Plain vs Serrated knife

• HTML tutorial

Japhy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tega Cay, SC, USA
Member #

Just my two cents, LTWright Bushcrafter and ESSE Izula are always in my pack when out in the woods. That being said, most of the time I am constantly using my Swiss Army knife and a folder. ESSE knives are awesome, easy to maintain

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Whoe I knife thread! I didn't expect to see this! I have been a knife fan most of my life. Since I was in high school I have nearly always had some sort of a Swiss in my pocket never had the super fat one. Last year my wife bought me the biggest swiss I have ever seen. The main blade is both. I use it daily.

Reactions: Cryptid Species

Cryptid Species

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Member #

I use a plain edge, it’s easy to sharpen and I don’t have much use for serrations ( not cutting much strap or rope on a daily). My personal favorite knife company is ZT. A little pricey but well worth it( kershaw is the sister company, much more affordable because of the steel options). Esee is a great company I have my eye on a couple of their fixed blades. Keep in mind primary usages and research your steel. Or just get a sexy knife.

Reactions: T.Shack

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

U
I use a plain edge, it’s easy to sharpen and I don’t have much use for serrations ( not cutting much strap or rope on a daily). My personal favorite knife company is ZT. A little pricey but well worth it( kershaw is the sister company, much more affordable because of the steel options). Esee is a great company I have my eye on a couple of their fixed blades. Keep in mind primary usages and research your steel. Or just get a sexy knife.
Uhhhh arn't most knives sexy in some way? Yeah I really love knives. Lol

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

My daily carry is a Kershaw Ken Onion. That lives in my pocket no matter where I go. I have an Essee Izula I pack with me when I'm not in an office. And countless other knives (my wife thinks I have a problem).

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I used to prefer a partially serrated blade on a folder but my preference changed many years ago. Even more recently I decided to quit buying cheap stuff and buy things right the first time. This includes knives. I have an esee 6, 3, cr 2.5, and pr4. All are straight edge and absolutely awesome.

Last edited:

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

The knife I've been using a lot is a Svord peasant knife. It's got a lot of the advantages of a folding knife and the sold feel of a full tang knife. I have the 3" blade and I use it a lot as my utility knife when in the garage and out and about.

To boot it's under $20. Needs a bit of sharpening when you get it but can get an edge and hold it well.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

The knife I've been using a lot is a Svord peasant knife. It's got a lot of the advantages of a folding knife and the sold feel of a full tang knife. I have the 3" blade and I use it a lot as my utility knife when in the garage and out and about.

To boot it's under $20. Needs a bit of sharpening when you get it but can get an edge and hold it well.
That looks great! Plus at the price if if gets lost (or when? Who has never lost a knife) it is not a huge thing. I will be looking that up.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

If you do pic one up here is a quick note: Some folks have a problem with the blade banging on the rear chicago screw. I have the screw tightened down so the bade never quite reaches the screw to bang on it. You'll likely need to adjust the screws when you get it to fit your feel for how it should open.

It's the simplest folding knife I have ever seen.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Whoe I looked on line. I saw some down to 12-13 dollar range. hmm a couple extra in different pack pockets! Nice!

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Love my ESEE's I carry a Candiru, or a Izula-II every day. My day pack has a ESEE-3MIL strapped to it. They all have great weight and edge retention.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Both serve their purpose very well. You have to look at what you plan on doing with the blade. If you're planning on cutting through rope or twine or anything like that, I'd definitely say go with a serrated blade. Otherwise, I recommend a plain/straight blade.

In regards to ESEE. That is MY personal go to blade. I love the design and the feel in your hand. Just fits my hand well. That is not to say there are not some other amazing designs out there. But, for the price point and the design and the capability, I choose ESEE. Additionally, I choose fixed blades over folders for daily carry/EDC. I do have PLENTY of both styles from many manufacturers and designers but choose to carry a small pocket folder (Kershaw Onion) for simple cutting tasks in front of people since I won't be sad if I lo se it compared to losing my Chris Reeve Sebenza (which I think I would actually cry from how much money would've been lost...not recommend unless you really dive deep into knife design). The ESEE I carry along the small of my back, scout style (forgive the crudeness of the sheath as it was my first self built).

The straight/plain blade can accomplish most, if not all, tasks you may need. Need to chop, grab a thick branch and knock the blade through. Need to fillet, sharpen and slide it though. Need to stab and gouge, its all about angles and hand placement.

I know some will disagree and that's okay.... because its just my two cents. esee.jpg

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Both. Plain blade for just about everything, a serrated for emergency purposes. Nothing goes through a seat belt like serrated unless it is a paracord blade, but those take some extra thinking to get it right. A serrated is out, under, rip, done.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Both. Plain blade for just about everything, a serrated for emergency purposes. Nothing goes through a seat belt like serrated unless it is a paracord blade, but those take some extra thinking to get it right. A serrated is out, under, rip, done.
What do you mean by paracord blade?

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
What do you mean by paracord blade?
The curved blade is a paracord blade. I used to have one of these years ago (though you’ll never catch me jumping outta a plane), the other blade is a switch blade. Supposed to be used for cutting parachute rigging. That curved blade will cut you to the bone just looking at it.

Attachments