Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
No matter how often I go through what I'm taking it always seems I'm forgetting something. Last weekend however I really did forget some essentials. Like cold weather gear. I knew it was going to be cold at seven thousand feet, but it didn't register until the first night when it was 28 degrees with a 13 mile an hour wind in a three season tent. Or simple things like a way to wash pans used to make dinner. All in all it was a good solo trip, and an even better shakedown trip leading to the Expo.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

If this might help...I make a list of the stuff I take each trip. Not down to the smallest detail but hit most things. When I get back I go through that list and mark each item i didnt use. I use a spiral of some sort for this..as I am old school. I am sure those of you more computer savy might make a spread sheet. The next trip I make the list comes out and decisions are made as to what to take the next time. Over a few trips you will start leaving some things at home and remembering to take an old coffee can to put the grease you created making bacon. I dont like pouring it on the ground.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I'm not sure if it was because life is more complicated or if I'm getting more forgetful but I'm usually more prepared and organized than this. Although I had less than an hour to pack the truck and get out of town and worked a seven day stretch leading up to the weekend.

On a side note, I stopped by and talked with the camp hosts on site for overland Expo yesterday. Not sure if I was the only one interested or not, but there are no shower facilities on site, and only portable potties available, at least at the campground. There is water available at least.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
On a side note, I stopped by and talked with the camp hosts on site for overland Expo yesterday. Not sure if I was the only one interested or not, but there are no shower facilities on site, and only portable potties available, at least at the campground. There is water available at least
Typically, they have showers there, some are on site, some are 'sponsored' by vendors like the company that sells hot water heaters. That was a good one.

Port-O-Lets are all over there. With the new venue this year, maybe the hosts aren't aware of the magnitude of humanity that is about to converge on them!

Overland Expo does it right usually, may be some teething pains with the new place, but it should work out. I make a plan to be prepared for anything I need, including toilet and shower, and then if stuff is provided, all the better.

Dan.

Reactions: BeardedOverland

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Typically, they have showers there, some are on site, some are 'sponsored' by vendors like the company that sells hot water heaters. That was a good one.

Port-O-Lets are all over there. With the new venue this year, maybe the hosts aren't aware of the magnitude of humanity that is about to converge on them!

Overland Expo does it right usually, may be some teething pains with the new place, but it should work out. I make a plan to be prepared for anything I need, including toilet and shower, and then if stuff is provided, all the better.

Dan.
I've driven by the fairgrounds several times, yesterday was the first time I explored the campground (although they are not officially open until May, I found an unlocked gate, shhhh) looks like plenty of room, so it shouldn't be cramped. I admit this is our first time to Expo so I'm not sure what to expect.