Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a 5lb Worthington on my roof via an altered Power Tank bracket (BKT-2286) with a Fourtreks mount holding it in place. I went with the Worthington bottle since it’s shorter than the Manchester but that meant I had to customize a bracket since they don’t make one for the small bottle. They do for the Manchester FYI but it was worth it in my mind for clearance purposes. I honestly don’t think $60 for a refillable bottle is that bad. Especially when you consider it will end up saving you money over purchasing green disposables and unlike them will never give you a problem.

On top of being more economical and ‘green’ I love being able to run multiple items off it at the same time. I run heat, light, stove, grill, etc... through the use of Tee’s and hoses. It easily lasts me multiple weekends.

EFB150FA-E70F-4174-A500-37A63C8A078E.jpeg 6C2478D6-EC0D-47BA-A47A-B1A1672E523A.jpeg 15B785B9-34F1-40C4-82C9-AE4F4DEBC3A4.jpeg

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
IMG_20181223_091627.jpg After much thought and griping about price, I went with an 11lbs very tank. Same footprint as the 5 just taller. My main usage is exactly that a Coleman stove and I am happy with the choice. I have found that refills at uhaul will be at the cheaper alternative to fuel pricing with these by default. Alternatively tell the sales person you are using it for heat to get the same discount.

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
What kind of mounts do you guys use? And where are they mounted?
I currently secure it in a bin on the rack but in a month it will be mounted on the side of my new trailer. At that point I will probably either add one or get a taller one due to the on demand water heater.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

So i want to step up to a bigger tank and not have to bring multiple green tanks, im thinking a 5lb just for coleman stove purposes. Not sure if these will even last a weekend so any advice would be great.
How many 1 lb green tanks did you go through in a weekend? If the answer is " more than 5" you probably need a bigger than 5 lb tank. Im considering a 5 lb tank as well. Never gone through more than 2 green tanks in a weekend. That was heavy use. Id rather fill up a 5 lb tank more often than carry a bigger tank. I get propane at the same place i get gas anyway.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I plan on making a mount for the back of my gobi rack or on it and then sewing a cover for the wa weather.
How did you figure you were going to secure the tank to the rear of the GOBI rack? I had this same idea for when I bought my mini propane tank. I think Power Tank sells aluminum tank holders that can somehow be bolted to the frame or ladder of the rack. I guess I would need to see it in person.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

pretty much late spring thru summer we use our 5lb bottle on the adventure trailer for cooking, when late winter early spring we use 20lb bottle for our cooking & running our Proplex H2000 tent furnace & the 5lb bottle on the adventure trailer is back up\spare.

Like some mention the 5lb bottle is costly. I use the AT Overland 5lb propane mount.
37256956_1747395858642614_1314036838960201728_n.jpg

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have the AT Overland 10 pound tank carrier on the back of my camper. I use this tank for our portable firepit or for back-up in case my two other 10 pound tanks empty. The AT Overland bracket is very well made. And no, the boomstick does not come with it ;:

Attachments

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

How did you figure you were going to secure the tank to the rear of the GOBI rack? I had this same idea for when I bought my mini propane tank. I think Power Tank sells aluminum tank holders that can somehow be bolted to the frame or ladder of the rack. I guess I would need to see it in person.
Are you guys thinking the rear/ladder? Or on top somewhere?

Reactions: Eder