JGH

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, United States
First Name
John (JG)
Last Name
Hudik
I'm John (Jay), from east Dallas. I have a 2018 TRD ORP that I purchased in mid April and after a lot of time,(3 months) and dollars, I'm nearing completion on our overland buggy! Low mileage with a totally new suspension, new rubber, new bumpers, rock sliders, winch , awnings and privacy tent,. The kitchen and water are close. Need to think the electrical out. but my Eco Flo should get me through the interim. Some roll their wishful eyes at the money I've spent the last three months, but please understand at 75 y/o, I've been researching, planning and saving for this project for a long time.

I have not wheeled for forty years after loving my 1970 Land Cruiser/Manafree build way up in the Smokey Mountains! We had some acreage, and were at a high elevation and surrounded by nine ranges, mostly owned by Liberty Mutual and two National Forests. This meant on a clear day when you could literally see for many miles, you didn't see a single house. Occasionally we would see the sun reflecting off a windshield on the highest point of the Blueridge Pkwy....23 miles away as a crow flies. Most of our wheeling was on old logging trails that went on for miles and miles, and together with the FJ, provisions and a good chain saw, we could go where no one had been for 50-60 years, and they were loggers. I wanted to see more of our beautiful country but it stopped at the Smokies. I have had opportunities to do it, but it just didn't happen. As a single dad in the 80's with one daughter, I wanted to ...but... Now at a young 75, and two adventurous granddaughters, I gotta get it done now or never!

I'll need to take a couple of dry runs to get things worked out and hope to do a few 3-5 day trips soon. All of the digital aids like this site, Gaia, On X, etc. will be a big plus...when I figure how to use them!

I would love to do some close-in meet and greet dry runs in the next 60 days! I have a lot to learn, many questions and need some traveling friends too!

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Jay (@John (Jay)_3cd1e3 ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Local Experts for Texas.

There are a few DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet & Ft Worth West Meetup

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hello Jay (@John (Jay)_3cd1e3 ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Local Experts for Texas.

There are a few DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet & Ft Worth West Meetup

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us..

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm John (Jay), from east Dallas. I have a 2018 TRD ORP that I purchased in mid April and after a lot of time,(3 months) and dollars, I'm nearing completion on our overland buggy! Low mileage with a totally new suspension, new rubber, new bumpers, rock sliders, winch , awnings and privacy tent,. The kitchen and water are close. Need to think the electrical out. but my Eco Flo should get me through the interim. Some roll their wishful eyes at the money I've spent the last three months, but please understand at 75 y/o, I've been researching, planning and saving for this project for a long time.

I have not wheeled for forty years after loving my 1970 Land Cruiser/Manafree build way up in the Smokey Mountains! We had some acreage, and were at a high elevation and surrounded by nine ranges, mostly owned by Liberty Mutual and two National Forests. This meant on a clear day when you could literally see for many miles, you didn't see a single house. Occasionally we would see the sun reflecting off a windshield on the highest point of the Blueridge Pkwy....23 miles away as a crow flies. Most of our wheeling was on old logging trails that went on for miles and miles, and together with the FJ, provisions and a good chain saw, we could go where no one had been for 50-60 years, and they were loggers. I wanted to see more of our beautiful country but it stopped at the Smokies. I have had opportunities to do it, but it just didn't happen. As a single dad in the 80's with one daughter, I wanted to ...but... Now at a young 75, and two adventurous granddaughters, I gotta get it done now or never!

I'll need to take a couple of dry runs to get things worked out and hope to do a few 3-5 day trips soon. All of the digital aids like this site, Gaia, On X, etc. will be a big plus...when I figure how to use them!

I would love to do some close-in meet and greet dry runs in the next 60 days! I have a lot to learn, many questions and need some traveling friends too!
Welcome to Overland Bound Jay
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Some Local Experts are; in Texas @roots66 & @Coreymol, and in the DFW area you can also contact @Prerunner1982
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Here is a Midwest expo in MO MOORE OVERLANDING AND OFF-ROAD EXPO // OZARK EMPIRE FAIRGROUNDS – SPRINGFIELD, MO
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Welcome, Jay! Great setup you have there.

rolate

Rank I

Contributor III

United States
First Name
rolate
Last Name
zon

It's a really amazing idea. Thanks for share this helpful information.

Last edited: