Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Portland, Oregon, United States
First Name
Aqua
Last Name
Woodland
Member #

What are your favorite Northern Oregon trails and campsites? I’m talking coast to Idaho, and everything in between!

I currently live in the Portland area but I want to get out into some backcountry as the weather is getting cooler and less and less people are out and about.

Down to drive just about anywhere.

Cheers!

Last edited:

RangerJosh

Rank I

Contributor I

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Weathers
It doesn't seem like our PNW forum is very active...

I've got some favorite places, like Elk Lake Campground (the one in Marion County, OR, near Detroit Lake) - its a rough ride to get there, but it is a gorgeous little rustic campground. I also really like Wildcat Campground, outside of Prineville, OR. It is really busy during the summer months, especially on weekends, but in the fall it can be perfect and quiet.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Have really been enjoying exploring the eastern side of Oregon, lots of history and tracks for miles

dubsludge

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Portland, Oregon, United States
First Name
Aqua
Last Name
Woodland
Member #

Have really been enjoying exploring the eastern side of Oregon, lots of history and tracks for miles
My apologies, this thread has gotten away from me.

Do you have any specific areas that are top of your list? I’m mainly looking for some good beginner trails since I’m a newbie and currently have a stock vehicle.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My apologies, this thread has gotten away from me.

Do you have any specific areas that are top of your list? I’m mainly looking for some good beginner trails since I’m a newbie and currently have a stock vehicle.
Lots of trails listed and ranked all over Oregon. Northeast Oregon is a utopia of networks ranging from easy to extreme. No matter where you want to go out here having a stock 4 wheel drive will get you there. I’ve been out here 44 years driving the trails with everything from a Ford Courier to a full blown truggy.

Reactions: 15PSD and dubsludge