Jonathon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Marlow, OK, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Magnus
My gf and I recently moved to Oklahoma south of OKC. We are trying to find camp grounds that are dispersed or just like hidden with little to no people. I have a jeep that is built some what and capable. We are used to camping and off-roading in Arizona. Anyone know any good locations? Northern Texas, eastern New Mexico, and western Arkansas are do able as well. At the moment just trying to brain storm locations within a days drive of us in order to start exploring the areas around us.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
My gf and I recently moved to Oklahoma south of OKC. We are trying to find camp grounds that are dispersed or just like hidden with little to no people. I have a jeep that is built some what and capable. We are used to camping and off-roading in Arizona. Anyone know any good locations? Northern Texas, eastern New Mexico, and western Arkansas are do able as well. At the moment just trying to brain storm locations within a days drive of us in order to start exploring the areas around us.
I just soend 2 weeks at Sandy Sanders WMA (west OK) there where not many people there, only a handful of cars where seen in 14 days. Also pretty much anywhere in the ozarks its good, I believe there are a few wilelife management areas, not sure they have camping or not. I would look on the OB1 map for campsites, trails/routes etc that people have uploaded and reviews and try them out. Then tag personal places of interest you see on the way to them that you want to explore in the future.

Reactions: Jonathon

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

Keep in mind that state WMA areas such as Sandy Sanders require an active hunting or fishing license and not all allow camping and even the ones that do have blackout dates during certain hunts. There are very few dispersed camping areas in Oklahoma except for the National Forest Land in the SE part of the state. Your best bet is to get a lifetime fishing license or an annual hunting or fishing license if you want to explore the WMA areas, beyond that it's state parks and a relatively small part of the state. There isn't anything like the vast BLM or NF lands you find in Arizona, unfortunately. There is the Black Kettle National Grasslands out west with a few free campgrounds and a handful of dispersed sites.

Reactions: Jonathon