Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
As many of you know it is getting harder and harder to plan trips in the during wildfire season due to the wildfires and smoke. The wild fires close sections of off road travel and camping territory with some forests totally closed due to the fire danger.

The good thing about the fires is that they are restricted to certain areas making them fairly easy to plan around and avoid by knowing where they are. The smoke from the fires is much harder to plan around. One day an area may be smoke free and the next day the smoke could be so thick that it could be a health hazard.

I use the websites listed below when planning a trip, during fire season, to determine where the fires are in comparison to my planned route, the air quality along the way and smoke plume paths. They have proved helpful.

InciWeb the Incident Information System primarily shows federal wildfire location and information for the United States. It may or may not show state and local fires. Most of the links below get their fire data from this site. Click on the fire icon to see a popup that will take you to detailed information about the fire. Zoom in on the detail page to see the outline of the burned area.

AirNow.gov provides maps of the air quality, wildfires, smoke plumes around North America. Enter your ZIP Code to see air quality in your area. Click on the Maps & Data drop down and then Fire and Smoke to see a map of the U. S. Zoom into the area you want to explore. Click on the round and square icons to see air quality monitor data. The map also shows the smoke spread across the area.

The U.S. Forest Service Blue Sky Daily Runs provides 36, 60 and 72 hour predicted smoke plumes for regions of the U. S. Click on the Map link in the table to see the model running the smoke predictions that area. WebSky v2

NOAA Global Systems Laboratory High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) images show the smoke plumes in various colors. The images are updated every six hours and extend out 48 hours from the update. You can view the smoke at near-surface, 1000 ft AGL, and 6000 ft AGL.

NASA-FIRMS Fire Information for Resource Management Systems (FIRMS) gives a view of the fires and smoke from space. Scroll to your area of the world and zoom in. Click the VIIRS NOAA-20 or the VIIRA S-NPP or Modis/Terra links in the side bar to load the smoke layers.

Thanks to @WTSMatt for two other sources of wildfire information are:
Wildfire Intel Forum Is a free and open forum for discussing everything wildfire.
Alert Wildfire ALERTWildfire is a consortium of The University of Nevada, Reno, University of California San Diego, and the University of Oregon that provides fire cameras and tools to help firefighters and first responders.

One more thing your may need to check on is where the forest service and other agencies are planning and doing prescribed burns. @M Rose figured out how to find them. Do a Google search for the area you are wanting to explore fallowed by the words “prescribed burn.” For Example “Wallow Whitman National Forrest Prescribed Burn”. The result will take you to the ArcGIS website where you can see the current, planned and completed prescribed burns for that area.

Last edited:

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
A few other really useful links especially here in CA is...
and

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
As many of you know it is getting harder and harder to plan trips in the during wildfire season due to the wildfires and smoke. The wild fires close sections of off road travel and camping territory with some forests totally closed due to the fire danger.

The good thing about the fires is that they are restricted to certain areas making them fairly easy to plan around and avoid by knowing where they are. The smoke from the fires is much harder to plan around. One day an area may be smoke free and the next day the smoke could be so thick that it could be a health hazard.

I use the websites listed below when planning a trip, during fire season, to determine where the fires are in comparison to my planned route, the air quality along the way and smoke plume paths. They have proved helpful.

InciWeb the Incident Information System shows wildfire location and information for the United States. Most of the links below get their fire data from this site. Click on the fire icon to see a popup that will take you to detailed information about the fire. Zoom in on the detail page to see the outline of the burned area.

AirNow.gov provides maps of the air quality, wildfires, smoke plumes around North America. Enter your ZIP Code to see air quality in your area. Click on the Maps & Data drop down and then Fire and Smoke to see a map of the U. S. Zoom into the area you want to explore. Click on the round and square icons to see air quality monitor data. The map also shows the smoke spread across the area.

The U.S. Forest Service Blue Sky Daily Runs provides 36, 60 and 72 hour predicted smoke plumes for regions of the U. S. Click on the Map link in the table to see the model running the smoke predictions that area. WebSky v2

NOAA Global Systems Laboratory High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) images show the smoke plumes in various colors. The images are updated every six hours and extend out 48 hours from the update. You can view the smoke at near-surface, 1000 ft AGL, and 6000 ft AGL.

NASA-FIRMS Fire Information for Resource Management Systems (FIRMS) gives a view of the fires and smoke from space. Scroll to your area of the world and zoom in. Click the VIIRS NOAA-20 or the VIIRA S-NPP or Modis/Terra links in the side bar to load the smoke layers.
See DM

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Planned burns can also be an issue; last year we had to scramble and find a new base camp site because we discovered that a planned burn was occuring. Unfortunately info about these burns vary from agency to agency and region to region. @M Rose / @reaver do you remember any more specifics about this?

Great info! Thanks!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Planned burns can also be an issue; last year we had to scramble and find a new base camp site because we discovered that a planned burn was occuring. Unfortunately info about these burns vary from agency to agency and region to region. @M Rose / @reaver do you remember any more specifics about this?

Great info! Thanks!
So in the case of last year’s trip, our main base camp location happened to be in the middle of a prescribed burn and forest management project. I found the information on the land management website under the current year Forest management plan. It used to be real easy to find, but it looks like BLM and NFS has updated their websites so I can’t find the information to pass along.

Edit: Google search the area you are wanting to explore fallowed by “prescribed burn”
For Example “Wallow Whitman National Forrest Prescribed Burn” which will give the fallowing result

Reactions: reaver and Ubiety

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Check out the “Fires - Wildfire Maps and Info” app. The logo is a red flame on a brown background.
It’s a singular point of access for various wildfire resources: InciWeb, CalFire, NOAA, etc. in the U.S., plus several Australian reporting agencies for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere. Easy to understand and use.

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety and reaver

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Thanks for the information. I am going through a reroute of our planned trip this year because of the bad NM fires and the Carson National Forest being closed right now