Pismo beach Oceano dunes trip 4/6-4/8

• HTML tutorial

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hey how does camping work out there on Pismo. Are there reservations for sites? Dispersed camping? What gives?

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Since you guys are interested in wheeling here, I thought I'd post this information from the Calif 4 Wheel Drive Association.
I used to wheel at Pismo back in the late 70's when you could drive 18 miles down the beach to the cliff for hill climb craziness! On Memorial Day back then about 25000 people would camp and party on the beach.... then they put the fence up and closed off most of the beach and dunes.

State Parks/county deal could end recreation at Oceano SVRA

We need your help NOW!

From Jeff Blewett, Cal4Wheel Natural Resources Consultant

State Parks has been bullied into a deal with the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District (APCD). We have officially been set-up to incrementally lose all recreation opportunity in our park over the next five years starting November of this year!

State Parks and the county Air Pollution Control District agreed to a landmark settlement this week that officials say would reduce air pollution from Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area by about 30 percent by 2023 and cause some off-road riding areas to be closed this year.

The county Air Pollution Control District Hearing Board will hear details of the settlement and take public comment at a meeting on Wednesday, March 21, before deciding whether to accept or reject the proposal. The meeting is set for 9 a.m. at the San Luis Obispo City Council Chambers at 990 Palm St.

If this doesn't motivate you to speak out, I don't know what will. The time to act is NOW!
The best way to effect change is to write letters to the following people and ask them to investigate the validity of silica coming from the SVRA and what impact does the marine biological material coming from the ocean have on all the air monitoring data? Ask what percentage of dust is coming from the SVRA?

Let them know that until these vital questions are answered, areas of the Oceano Dunes SVRA should not be closed down!

Our challenge is to fill everyone’s inbox from the list below with mail. Just write ONE email and send it to everyone on the list below.

What should you say?
Make it personal, why do you like/love/enjoy the beach, make it real. Let them know we are tired of being used!

State the facts and ask them to investigate the validity of silica coming from the SVRA and what impact does the marine biological material coming from the ocean have on all the air monitoring data?

Ask what percentage of dust is coming from the SVRA?

I just need two minutes of your time to help save dune riding. WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW.

DO IT in the next 24 hours so we can strike while the iron is hot. Don’t miss this chance to make a real difference is the outcome of the dust issue. If 50% of the people who read this post send a letter just imagine the impact!

Send letters to:

secretary@resources.ca.gov
Lisa.Mangat@parks.ca.gov
Mat.Fuzie@parks.ca.gov
John.Ainsworth@coastal.ca.gov
info@slocleanair.org
jim@oceanodunes.org

Reactions: ScorpioVI

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

You can make reservations online for $10/night or purchase your pass when you arrive at the Ranger's Station. Same price for both.

You'll want to visit https://www.reservecalifornia.com and search for Oceano Dunes SVRA. DO NOT book "Pismo Beach", it's not the dunes area.

Typically you'll want to camp a ways off the water so you don't get washed out during high tide in the middle of the night. You can essentially camp anywhere, but it's best for the first person to grab a great spot (not too far from the pit toilets) and the rest can meet up. Find a mile marker sign for reference and share it on here for everyone to find.

In January, I camped at Mile Marker 5, about 100 yards from from the pit toilet and 100-150 yards from the water. It was perfect. Any closer to the water than that and people were getting washed out overnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks Stan! That's some great info. Didn't realize that was Easter weekend, coupled with me expecting my shell to come in that week, I think I'm going to bow out of this one.

The Mighty Expedition

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, CA
Member #

We will be at the beach this Thursday thru Sunday. Wont be camping on the beach but we will be out cruising the dunes quite a bit.
If you see The Mighy Expedition (its the lifted silver one on 35's) say hello. I definitely want to see the Bronco Stan.
I will have my CB on 22.
I'm Chris.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Bad news – I'm going to have to bail on this trip. I'll set up something for May/June so we can try to connect again.

For everyone else going this weekend - Have fun and be safe!