drabina

Rank II

Enthusiast II

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
I am planning on spending three days near Williamsport and would like to go on a two full day excursions in Loyalsock State Forest. I got the Purple Lizard maps and I am reading/watching stuff available on the internet but I would like to get some recommendations for a day trips from the forum members. I have a slightly lifted Outback with AT tires and skid plates so not looking for anything like rock crawling. Fire roads are fine. Few months back, my kids and I did few trails in BESF and had so much fun. I am looking for a trip which involves riding, short hiking, sightseeing, fishing, swimming, etc. Any pointers on where to ride and what to see?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
If you got the Purple Lizard map you got the best resource for the area.

Here is some ideas I had come up with for my trip.

The best I can tell you is, drive to the closest end of the forest to you and follow the map.

Any more specific questions ask away,I can probably help.

Reactions: MuckSavage

drabina

Rank II

Enthusiast II

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Thanks @DevilDodge. Do you know if there are any more advanced off-road trails in the park? Looking at all the info, it seems that all are fire roads that can be accessed pretty much by any car.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks @DevilDodge. Do you know if there are any more advanced off-road trails in the park? Looking at all the info, it seems that all are fire roads that can be accessed pretty much by any car.
I mentioned in my post that the very first thing I did was look at the legend for 4x4 HC roads and there are none.

That said, they do open roads in hunting season and with an active weather event, your rig could be tested.

If you are looking for more advanced off road trails in a State Forest you won't find them. First (a play on words) you have to stay on the road in state forests. Second, if you find something that is more advanced, you probably shouldn't be there.

If you want advanced off road trails, you will have to go to one of the off road parks. And honestly, unless you have some over built rig...you would have more fun in a State Forest with a stock rig.

Of course there is always SharpBack Hollow and HenStep in Bald Eagle. People just driving in circles there. Get there soon, I feel the gates are not too far in our future!

Loyalsock is pretty proactive with keeping the landscape peaceful and protected. Same with Tuscarora and Rothrock.

Bald Eagle seems to be the go to for the off road stuff. But, I wonder how much longer it will be overlooked.

You are correct, forest roads that can be accessed by any car. In PA the theme is off pavement travel to motorized campsites...unless you want to camp in a parking lot at the off road parks.

Raush Creek, Famous Reading Outdoors. AOAA, Rock Run, The Lannding to name a few!

drabina

Rank II

Enthusiast II

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Thanks again. We did the Henstep in BESF and it was fun but not challenging even for the Outback. Only on one other road we had to build a ramp from rocks as the drop was big enough that it would take the bumper off.

For Loyalsock, I guess I will plan the route around the sight seeing spots.

drabina

Rank II

Enthusiast II

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
An update: We spend one full day driving thru Loyalsock State Forest. Most of the trails were just easy forest roads. We still had fun exploring and sightseeing. But at the end of the day, we found a road that was just an icing on the cake - Loyalsock Rd leading to a vista view. Not sure if this was because of the recent rain or location of the road but there were tons of water puddles we had to go thru. Kids were so happy even though I was a bit worried that if we get stuck, we may get help next day because it was so late in the evening. Overall, it was a very nice trip. Thanks @DevilDodge for info. We will definitely be back to do more exploring.