Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
just an idea you say for overland travellers , instead of the general service icon , make a new one for groceries store / food store ? like a shopping cart would be easier to resupply with food etc . just an idea ?!

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you for your suggestion. That could indeed be a good idea. While such stores are of course easy to find in urban areas, this is often not so easy in remote areas. And even if there is a store there, in some countries it is not always recognizable as such from the outside. That's why I sometimes use opensource maps that have this information. Or I look in the small villages, for example, from where locals are walking with bread or fruit and vegetables. Of course, we have to be careful not to overload the map with too many icons, but as said this is a good idea for remote areas and certain countries. I look forward to further suggestions and opinions on this.

@Kent R What do you think? Would it be possible in principle to implement this with one of the next releases?

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you for your suggestion. That could indeed be a good idea. While such stores are of course easy to find in urban areas, this is often not so easy in remote areas. And even if there is a store there, in some countries it is not always recognizable as such from the outside. That's why I sometimes use opensource maps that have this information. Or I look in the small villages, for example, from where locals are walking with bread or fruit and vegetables. Of course, we have to be careful not to overload the map with too many icons, but as said this is a good idea for remote areas and certain countries. I look forward to further suggestions and opinions on this.

@Kent R What do you think? Would it be possible in principle to implement this with one of the next releases?
I will bring it up with Corrie at our next meeting, should be soon.
On my list.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

I will bring it up with Corrie at our next meeting, should be soon.
On my list.
Great. Thank you!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great. Thank you!
"Overload map"... just provide a filter for icons, like a list of checkboxes. Like ioverlaner has. Want to see camp spots? Click tent box. Want to see grocery also, check the cart box. Basic map display interface.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion.

We do have this filter option already on the map. So, to display just some POIs it's easy. However, we already have almost 30 different icons and should be careful not to make it too complicated to distinguish them all when entering POIs.

Bjoern

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion.

We do have this filter option already on the map. So, to display just some POIs it's easy. However, we already have almost 30 different icons and should be careful not to make it too complicated to distinguish them all when entering POIs.

Bjoern
Thanks Bjoern, I was typing the same response when I saw your msg.

All good ideas by member, keep them coming and we will see what works and what doesn't.