Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My local radio club is looking at purchasing the QRP Labs QCX Mini 5w Transciever for 40m CW operations. If we can get 6 more people interested in buying the kit, we can get a small discount on it. The kit goes for $55.00 normally. If 10 people are interested we can get a 10% discount, and if we can get 20+ we can get a 15% discount. Hans, the developer has been super helpful in working with me this far, and I’m offering up the opportunity for savings on to you.
I am wanting to put the order in on the first week of March.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What options would the group purchase be getting? What is lead time?
I will take part in a group purchase but am picky about the options, some guy that I know keeps bugging me to get one of these. ;)

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What options would the group purchase be getting? What is lead time?
I will take part in a group purchase but am picky about the options, some guy that I know keeps bugging me to get one of these. ;)
I will DM you... I think I know what you are referring too as for options... but I want to make sure before saying anything.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@brien can you give some information about the QCX 5w radio? Since the QCX Mini is the same radio just the size of a pack of smokes.

The options @Ubiety is mentioning is the GPS module and the case which are around $30 a piece. But again if we can get 10 each of the optional accessories or more we can also get a discount on the accessories as well.

Be reminded this is a kit. Soldering is required. A Technician License is required to use the radio, and it does not have voice modes. It’s a single band CW (Morse Code) transceiver with the ability to use WSPR beacon mode.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
@brien can you give some information about the QCX 5w radio? Since the QCX Mini is the same radio just the size of a pack of smokes.

The options @Ubiety is mentioning is the GPS module and the case which are around $30 a piece. But again if we can get 10 each of the optional accessories or more we can also get a discount on the accessories as well.

Be reminded this is a kit. Soldering is required. A Technician License is required to use the radio, and it does not have voice modes. It’s a single band CW (Morse Code) transceiver with the ability to use WSPR beacon mode.
I have a QCX plus. Honestly for the cost of the thing you wont find a better radio. Mine as measured puts out 6watts on 40 while consuming half an amp at 12volts. It also has a practice mode and decoder which is extremely nice. One thing to note though, when using WASPR mode this thing gets hot. I am planning on installing a small 12volt fan in my enclosure to help out with this.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don’t think there is room in the mini’s case for a fan. But you weren’t the first one to mention this problem with the QCX + or Mini... a guy that I watched build one used thermal paste and a heat sink for a Raspberry Pi to help with the heat.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I don’t think there is room in the mini’s case for a fan. But you weren’t the first one to mention this problem with the QCX + or Mini... a guy that I watched build one used thermal paste and a heat sink for a Raspberry Pi to help with the heat.
Ras pi? Now I am really interested! When you have the chance video please! thanks!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Yeah the QCX has lots of room in the case, so much that you can actually install the 50W amp in the same case...

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Unfortunately Dave Castler didn’t put the videos into an easy to find playlist. So I will put it together below.

As for the RasPi, only the little heat sink is used, not the Pi itself... although the radio does have cat control so I would assume you could use Jason’s (KM4ACK) Buil-A-Pi script.

• Love

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah the QCX has lots of room in the case, so much that you can actually install the 50W amp in the same case...
That is the big one... the mini is the size of a pack of smokes and fills the case completely.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Yeah I know the difference between the 2 QCX units. I meant my previous comment as an illustration of how much bigger the QCX+ is than the mini. I suppose I could have been clearer on that eh.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
That looks like a cool little kit, I haven't played with QRP or CW stuff too much, but Its been something I've thought about getting into a bit.

i have way too many projects on my plate right now but.... I might still order one though.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
That looks like a cool little kit, I haven't played with QRP or CW stuff too much, but Its been something I've thought about getting into a bit.

i have way too many projects on my plate right now but.... I might still order one though.
Morse code and QRP operating has been one of the most humbling endeavors of my life. Seeing as how you have your extra ticket this wont apply to you, but I don't think QRP is the best way to break into HF. Had I done it differently I would have tried with a bit more power than 6watts. The step from VHF to HF is a big one, and I still find myself struggling honestly.

• Love
Reactions: rho and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Morse code and QRP operating has been one of the most humbling endeavors of my life. Seeing as how you have your extra ticket this wont apply to you, but I don't think QRP is the best way to break into HF. Had I done it differently I would have tried with a bit more power than 6watts. The step from VHF to HF is a big one, and I still find myself struggling honestly.
Great advice. Taken.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Yep! Its the Ultra-hardmode way to start doing HF stuff, lol. I might actually order up one of their other kits and use that for some QRP digital mode stuff... With the GPS addition it could make for a pretty simple/self contained APRS node, but I'd have to look into what would be needed to implement that.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
how are you struggling Dillion? What bands are you trying to run? What modes are you running? I found that by turning my power down and using a beam antenna vs a dipole, I have been getting a lot better results.
Secondly find me a non QRP radio kit for under $75.00 these guys have to justify to their wives to buy a HF rig when they have very limited use of the HF bands. And all of them (the wives) have put a limit of $75 since they were able to get 2m HTs for <$35.00
Lastly QRP for local QSOs is great... I have a guy who jumps on our local net with 1500 watts, and he lives a block away... you know what that does to my receiver?

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I'm bumping this thread up again after a year, but I just ordered a QCX+ kit and enclosure, so that'll be a fun build whenever it gets here. I was planning to pick up a QDX Digital transceiver from them, but they ran out of kits pretty fast on those so here we are.