Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

So...this is my future overland trailer. I need to ditch the 6x16" 4 ply BF Goodrich Silvertown agriculture tires, for modern tires.

Problem is, the existing rims are very narrow, so I'll need to get wheels with a high (-) Negative offset in order be able to clear everything. Thinking steel wheels, with a -35mm offset. Bolt pattern appears to be a 5x5 1/2.

Anything I'm missing?

Attachments

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Good looking trailer. Is it a straight axle or can you flip it for more height and not need the offset?

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Good looking trailer. Is it a straight axle or can you flip it for more height and not need the offset?
Hmm...I understand flipping the axle for more height...but the offset is to keep the inside of the tire from hitting the trailer frame. The trailer sits pretty high, but yeah, solid axle.

Is that what you're getting at?

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Could always do spacers too but I could see the offset reasoning. I'll have to cross that bridge at some point too.

4S50

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Stef
5x5 1/2" bolt pattern is all Jeep CJs from 1942-1986 and also older Ford so you should be able to find any wheel you need.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: luchaDor

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Updating my thread. I've been busy with some new house landscaping...

I just ordered (3) Pro Comps Rock Crawler Xtreme Series 51 Black Steel wheels. Got all 3 for $142.00 w/Free Shipping. Pretty no-brainer purchase at that price. I've gone with a -19mm offset that should fit on the trailer nicely.

Needed to get rid of the tractor tires & rims before I could really start even using the trailer.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Updating an old thread, but, I've had to return two sets (6 total rims) do to each one being dropped/damaged during shipping. The blame rests solely on UPS...the place I've purchased them from has been excellent in their customer service.

Pretty frustrated. I might be better just going to the salvage yard and picking up a set of steelies or whatever they have that fits.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Order from summit racing, free shipping and I have never had a problem with items arriving damaged.

or not sure on the back spacing but this pair od 5x5.5 rims is right next door to you.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/wto/d/2-15x8-wheels/6386567707.html
Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I ordered from 4WheelParts and they've been good on the Customer Service side. UPS just keeps dropping the rims and they arrive jacked up.

Sent from my LG-H872 using OB Talk mobile app