Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
**EDIT** Making this a general post your recovery gear bag post. Feel free to share, and ask questions, tell us what you carry in yours.

Just thought I'd share my recovery gear bag. It's actually and EMS bag from First Tactical that I've repurposed. It's waterproof and highly configurable. They come in two sizes a large and a medium. This is the large. Currently inside I keep the following:

Tow hitch with D ring shackle
Gloves
Trauma kit
4 ratchet straps
Gear tie downs
Full set of extra fuses
Arb deflator
Ammo can with a Viair compressor and 25' hose
Safety triangle
Voodoo 3/4" x 30' recovery rope
Jumper cables

It's got room for some more things randomly as well. Really happy with it and able to carry it around and move all my gear at once easy enough or transfer between vehicles if needed.

The large bag is 199 and the medium is 179

Large Jump Bag | First Tactical

Attachments

Last edited:

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Just thought I'd share my recovery gear bag. It's actually and EMS bag from First Tactical that I've repurposed. It's waterproof and highly configurable. They come in two sizes a large and a medium. This is the large. Currently inside I keep the following:

Tow hitch with D ring shackle
Gloves
Trauma kit
4 ratchet straps
Gear tie downs
Full set of extra fuses
Arb deflator
Ammo can with a Viair compressor and 25' hose
Safety triangle
Voodoo 3/4" x 30' recovery rope
Jumper cables

It's got room for some more things randomly as well. Really happy with it and able to carry it around and move all my gear at once easy enough or transfer between vehicles if needed.

The large bag is 199 and the medium is 179

Large Jump Bag | First Tactical
That’s a great idea! I like it better than my Warn backpack. I could use some extra room.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi!

Good idea! Thanks for sharing! I

I store most of my recovery gear in a box prmantently fitted to the rig. It is accessible form the outside.

Stay safe,
Bjoern

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Hi!

Good idea! Thanks for sharing! I

I store most of my recovery gear in a box prmantently fitted to the rig. It is accessible form the outside.

Stay safe,
Bjoern

Sounds pretty useful! Got any pics? I feel like i should change the title of this thread to Show me your recovery gear bags. I bet theres some interesting setups out there or contents we could all learn from myself heavily included.

Reactions: El-Dracho

RJJK

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dubai - United Arab Emirates
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Jenkins
Sounds pretty useful! Got any pics? I feel like i should change the title of this thread to Show me your recovery gear bags. I bet theres some interesting setups out there or contents we could all learn from myself heavily included.
Great idea. Mine includes:

AOR Snatch Strap
2x soft shackles
Gloves
Warning Triangle
Jump Leads
First Aid Kit
Small basic tool roll
Cable Ties
Bungee Cords
Ratchet Straps

All held in a tool bag which stays in the car all the time

No Pic at the moment but will be sure to update the post later once I get a photo

Reactions: Maverick9110E

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

My kit is spread across a few different containers/locations.
  • Only carried when heading out on a trip:
    • Warn Bag
      • (3) 3/4" shackles
      • Tree trunk protector
      • Snatch block
      • 30' recovery strap
      • Gloves
      • ARB Tire deflator Kit
    • ARB CKMP12 Air compressor
    • Jerry can
    • Misc Tools/Straps/Fuses/Tape
    • First Aid Kit
  • Always carried (mounted to roof rack):
    • Jumper cables
    • MaxTrax
    • Krazy Beaver Shovel
    • Tie downs
    • GMRS handheld radios
    • Trauma Kit
    • Secondary battery box
Next major item I plan to get is a Warn Zeon 12-S winch. But that's going to be a lot of work (and pricey :grimacing: ) to get mounted to the front of my LR5.

IronRangeOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

St Paul, MN, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Sassenberg
Member #

This is a perfect jumping off point, I’ve been a member about a month and I’m fresh to wheeling as a driver and no longer a co pilot in my buddy’s 4x4. As of right now my recovery kit is a

30’ strap
Tree saver
2 pairs of iron 3/4” shackles
1 pair of soft shackles
1 snatch block
1 basic drag chain
And of course gloves

future investments will be some max tracs and I’m saving for a warm winch. Any advice, brands to check out, or general things a newbie should have would be greatly appreciated. Thus far this community has been super welcoming and I’m learning a ton.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Yes, found yome pics on my harddrive from the time when I fitted the box:

Also useful while cooking :smiley:

Cheers, Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That is awesome! Nice work and very useful.
Thank you. This kind of boxes are available from different manufacturers here in Europe for LR Defenders. But maybe fit also other rigs or can easily be built for other rigs.

This thread is really good. Interesting to see what different storage solutions people have in their rigs for storing the recovery equipment.

Cheers, Bjoern

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I got nothing fancy, just a small duffel I keep in the truck with some straps, shackles, and such. I keep a hi-lift mounted in the cab and carry the traction boards if we're going west to the desert.
I cleaned up, painted, and replaced a bunch of this about a month ago. Need to replace the older yellow strap one of these days, it's starting to fray a bit.

retrieval gear.jpg

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I’ve seen these floating around but was unsure of the brand or their field performance, thanks for the tip!
There’s a channel on u-toob called “seek adventure” that does a really good head to head between the x bull and the max trax.
It’s surprising how well they held up. Not sure about snow use but they seemed ok for warmer weather.

Reactions: IronRangeOverland

IronRangeOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

St Paul, MN, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Sassenberg
Member #

I’ve seen these floating around but was unsure of the brand or their field performance, thanks for the tip!
There’s a channel on u-toob called “seek adventure” that does a really good head to head between the x bull and the max trax.
It’s surprising how well they held up. Not sure about snow use but they seemed ok for warmer weather.
Just gave it a look, seems like both are very resilient. Especially if they’re layered on top of each other. Killer source for field application and performance on products, thanks a lot!

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

2 maxtrax, shovel and a strap. It is enough to get out of most situations, except rivers. Takes a bit of work compared with a winch. I plan to get 2 additional maxtrax. So far I used the maxtrax about 3 times in 4 years. Normally I avoid extreme off-roading, but shit happens...

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
The Seek Adventure kid looks like he's about 12 but he puts out some great videos. Another good recovery type video of his is one going over the different use cases of D shackles vs soft shackles.

I have D shackles and a winch on my front bumper, carry this bag in the back.
3D2519B7-8ED5-4880-B0AB-D974D5968F3D.jpeg

Last edited: