp, too, though a little dab'll do ya.

*** Be aware, though, that even though a soap says biodegradable, it's still not great to throw the waste water just anywhere. It can still affect the balance in streams, rivers, and ponds.

I use as little water and soap as possible, starting with the cleanest of my dirty clothes and working to the dirtiest in my wash water. Wring every bit of soap you can out of it back into the tub and start a pile. When you've got it all washed, do the same with fresh rinse water. With both dishes and laundry, I consider it a challenge to see how clean I can keep my waste water.

In places that don't forbid getting rid of grey water, I'll often dig a small pit way away from streams and line it with stones, gravel, and sand, from bottom up, and dump my gray water there, especially when base camping for a bit. In places that state in their literature or signage that they discourage dumping grey water on plants etc, I'll add it to a 5gal jerry and dump it next time I'm at a bathhouse, toilet, or RV dump.

Sometimes I spread my rinse water around camp on various plants. This is a Leatherstem plant at the edge of a camp where I stayed several weeks, that thrived and bloomed before others from regular doses of my rinse water.

View attachment 201043
Leatherstem Blossom - the bells on these blossoms are only .025" wide. Also called Sangro de Drago (Devil's Blood) as it's yellow sap turns deep red when exposed to air. It was/is often used by Native Americans as a toothbrush by chewing the stem and using the frayed end, and as treatment for sore gums.

Here's more about grey water: Grey Water Etiquette - To Dump or to Hold

I wash my clothes and bedding quite often while in camp. Having a sink and counter on my trailer helps, though I'll use just the tub from the sink, too, on the tailgate or inside the back doors to my van. It's just an inexpensive 12"x14"x6" plastic dishpan, 2.5-3 gal I think, typically available at the grocery for a few bucks. I get a new one every year or so for the kitchen, and use the older one for other camp chores. Easy to store and nest together, too:

View attachment 201028

I usually wash and rinse in one of these, then hang everything to dry. I've used a 5gal bucket too, sometimes just for rinse after using the tub for washing. Some days my trailer looks like a refugee camp with clothes drying all over the place.

If staying at a motel on the odd night, I'll take the opportunity to wash clothes then as well, just using the bathroom sink. A lot of outdoor rec areas like national parks have commercial facilities in nearby towns that provide both shower and laundry, or I'll save things like dirty jeans and heavier items for runs into town and just make it a market & laundry afternoon and grab a good meal somewhere, chat up the locals, then head back to camp.

If needing just-washed items quicker, or just doing socks/underwear for example, whether in camp or motel; rinse and wring them out well, then roll them up tight in a clean towel and walk on it. Stomping, I've seen it called. That'll draw out most of the moisture and they will air dry much quicker. The clothes I've outlined above all dry quite fast that way.

Some of this is outlined in an older blog post of mine, Staying Clean On the Road, which needs updating on both products I prefer and adding wash methods, etc.

Perhaps this post will get me closer to doing that :blush:.

That's a killer hat!

Reactions: Road

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Wow, that is efficient! I already have various weight pants, shirts, and under layers from my fishing escapades. Some good technical sweaters and jackets for altitude and rain. Just ordered some bamboo and spandex drawers because cotton doesn't cut it in the field. These bamboo fiber underwear are supposed to be fast air drying and very comfortable. I use a couple of fast drying ventilated boonie type hats I use for fishing/sun and are easy to stick in a pocket and some microfiber watch caps for cold. I go almost exclusively merino wool for socks in the field. So, extra socks and underwear, four pants, six shirts, should keep me going for maybe two weeks because slightly dirty is not a huge deal to me as long as my body is somewhat clean before going to bed. Eh, I know I will pack some extra clothes for going to town. It's good hearing what ya'll are doing on the road. Thanks for the input.
Thanks. Good point re socks - Icebreakers are the answer - good in all temperatures!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks Road. A lot to ponder. And, I will. Some I already knew. Some is new. Great info. Your experience, once again, is invaluable!

My biggest problem is space. You got me looking at vans now! Just need to sell my boat.
You're welcome. Yeah, I get carried away writing about stuff I like to experiment with when camping. I actually edited it and added info about using water from lakes and rivers, etc and added another link or two.

IF you do go for a van, you might want to consider some of the taller ones. I'm only 3'8" tall, so my Savana does fine. . . no, I'm about 5'6" tho shorter than you, I bet.

The Ford Transit and Dodge Ram ProMaster vans are both nice, though unless you like paying for maintenance and expensive repairs, I'd shy away from the Sprinters. Reading through posts on places like Expediters Online--folks who use vans for expediting cargo around North America--can provide a lot of insight into current van models.

You can do a lot without a van, too; I've used station wagons and a couple pickups with caps. Though for carrying extra gear for fishing, photography, and multiple seasons, and still have a comfortable place to sleep, I sure love vans.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
You're welcome. Yeah, I get carried away writing about stuff I like to experiment with when camping. I actually edited it and added info about using water from lakes and rivers, etc and added another link or two.

IF you do go for a van, you might want to consider some of the taller ones. I'm only 3'8" tall, so my Savana does fine. . . no, I'm about 5'6" tho shorter than you, I bet.

The Ford Transit and Dodge Ram ProMaster vans are both nice, though unless you like paying for maintenance and expensive repairs, I'd shy away from the Sprinters. Reading through posts on places like Expediters Online--folks who use vans for expediting cargo around North America--can provide a lot of insight into current van models.

You can do a lot without a van, too; I've used station wagons and a couple pickups with caps. Though for carrying extra gear for fishing, photography, and multiple seasons, and still have a comfortable place to sleep, I sure love vans.
Yes, I see the Dodge is a little wider and that has some appeal since I liked your idea of putting the bed across the front (I'm 5'9") to have more storage in the rear. I don't think I need all the kitchen sink and shower/bathroom stuff...some sort of composting toilet for sure. (I just got the coconut husks for the one I have). And, some counter space and decent overhead storage. Those Sprinter 4X4s with diesel sure are sweet! 20,000 mile maintenance interval at about $800/ is a little strong! Playing online I outfitted one for about 57K. They make them right down the road from here. I need the Homeboy Special! Resale on those Sprinters is also strong right now. There's deals around I guess. But, I'm going to run what I have this year and see how it goes. About to put a good roof rack on so that will give me plenty of space for recovery gear and maybe another spare tire and other gear. Then figure out how to carry some more fuel and water. Could add some of those flat/flexible solar panels to the top of the RTT hardtop for just the price of the panels since I already have a 1000 Ah battery with controller. Yep, just send guns lawyers and money!

You get carried away all you like. I, and a lot of other people, like to hear from the experimenters.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yes, I see the Dodge is a little wider and that has some appeal since I liked your idea of putting the bed across the front (I'm 5'9") to have more storage in the rear. I don't think I need all the kitchen sink and shower/bathroom stuff...some sort of composting toilet for sure. (I just got the coconut husks for the one I have). And, some counter space and decent overhead storage. Those Sprinter 4X4s with diesel sure are sweet! 20,000 mile maintenance interval at about $800/ is a little strong! Playing online I outfitted one for about 57K. They make them right down the road from here. I need the Homeboy Special! Resale on those Sprinters is also strong right now. There's deals around I guess. But, I'm going to run what I have this year and see how it goes. About to put a good roof rack on so that will give me plenty of space for recovery gear and maybe another spare tire and other gear. Then figure out how to carry some more fuel and water. Could add some of those flat/flexible solar panels to the top of the RTT hardtop for just the price of the panels since I already have a 1000 Ah battery with controller. Yep, just send guns lawyers and money!

You get carried away all you like. I, and a lot of other people, like to hear from the experimenters.
First off, I have a line on brand new high-quality 200w panels, flexible and flat, with Sunpower Maxeon cells (highest rated and most efficient cells on the market and what I use in my two 120w folding panels) for way under retail. I'm pondering putting together a group buy (12-20 brings the cost down) and either delivering them in person to friends/buyers (they're flat, so I can put a lot in my van without encumbering other use of my van too much) or providing shipping lower 48 for an add'l cost. I'd like to get a couple for myself, and may contrive a mounting that will allow me to keep on the roof when underway and move about camp when needed. I've made over 100' of 10AWG solar extension for my panels.

Secondly - I don't remember off the top of my head if it's the Dodge, tho I think it is, that is front wheel drive, so it has a lower floor front to back because it does not have to go over the rear pumpkin. THAT can make a lot of difference in interior arrangements and floorplan and still retain headroom.

Third - the Mercedes Sprinters are known to have a lockdown of sorts with reduced engine power and severe limp mode if not maintained on schedule and reset or something, AND are well known for having to replace the whole engine because of a sudden death like syndrome. Has happened to more than one friend in the middle of an adventure or cargo run. I chose not to go that route, so would have to look up the details, but will if you need and can hook you up with a couple I've camped with who it happened to. I will not get one myself, if I had the pesos, but they are sweet.

One day we'll meet up and talk van interiors.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That's a killer hat!
I'm guessing you mean the Sunbody Palm hat? I love that hat. Soak it and shape it and you can crush it and it will return to how you shaped it. Soak it and wear it and you'll be happy in the heat.

Here's their page on shaping: How To Shape Your Sunbody Hat

If you mean the Akubra? I love that hat too and wear it all the time when west. I also have an Akubra Cattleman's too, which I love.