Plano Trunk sizes

• HTML tutorial

David B

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
Member #

Just wondering what (you guys think) the most versatile size for the Plano sportsman trunks are? Reading the dimensions online doesn't really give much of a feel for what they are like in real life.

I'll be using the to store bedding, cookware, food and miscellaneous bits and pieces - thinking I want one box per category. I'll be traveling with them in the back of a long-bed Tacoma, if that helps in figuring out which size is most appropriate.

Thanks in advance!
--David

David B

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
Member #

Good point! I've had that problem moving house many times - boxes of books sure do weigh a lot...

The Klumps

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fenton, Missouri
Member #

My only advise is to consider size vs weight when loaded. Moving loaded large footlocker cases can be a pain!!!!!
Good luck in your search.....
This is why I chose the ones I did.
Easier to load two smaller ones than one large.

I ended up getting the Plano 1819's,
Not the heavy duty ones like Michael uses.
I compared the 2 and only found slight difference between the two.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: David B

David B

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
Member #

This is why I chose the ones I did.
Easier to load two smaller ones than one large.

I ended up getting the Plano 1819's,
Not the heavy duty ones like Michael uses.
I compared the 2 and only found slight difference between the two.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
The heavy duty ones look cool, but the biggest thing missing from both is the lack of a seal. There's a DIY thread around here that solves it - that's what I'm planning to do.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I can't remember the sizes, but I got 2 Small, 1 Medium, 1 Large. For my JKU, the perfect size is the Medium so I plan to retire the Large. It's also big enough that it's easy to move around. The small ones are always handy and i can easily load 3 of them on my roof rack, both size and weight.

David B

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
Member #

I can't remember the sizes, but I got 2 Small, 1 Medium, 1 Large. For my JKU, the perfect size is the Medium so I plan to retire the Large. It's also big enough that it's easy to move around. The small ones are always handy and i can easily load 3 of them on my roof rack, both size and weight.
I was running around with a measuring tape yesterday. I think I can get the smalls in the back of my truck when the seats are folded flat. The large would fit in the bed, so I'm not sure if the medium would end up being an awkward in-between when I'm loading up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I've got 3 1719s... I think they are the medium size. I like them. I can fit 3 abreast between the wheel wells in the back of our 4Runner, they're stackable, and they're reinforced, so my big @ss can sit on them. They are 30" long and about 14" tall. There is a slight taper to them, so at the bottom they're about 11.5" wide, but get wider at the top (14.5"). Best part is they run around $20.

Oh... and as far as use goes. In one of them I have a 6p and 4p tent, ground sheet, tarp, hammock, and can fit some more.