Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Tucson, Arizona, United States
First Name
Terri
Last Name
Walters
Member #

Thought I would put it out there to see what folks are doing for budget friendly solar power options. We have discussed it at length and can’t decide because at this point our outings don’t last more than a few days. But we want to step it up a bit. We run with a 2021 rubicon and a recycled Datsun tent (CVT) trailer. Thanks in advance and happy trails friends. 28212 & @SongDogOverland

Reactions: lhoffm4

Countryboy20241

Rank IV

Member II

Taylorsville, IN, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Woodhouse
Member #

Thought I would put it out there to see what folks are doing for budget friendly solar power options. We have discussed it at length and can’t decide because at this point our outings don’t last more than a few days. But we want to step it up a bit. We run with a 2021 rubicon and a recycled Datsun tent (CVT) trailer. Thanks in advance and happy trails friends. 28212 & @SongDogOverland
Bluetti EB150 with a dc to dc charger and some solar panels, it will give you all the power you need.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I just acquired a Bluetti EB70. For a budget friendly entry into solar generators and it ROCKS! Lots of reviews and I can tell you it charges phones, IPad, CPAP, 12v 45L freezer/fridge and my Chinese Diesel Heater with power to spare. I can charge it off the 12V accessory plug in the truck, any accessory solar panel upto 200Watts, or the 200Watt A/C brick. All required cables come with it. I couldn’t build a solar generator for what they cost... witha the features they pack in.

Countryboy20241

Rank IV

Member II

Taylorsville, IN, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Woodhouse
Member #

I just acquired a Bluetti EB70. For a budget friendly entry into solar generators and it ROCKS! Lots of reviews and I can tell you it charges phones, IPad, CPAP, 12v 45L freezer/fridge and my Chinese Diesel Heater with power to spare. I can charge it off the 12V accessory plug in the truck, any accessory solar panel upto 200Watts, or the 200Watt A/C brick. All required cables come with it. I couldn’t build a solar generator for what they cost... witha the features they pack in.
I agree they are awesome

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You said budget and I'm cheap.

120 watt, solar panel with a cheap charge controller and a lead acid group 24 battery in my M-100 trailer. I can desert camp until I'm bored and never run out of power for my gear, including my 55qt fridge. I can go two days with no sun then I need to swap the auxiliary battery out of my vehicle (Base camped). The renology 100 watt panel/controller on my cruiser powers my 30qt fridge. If I base camp my cruiser in the forest, I have a cheap folding 120 watt panel I tie in. The Cruiser runs an odyssey AGM. My teardrop has a 200 watt renology panel/controller and a group 24 lead acid.

I don't run lithium batteries so I don't need expensive controllers and Lithium's don't like the temperatures I camp in. When you choose, look at what you actually need and buy appropriate.

You can find a Renology 100 watt panel/charger on sale for $150 if you shop. The folding ones are more. I think my 120 folding (not renology) was $160. If you already have a battery, you can do a nice solar and charger for under $250 or a cheap set up for around $150. My M-100 trailer ran a good 120 watt panel and a cheap controller for years.
None of them are actually that expensive.